SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question all kinds of issues, please help :banghead:

I'm at my wits end with this mess. Please excuse me if I come across a little harsh, but I've spent the better part of 12 hours trying to sort this out, and I'm coming up empty handed.

The sage Media Center server specs are as follows:

Intel Core2 Quad Q8200 2.33ghz
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
4gb (2x2gb) Kingston ValueRam DDR2/800
Gigabyte GV-NX96T512H-B nVidia 9600GT 512MB
HEC Zephyr 750w power supply

Maxtor 20GB IDE Hard Drive (OS and Program Files)
Seagate 320GB SATA II Hard Drive (Recorded TV and Media Center Import Directories)
LG SATA II DVD/RW
Hauppauge PVR-150 with IR Receiver/Blaster (using receiver only, extended to my living room)
Hauppauge HDPVR rev D2
USB-UIRT

The above setup in red is less than 3 weeks old, blue is new yesterday, and everything else is from the old machine as the motherboard went in my previous Sage media center machine. After getting an HDPVR yesterday and unsuccessfully attempting to add it to my existing config i wiped and reloaded the machine with a fresh copy of XP Pro SP3. I'm using the latest version of Java, Sage, and I have installed the latest k-lite codec pack. I am using the SageMC_169.xml STV package with the iTV theme, but Sage behaves exactly the same way even when running the stock STV so I highly doubt that's an issue. I am not running the latest nVidia driver for my card, as the latest 2 drivers do not allow me to adjust the overscan on the component video to my TV properly. I have loaded all the latest windows updates. I am using the onboard realtek digital audio. The sage server is about 60' away from the TV, and uses component video, coax digital audio, and the IR reveiver from my PVR-150 card extended via Cat 5 cable to my living room. putting the sage server in the living room is not an option, as I don't want the mess in there. Anyway, on to the seemingly never ending list of problems.
  • Audio missing when skipping thru recorded HDTV. This just cropped up this evening, worked fine this morning - FIXED ITSELF, I think
  • imported .mkv movies not using ffdshow anymore for video, and audio streams are all wrong. I can't confirm that this worked before the wipe and reload, but I'm 90% sure that my mkv's were using ffdshow as I remember the little icon. I also don't remember having issues with audio streams either.
  • imported MP3's work fine when played with placeshifter, but won't play on the sage media server. this worked before the wipe and reload last night. FIXED - POST 11
  • recorded HDTV won't play on placeshifter, video or audio
  • Sage keeps trying to use the HDPVR as the primary tuner (I haven't yet tried the merit setting, but will probably after i'm done writing this) FIXED - POST 10

I'm sure there's more that I can add to that list, but it's all that I can think of at the moment.

What I'd love, since I'm about fed up with this, is a step-by-step process of what I need to install, and in what order, and then how to configure all this to work. I've spent far too much time trial and erroring with this and not getting anywhere. Buying an HD extender isn't exactly an option at the moment, as I've already spent quite enough on this setup in the last 3 weeks and if i spend anymore, my gf is probably going to kill me.

I hope that this post is detailed enough, but if there's anything i can be more specific about, please ask me, and i'll do my best to answer you. If you think you can better help me via IM, I have MSN, but can sign up for something else if necessary. I'm a computer tech for a living, so I can handle technical terms and proceedures, but all this audio/video shit is just over my head and I don't know where to start. I'm attaching my Sage properties file for examination if necessary along with a screenshot of my video/audio section in detailed setup.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg detailed setup.JPG (129.9 KB, 253 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt Sage.txt (54.4 KB, 676 views)

Last edited by kamikaze2112; 03-12-2009 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:04 PM
SageTVaholic

I'll tackle the few I know off the top of my head:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze2112 View Post
  • imported MP3's work fine when played with placeshifter, but won't play on the sage media server. this worked before the wipe and reload last night.
This is probably related to the HD-PVR software which seems to override the mp3 settings in SageTV. Give this a read for the fix.
Quote:
  • recorded HDTV won't play on placeshifter, video or audio
Will recorded SD play on placeshifter for you? When you are trying to play the recorded HDTV does it give you an error or anything?
Quote:
  • Sage keeps trying to use the HDPVR as the primary tuner (I haven't yet tried the merit setting, but will probably after i'm done writing this)
Yep, you can adjust the tuner priority with the merit settings.

