SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:25 AM
SageTVaholic

I need a good attic/outdoor antenna...

What antenna's are you guys using? I need one preferably for the attic, but I wouldn't hate the idea of an outdoor antenna. I've got my eye on this one from monoprice. What do you guys think? Seems kinda cheap to me, but it gets great reviews.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:56 AM
SageTVaholic

really need more info on your location/reception. Check out antennaweb.org to get an idea of what you'd need.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Do what Fuzzy said, but this is what I have installed IN my attic and it's great:

http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc...3360203&sr=8-4

If I put it on the roof I'd be picking up even more.
Software: Sage Server 7.1.9 on Windows 7 (Virtualized in ESXi)
Clients: i3-2105, ASRock Z68 Pro3-M, 4GB DDR3 1600, 64GB SATA III (OS), 2TB WD Green (Recording), PNY GT 430 // 2 x HD-300
Old 09-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Sage Fanatic

Was just going to recommend the one that ChaOConnor posted. There is also the smaller DB4 that is a little cheaper/smaller.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Sage User

Built my own after trying several

The design posted from amazon has been a DIY project for many - myself included.

http://lifehacker.com/5138746/build-...wn-dtv-antenna

Works great - better than what I have tried. Not the most attractive, but I bet your attic won't care. I also heard of people sealing it with a rubberized paint afterwards to put them outside.

I couple a few together and have great reception, cost < 10 dollars. Also, instead of coat hangers I used 12 gauge electrical wire.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by melluap View Post
The design posted from amazon has been a DIY project for many - myself included.

Works great - better than what I have tried. Not the most attractive, but I bet your attic won't care. I also heard of people sealing it with a rubberized paint afterwards to put them outside.

I couple a few together and have great reception, cost < 10 dollars. Also, instead of coat hangers I used 12 gauge electrical wire.
Do you get any sort of VHF reception with those?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Do you get any sort of VHF reception with those?
SolidSignal.com advertises it as follows:

Quote:
High gain across entire UHF band (UHF channels 14-69) and Enhanced VHF reception
Question to OP - How far are you from your towers?

Last edited by Naylia; 09-01-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Sage Icon

this might help...

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48146
Old 11-12-2010, 01:55 PM
SageTVaholic

UPDATE: I purchased the cheap one from monoprice and it works great. I'm ~40mi from my stations according to antennaweb. I'm surprised this works this well in my attic. 100% signal on all but one station and it is solid 75% with no artifacts. Best purchase in a while.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by melluap View Post

+1. I used 12-ga wire as well, and it's in my attic, works like a champ. I have it facing towers about 14 miles away and it is flawless, and it DOES get a couple of VHF channels as well (physical channels 10 and 12), even though it's not supposed to. I tried it facing at other towers about 45 miles away, and it got all but one of the channels I wanted. If it had been outdoors, I'm sure it would have had no problem, but I'm keeping it in the attic.

To get all the channels on the towers 45 miles away, and I use this antenna with 12-ga wire: http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/
It took a little figuring out and a lot of reading, but it works great. Both it and the "DB8" above were super easy and super cheap to make - luckily, I had the baluns laying around, and all the other materials as well, so it was "free". I made mine with 1x4's as the backbone.

By the way, I prefer www.tvfool.com over antennaweb. Tvfool has better topographical data as far as hills between you and the antenna towers.

On edit: didn't make it to the bottom of this thread and saw that the OP solved the problem already... oh, well, maybe this will help someone else...
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
+1. I used 12-ga wire as well, and it's in my attic, works like a champ. I have it facing towers about 14 miles away and it is flawless, and it DOES get a couple of VHF channels as well (physical channels 10 and 12), even though it's not supposed to. I tried it facing at other towers about 45 miles away, and it got all but one of the channels I wanted. If it had been outdoors, I'm sure it would have had no problem, but I'm keeping it in the attic.

To get all the channels on the towers 45 miles away, and I use this antenna with 12-ga wire: http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/
It took a little figuring out and a lot of reading, but it works great. Both it and the "DB8" above were super easy and super cheap to make - luckily, I had the baluns laying around, and all the other materials as well, so it was "free". I made mine with 1x4's as the backbone.

By the way, I prefer www.tvfool.com over antennaweb. Tvfool has better topographical data as far as hills between you and the antenna towers.

On edit: didn't make it to the bottom of this thread and saw that the OP solved the problem already... oh, well, maybe this will help someone else...
just because he solved the problem, doesn't mean we can't pile on

I built the gray-hoverman too, and it's awesome. I have a problem with one local station, but it's due to a combination of rain and mountains causing multipath problems. I made the mistake of building mine from bare 8 gauge copper wire. Way too much work to get that stuff bent into shape!

Here's a link to an antenna forum that I got a lot of information from:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=186
Old 11-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Sage Icon

I have struggled with a multi-path problem for years and have tried a lot of different tuners and antennas. Spent more money than I ever should have.

Best setup to date: HDHR with Winegard Model HD7210P (Ghost killer)
Good Rage and excellent for multi-path. At $62 well worth the money.