SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-29-2020, 11:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

MKV Video Conversion fails

I had a favorite configured for automatic conversion to H.264 Good Quality, and all the show from last season recorded and converted fine.

At some point since the spring/early-summer I have been unable to convert any recordings to H.264 MKV at all. They all fail immediately after starting.

I go to a particular recording and choose convert from the UI, and select Format: MPEG4 HDTV, Quality: Good Quality H.264 MKV.

I use sage in a docker on unraid. I am running 9.2.2 (it automatically upgraded when the docker restarted). I dont think any conversions have worked since the upgrade, though I am not sure.

Does anyone running 9.2.2 have video conversion to H.264 MKV working?

I dont notice any detail in the sagetv_0.log that even indicates a failure. Is there another log to examine?
Old 08-29-2020, 03:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Looked through the code and enabled some transcoder debugging and found:

Sat 8/29 16:16:38.703 [XcodeStderrConsumer@2d33c9ab] Requested output format 'MATROSKA,WEBM' is not a suitable output format

@jvl711, Could the changes in https://github.com/google/sagetv/pull/434 have broken the transcoder? It seems that is where 'MATROSKA,WEBM' was introduced.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:32 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg View Post
Looked through the code and enabled some transcoder debugging and found:

Sat 8/29 16:16:38.703 [XcodeStderrConsumer@2d33c9ab] Requested output format 'MATROSKA,WEBM' is not a suitable output format

@jvl711, Could the changes in https://github.com/google/sagetv/pull/434 have broken the transcoder? It seems that is where 'MATROSKA,WEBM' was introduced.
It surely is possible. I have a few questions.

1. Are you, or did you use my format detector?
2. Can you post the log file for me to review. I would like to see what it is doing to see that format.

Thanks,
Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm dealing with the same issue. 9.2.2.903 64bit on Windows 10

I'm brand new to SageTV conversions due to a desire to have SageTV move the recording to a different folder once completed I tried this out.

The system will convert using the avi profiles, but not .mkv

There is little that I can find in way of debugging conversions. So I'm watching this thread closely.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

No. I did not ever use the format detector plugin.

I snipped the relevant piece of the log and attached it.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xcodeErr.txt (4.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 09-01-2020, 08:39 AM
Sage Expert

Thanks guys for your feedback. I did some code tracing, and I figured out what happened.

Newer versions of FFmpeg reference "MATROSKA" as "MATROSKA,WEBM". So when adding the new formats to Sage to support the Format Parser plugin, I added the substitution to Sage to support the newer FFmpeg.

Unfortunately, what I did not realize, is that the transcoder code does not use the default name for the format, it uses the substitution for the format if one exists. So when you select "MATROSKA" it is replacing with "MATROSKA,WEBM" because a substitution exists.

Give me a little while, and I will post a fixed Sage.jar for you guys. I will add a pull request to reverse that change. I will need to move that substitution into my format parser plugin.

Thanks,
Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:08 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
Thanks guys for your feedback. I did some code tracing, and I figured out what happened.

Newer versions of FFmpeg reference "MATROSKA" as "MATROSKA,WEBM". So when adding the new formats to Sage to support the Format Parser plugin, I added the substitution to Sage to support the newer FFmpeg.

Unfortunately, what I did not realize, is that the transcoder code does not use the default name for the format, it uses the substitution for the format if one exists. So when you select "MATROSKA" it is replacing with "MATROSKA,WEBM" because a substitution exists.

Give me a little while, and I will post a fixed Sage.jar for you guys. I will add a pull request to reverse that change. I will need to move that substitution into my format parser plugin.

Thanks,
Josh
I made a fix to the Sage.jar to fix this issue. Here is a link to the updated Sage.jar. I will be submitting a pull request. Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Link to fix: https://www.patreon.com/posts/41162541

To apply to your SageTV system take to following steps.
1. Stop SageTV service
2. Backup the current Sage.jar
3. Place the new Sage.jar
4. Start SageTV service
5. Test to make sure the issue is fixed

Thanks,
Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary

Old 09-02-2020, 02:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

I can confirm it fixed the .mkv conversion issue for me. However I now have another issue starting the SageTV Service Control app.

It's a minor issue as I can start the service in windows services.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2020-09-02_16-16-40.png (22.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 10-05-2020, 05:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
I made a fix to the Sage.jar to fix this issue. Here is a link to the updated Sage.jar. I will be submitting a pull request. Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Link to fix: https://www.patreon.com/posts/41162541

To apply to your SageTV system take to following steps.
1. Stop SageTV service
2. Backup the current Sage.jar
3. Place the new Sage.jar
4. Start SageTV service
5. Test to make sure the issue is fixed

Thanks,
Josh

I just recently tried to switch all of my blurays to MKV, and ran into a problem with my HD-300's. They would not play any MKV marked as "MASTROKA, WEBM" - just the ones marked "MASTROKA". Just a moving timeline with no picture or sound. This was with your plugin and the updated Sage.jar.

I removed the reference for the plugin in the sage.properties file, and went back to the stock sage.jar but still couldn't play them.

Ultimately, after removing the import directory with the problem MKVs, deleting the .properties files for the MKVs, and then reimporting them with sage not running the plugin and not with the updated sage.jar, they all play now on my extenders.

Not sure why your updated sage.jar didn't fix the problem for me.

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...578#post627578
Server: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Intel i5, 8 GB, Samsung EVO 850 500 GB for OS, WD Black 4 TB + WD Black 1 TB for Recordings, WD Green 2 TB x 1 and WD Red 6 TB x 2 for DVD/Bluray Rips, Music, Home Movies, etc., Sage 9.1.8.770, HDPVR x 2, BellTV 6131 Receiver x 2, USB-UIRT with 56 KHz Receiver

Clients: PC Client x 2, HD-300 x 4 (1 Using Netgear MoCA Coax Bridges), Placeshifter x 1