SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

Looking for video driver and codec advice

I'm a long-time computer user, but I never really got into the nuances of video drivers and codecs, so any help would be appreciated. I have an EVGA GeForce 7300 LE video card, and according to nVIDEA's product comparison page, that card supports most PureVideo features. What I'm not understanding is what I need to install to ensure that I am using the "best" codecs and drivers. I downloaded and installed the latest (v91.47) drivers, but is there anything else I need to install?

I ask because my S-video playback is good, but not great. video playback seems "soft" in that the video is not a s sharp or crisp as I had hoped. I've tried tweaking some of the calibration settings in the Source Setup screen, and I have tried adjusting settings on my 26" tube TV, and I think I have things set the best they can be, but they still fall a bit short of my original expectations. Interestingly, this ison video playback, only. The UI graphics are quite sharp and crisp.

Any suggestions?

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:02 AM
Sage Icon

What capture card/s are you using? If PVR 150/500's, the Hauppauge Tweak tool still works for spatial and temporal "blur". Stock settings are 8 & 0...I have mine at 6 & 1.

P
Old 09-28-2006, 08:24 AM
Sage Fanatic

All modern nvidia cards have purevideo capabilities, which just mean they can accelerated video decoding in hardware. The other thing you need which costs extra but has a free 30 day trial is the nvidia purevideo decoders You can give them a try, but I believe they are more beneficial for HDTV.

Have you tried playing a DVD through your computer? If the DVD looks sharp but your shows don't than the problem is in the recordings.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by malore
All modern nvidia cards have purevideo capabilities, which just mean they can accelerated video decoding in hardware. The other thing you need which costs extra but has a free 30 day trial is the nvidia purevideo decoders You can give them a try, but I believe they are more beneficial for HDTV.
Actually purevideo consists of more than just accelerating the decoding. It also consists of IVTC, bad edit detection, advanced hardware deinterlacing, hardware post processing, etc...

I don't know if I agree with the decoder being more beneficial for HD. As far as acceleration goes it is more useful for HD; however, the majority of my SD content is treated as film using the purevideo decoder with smart deinterlacing and without the purevideo decoder it gets treated incorrectly as video. I don't know how other decoders handle it, but I know the Sage decoder treats all of mine as video.

Quote:
Have you tried playing a DVD through your computer? If the DVD looks sharp but your shows don't than the problem is in the recordings.
Or couldn't it be a playback problem where the recordings aren't being deinterlaced properly.

Last edited by blade; 09-28-2006 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have problems with the 90 series drivers. Topic Here

I use the NVidia 84.21 driver and the PureVid 1.0.2.223. SD pictures look much better, for me atleast.

-Polen
Old 09-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Are older driver versions available, like the v84.21 you use?

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes, just google for them.

I would suggest using the newest drivers available unless they cause a problem for you. Nvidia is adding many purevideo improvements with just about every release. Also hardware post processing isn't available until the 9x.xx versions.

Just remember s-video is only going to look so good coming from a video card. Your biggest improvement will be when you get a HD display and move to component or dvi.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:23 AM
Sage Icon

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/

Using 84.25/.196 at the moment. 84.25 just lists "General Compatability Fixes" over 84.21, in the Release Notes. Either has worked fine on my box.

P