Quote:
What I'd love, since I'm about fed up with this, is a step-by-step process of what I need to install, and in what order, and then how to configure all this to work.
Hang in there. It's probably best to tackle these issues one at a time and knock them out that way.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Sage Fanatic

After a clean install, this is what I installed to get things going for me. While I am using the Sage Client and Vista64, you'll see that SAF is recommended for XP SP3 so it might work for you too...
Old 03-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I'll tackle the few I know off the top of my head:

This is probably related to the HD-PVR software which seems to override the mp3 settings in SageTV. Give this a read for the fix.
I will try this tomorrow, i'm too tired at the moment to reliably follow any sort of instructions . Looks like that's probably going to fix it tho.

Quote:
Will recorded SD play on placeshifter for you? When you are trying to play the recorded HDTV does it give you an error or anything?
yes, recorded SD and live SD both work on placeshifter, but only from my SD tuner card. no error on the HDTV playback, just black screen and no audio. play timer in the OSD increments as if the file is playing.

Quote:
Yep, you can adjust the tuner priority with the merit settings.
I still need to read up on this a bit, as I don't fully understand it. as per my first point in this post, I'm too tired to worry about it tonight.

Quote:
Hang in there. It's probably best to tackle these issues one at a time and knock them out that way.
thanks, I'm not about to give up. Sage has given me well over 2 years of relatively trouble free operation. This is just it's way of keeping me in check, and not letting me go too hog wild on this stuff :P

Plus, I'm a sore loser, and I don't like getting beaten by a box of chips and silicon

I appreciate your help and will try some of this stuff tomorrow and report back in this thread
Old 03-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_E View Post
After a clean install, this is what I installed to get things going for me. While I am using the Sage Client and Vista64, you'll see that SAF is recommended for XP SP3 so it might work for you too...
I'll give that a read tomorrow, thanks for the tip

err, guess i mean later today, technically
Old 03-11-2009, 05:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

Your 4gb of ram may be giving you issues, I think that the 150 can not use more than 3gb ram. Try lowering the ram used by windows by going to start, run msconfig, boot.ini tab ((i believe it's that one) then advanced then maxmem and lower it to 3bg or 2gb if it wont allow 3. Reboot. This solved allot of my problems.
I got rid of the 150 and switched to a 2250 which doesnot have this max ram issue.

2xhd300
Old 03-11-2009, 06:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toony View Post
Your 4gb of ram may be giving you issues, I think that the 150 can not use more than 3gb ram. Try lowering the ram used by windows by going to start, run msconfig, boot.ini tab ((i believe it's that one) then advanced then maxmem and lower it to 3bg or 2gb if it wont allow 3. Reboot. This solved allot of my problems.
I got rid of the 150 and switched to a 2250 which doesnot have this max ram issue.
I'm not really having any issues with teh 150 card, plus I need it for the IR receiver since the whole setup is in a closet at the other end of the house. I wish that the guy that made the usb-uirt would put an RJ-45 jack on it for re-locating the IR Receiver, cause then I could just use that and ditch the 150 altogether. Thanks tho
Old 03-11-2009, 11:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm not really having any issues with teh 150 card, plus I need it for the IR receiver since the whole setup is in a closet at the other end of the house. I wish that the guy that made the usb-uirt would put an RJ-45 jack on it for re-locating the IR Receiver, cause then I could just use that and ditch the 150 altogether. Thanks tho
Couldn't you just use the IR blaster on the HDPVR?
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 03-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
Couldn't you just use the IR blaster on the HDPVR?
it's not the blaster I'm after, it's the external IR receiver that I have extended to my living room. unless the one on the HDPVR works the same as the pvr-150 i'd have no remote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok, fixed the reciever merit thing, seems to be prioritizing the SD box now and only using the HD box for HDTV. Exactly the behaviour I'm after.

The higher the number, the higher the priority, which personally I think is bass ackwards but whatev.

as you can see, I've set the HDPVR for merit 1 (default was 0) and the PVR-150 for merit 2 (again, default is 0). since I don't believe sage reads the properties file in any particular order, the name of the tuner you are setting is about 6-7 lines below the actual merit setting. So this problem seems to be fixed.

Always remember to completely close sage, and stop the service before modding your sage.properties file.

Last edited by kamikaze2112; 03-11-2009 at 06:15 PM. Reason: changed inline images to thumbnails
Old 03-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

^^^ sorry Opus, didn't realize there was a width restriction. I may change them to clickable thumbnails if that's ok

Anyway, I tried to get my Mp3's working again, and went thru the process that Brent suggested (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33517).

