SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 11-07-2020, 09:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Recording Issues With HDPVR

I'm continuing to notice issues with my HDPVR units especially around Live TV.

1. Sometimes the transition from one scheduled program to the next (same channel, continuous stream) just causes the playback to halt. I have to stop and start live playback to get the show going. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Sometimes playback will just stop. I've specifically noticed this on CNN while trying to follow some of the election footage. If I watch direct on an STB, there will be a slight stutter in the video signal. I think this is tripping up the HDPVR. Other channels appear to be fine, this just seems to happen with CNN. Any suggestions on how to make it more resilient / recover from these kinds of stutters?

I had previously posted about some audio sync issues here: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66569 which I'm still trying to sort out as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old 11-07-2020, 09:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Thank you, I thought I was nuts. My HDPVR is doing exactly this - while watching or recording live TV, the time counter stops shy of the hour mark, or scheduled, tv-guide program change. Then everything stops, video goes black (but audio often continues), and then, eventually, live video returns.

Something in one of the latest updates to Sage or Java must have caused this, as no one is updating Hauppauge drivers again.

Are you seeing any time readout anomalies with old recordings? That’s also happening to my recordings, some not actually that old. The show is fine, but the time readout is split between negative and positive times. It makes me wonder if this guide, show-change video error is screwing up recordings too.

Does your video stop at the top of the clock if the recording/guide info is continuous and runs through the clock/hour change?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300ís networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 11-07-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

That sounds different than what I am experiencing.

I notice that while the live TV is playing, the progress bar is not actually showing progress. When I reach the end of the scheduled program time everything stops and it doesn't recover.

A scheduled recording seems to work as we record the local news every night and we are able to watch it 99% of the time.

I've been noticing these issues with PC client based playback, so a windows update or Java update certainly isn't out of the realm of possibilities if the issue is client side.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:45 PM
Sage Expert

I used to have a LOT of flaky behavior from my two HDPVRs back when I used the STB's HDMI output. The connection was STB HDMI out -> HDMI/component converter -> HDPVR component input. This resulted in repeated HDPVR lockups and bad recordings (especially near the program/commercial transitions). Trying all the recommended fixes (external fan on the HDPVR, new drivers, new power supply, daily reboots, etc, etc) never really seemed to help.

But (three years ago) stability dramatically improved when I stopped using HDMI altogether and connected the STB's component and L/R stereo outputs directly into the HDPVR. Since that change, about the only time the HDPVRs ever go out into the weeds is when the cable company reboots the STB (like for a firmware update). Apparently the HDPVR chokes trying to encode "no video input", but I have ways of managing **that**.
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.

Last edited by JustFred; 11-08-2020 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Component, not composite input
Old 11-08-2020, 08:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

As far as connections go:
  • Straight out of the STB's into the HDPVR using component and optical spdif cables.
  • Firewire connections from a PCI Firewire card to the STB's.
  • USB connections from the HDPVR's to USB 3.0 ports on the motherboard.
  • The STB's are locked at 720p.
  • The STB's, HDPVR's, and Unraid server are all in a closet along with some other equipment (PFsense router, switch, cable modem).
Old 11-08-2020, 09:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Maybe You've already tried this, but you're not going to like this suggestion.

Try removing the optical cable and use stereo. (I wouldn't like it either).

It could also be the optical connection isn't perfect, re-seating the cable may help.

The only constant in the Universe is change.