SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:20 PM
Sage User

Streaming to Miniclient

So this thread has been pretty quiet last year or so but... with the prevent push flag set in the properties file, OpenDCT set to convert output to a compatible codec at a reasonable bit-rate, a very fast server and a router than can handle my site-to-site vpn I can get full-quality streaming to work MOST of the time using the miniclient loaded on a Sony/Android TV (hard wired lan to the router/vpn endpoint).

You need:
miniplayer/forced_max_push_size=0
miniplayer/min_bandwidth_for_no_transcode=1500000
miniplayer/wan_prevent_push=false

I've noticed that (depending on WAN network latency) the bandwidth detection can be off substantially. I don't mean its wrong but latency during testing can throw a wrench into the math. The magic here (I think) is the "=1500000". If I have my units right that's way lower than the bandwidth that should stream well but does a good job tricking sage into giving full quality streaming a try.

This is with a gigabit fiber uplink and 100-300mb/s cable downlink and latency +/- 60ms.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:34 PM
Sage User

Follow-up - in OpenDCT I am using the ultrafast1080p setting.

While on the same bare metal VM host as my win2016 sagetv VM I keep OpenDCT in a separate UBUNTU VM (not using docker).

The ultrafast settings then are set to force transcoding on all streams (several places - read the comments).

I have this set to 12 threads at an average bit-rate of 6,400,000
And... out comes h264...

I probably should play with this more but it works (mostly).
Old 11-08-2019, 02:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks so much. I think this should do what i am looking for. Will give it a try and let you know how it works!
Old 11-11-2019, 08:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

So I made these settings and I have found most of the time I get high quality video at the remote location:

miniplayer/forced_max_push_size=0
miniplayer/min_bandwidth_for_no_transcode=1500000
miniplayer/wan_prevent_push=false

However, occasionally I get the much lower quality video and I am not sure why?

Also I am not sure how to adjust the ultrafast1080p settings and I have not found any references in a quick search. Limited time now but will look again tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Tags
miniclient, opendct, streaming, transcoding, wan