When I uninstalled TME, i could again play my mp3s. i checked the debug log, but didn't see anything that said DShowGraphFilters= when I played an MP3. i did notice as well that the ffdshow audio decoder icon showed up so I am assuming that's what it's using.

shutdown sage, re-installed TME, and added the
Code:
videoframe/mp3_audio_decoder_filter=ffdshow Audio Decoder
line to my sage.properties file. the line didn't exist, so I added it at the beginning of the videoframe section.

fired up sage, and I get the same behavior as before, mp3's no longer work.

On a side note, i tried playing HDTV with TME uninstalled, and it used the ffdshow video filter for about 3 seconds, then promptly crashed. it looked like shit anyway (for 3 seconds lol), so I'll stick with the Arcsoft filter for that

EDIT: Fixed the mp3 playback. Brent's suggestion does work, but I believe it needs to be clarified some.

If you are running SageTV as a service, you need to edit the SageClient.properties file with the
Code:
videoframe/mp3_audio_decoder_filter=ffdshow Audio Decoder
entry.

It wasn't exactly clear until i read a post on page 4 of that thread. Not to knock your so far excellent advice Brent, but maybe you can update your post to better reflect this. I see now that i've gone back and read over it better, it's mentioned in the vista instructions, but a little vague in the XP section. since I am not running vista, i skipped over that part. my bad

Anyway, it's now fixed.

Last edited by kamikaze2112; 03-11-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ok, a few new issues as of this morning, and one that I think has cleared itself up. I'm not losing sound anymore when I skip thru recorded HDTV, so I'm going to tenatively say that this is fixed, until I can test it further.

The new issues:
  • Volume level on HDTV is really quiet compared to SDTV. when switching back and forth, you have to do a lot of manual volume adjustment on my amplifier, it would be nice if there was a way to even this out somehow.
  • for some reason, the aspect ratio setting doesn't seem to be doing anything. I have a plasma TV so I like to stretch my SDTV to fill the entire screen to keep from having the static black bars on the sides. Something that would be nice, but not necessary, is if there's a way to default recording from one source to 'Fill' (for the SDTV) and 'Source' for the HDTV. It's not a big deal if i have to manually modify the AR, i just want it to work again .
Old 03-12-2009, 08:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
[*]for some reason, the aspect ratio setting doesn't seem to be doing anything. I have a plasma TV so I like to stretch my SDTV to fill the entire screen to keep from having the static black bars on the sides. Something that would be nice, but not necessary, is if there's a way to default recording from one source to 'Fill' (for the SDTV) and 'Source' for the HDTV. It's not a big deal if i have to manually modify the AR, i just want it to work again .[/LIST]
Can't you just use fill? HD source should be 720P or 1080i which is widescreen so therefore using fill and/or source would produce the same output (unless I am missing something here). My local news is an SD image and so the 720P image I receive from them, has black bars already embedded in the picture and therefore I can't be rid of them (then again I prefer the balck bars rather than the stretched image).
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 03-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
Can't you just use fill? HD source should be 720P or 1080i which is widescreen so therefore using fill and/or source would produce the same output (unless I am missing something here). My local news is an SD image and so the 720P image I receive from them, has black bars already embedded in the picture and therefore I can't be rid of them (then again I prefer the balck bars rather than the stretched image).
yea, I can do that too, but for some reason the SD source isn't stretching to fill the screen. I'll look into it a little further when I get home, was just something that I noticed when I was addressing the list of stuff my gf left for me regarding SageTV
Old 03-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

yay, time for another problem, this one just happened in the middle of one of my gf's shows, so now i'm in shit. For no reason whatsoever, audio dropped out on an HDTV recording. I changed channels and returned to the channel she was watching, and it came back, but of course she's watching it about 20 minutes behind the live recording, so I have 20 min of stuttering or no audio and a pissed off gf. much fun.

right now, I'm using just the stereo audio in on the HDPVR, when she's done i'll try using the optical instead. I don't know why this happened, we just finished watching an hour long program that had no problems at all, and I sat and watched about 2 hours of live HDTV last nite with no problems. it seems as tho it only happens when she is watching one of her shows. you think the computer is conspiring to get me killed?

Tags
ffdshow, hdpvr, mp3, setup