SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-18-2017, 01:41 PM
Sage User

End of Video Playback Requires Stop Button Press

I'm using Windows 7 64, SageTV 9.1.7.788 (though I had the same issues with earlier versions of SageTV 9.x.)

On my Sage Windows clients, when the video reaches the end, the video does not stop, it continues to show a black frame, and will do so until stop is pressed.

This is mainly an issue for me cause the Sage client computer then will not go to sleep.

This occurs on 2 different Windows 7 clients, but does not happen on the my Sage server. It doesn't seem to matter what video format it is.

The only similar forum posts I could find were regarding FLV video playback hanging at the end, that required a manual stop press. These posts were from several years back.

Can anyone suggest a solution, or a possible reason for the video staying open at the end of normal playback?

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Can you post a log file from a few minutes after it goes to black screen? (The sageclient_0.txt file.)

I wonder if this missing 'EOS' that was part of the freeze at show change is related to your issue. Nobody ever figured out why but for show changes it just forces a switchover. Maybe it's affecting the end of a single watched show?

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=80

Is your server running in service mode? If so, that PC will be running the same client as the others with the only difference being no network connection required.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:07 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the reply wnjj.

The Sage server is not running as a service.

Attached is a text file log snippet starting around the time I start playing the video, I then jumped ahead a couple times till it was a couple minutes from the end, and the snippet ends after I have to press Stop at the black frame where the video hangs at end of playback.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagelog01.txt (50.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-18-2017, 05:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Unfortunately, this is the normal behavior.

Sage Server: ASUS/Intel C2D based system w/4GB RAM. Win7, Hauppauge PVR 150, Hauppauge HVR-2250 and an HDHR. Runs headless. Accessed via VNC when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Unfortunately, this is the normal behavior.
Really? That's a bit surprising and explains why I couldn't find a bug in VideoFrame to cause this. In fact I was searching for the "CLOSE_MF" job that's needed to finish it all off but to no avail. It looks like all that happens is a "STD_COMPLETE" job which pauses the playback and then it sits indefinitely with no more jobs in the queue.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
I'm using Windows 7 64, SageTV 9.1.7.788 (though I had the same issues with earlier versions of SageTV 9.x.)

On my Sage Windows clients, when the video reaches the end, the video does not stop, it continues to show a black frame, and will do so until stop is pressed.

This is mainly an issue for me cause the Sage client computer then will not go to sleep.

This occurs on 2 different Windows 7 clients, but does not happen on the my Sage server. It doesn't seem to matter what video format it is.

The only similar forum posts I could find were regarding FLV video playback hanging at the end, that required a manual stop press. These posts were from several years back.

Can anyone suggest a solution, or a possible reason for the video staying open at the end of normal playback?

Thanks.
Did you build this yourself as i have not seen anyone release 9.1.7 yet?

k
Old 09-19-2017, 08:55 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Did you build this yourself as i have not seen anyone release 9.1.7 yet?

k
Yes, I do my own builds. So it was simply based on the current repo version this week.

But the behavior I'm asking about I've noticed for a while. But if this is "normal" behavior, I obviously haven't noticed it till I started using computers that I hoped would go into sleep mode after watching a show, when I fell asleep and wasn't able to press stop at the end. Because with the video staying active, the Windows computer can't go into sleep mode. Leaving the computer running and the TV/monitor on with the screen saver running, meaning the TV never shuts down either, which it will if stop is pressed and the video is released as expected. Just seems like a waste of power and wear on the equipment.

So a question to those in the know on this topic. Is this an impossible thing to resolve, it simply can't be done without major changes to the code? Or would it be possible to make a small code change somewhere to have the video be released at the end of playback as if stop were pressed? This would allow Windows and attached TV/monitors to go into sleep mode as expected when the Sage client is not in use.

Thanks again to everyone that has offered feedback.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:49 PM
SageTVaholic

There is a plugin for this that might help. Try it and see if it does what you want.

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...ht=sleep+timer

It is for V7 but many plugins for V7 work with V9 and this might be one. Don't use it myself so cannot confirm - sorry.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
There is a plugin for this that might help. Try it and see if it does what you want.

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...ht=sleep+timer

It is for V7 but many plugins for V7 work with V9 and this might be one. Don't use it myself so cannot confirm - sorry.
Thanks. I remember seeing that plugin years ago, and was vaguely aware of it. I suppose it's one option.

But it would be ideal if Sage could play nice with the OS (in this regard) release the video at the end, so the OS can do it's thing and go into sleep mode when there is no activity. Regardless if the person has fallen asleep or simply walked away, without remembering to activate a Sleep Timer mode.

I guess I'm just hoping for generic video player style operation. When the video is done, close the file, release file handles, etc, let the OS see that the app is idle, so it can do it's thing and sleep when the time comes.

Thanks for reminding me of the Sleep Timer plugin option.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

This has been around from early on. Earliest I found on the forums in a quick search was around version 2.2 and at time was implied that it is a feature. Thus it allows the user to to navigate back through the video without having to restart it. It has also come up time to time since then as well.

Personally I would love an option I could toggle in setup allowing for current functionality or allowing SageTV to stop, and actually close out the video file once the end is reached.

I've found in my (family) home use, someone always leaves a video file held open after watching something and then user walks away. Thus forcing me to either huff around the house and hit stop, or shut the server down to get the file closed. I nor anyone in my home have ever used this feature to move back through a video after it reached the end.

Just my 2c,
RedR
Old 09-19-2017, 04:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedR View Post
This has been around from early on. Earliest I found on the forums in a quick search was around version 2.2 and at time was implied that it is a feature. Thus it allows the user to to navigate back through the video without having to restart it. It has also come up time to time since then as well.

Personally I would love an option I could toggle in setup allowing for current functionality or allowing SageTV to stop, and actually close out the video file once the end is reached.

I've found in my (family) home use, someone always leaves a video file held open after watching something and then user walks away. Thus forcing me to either huff around the house and hit stop, or shut the server down to get the file closed. I nor anyone in my home have ever used this feature to move back through a video after it reached the end.

Just my 2c,
RedR

I see the point of navigating back. The HD200/300 extenders return to the menu after the show finishes. Sometimes we are trying to "sneek up" on the end of a show to see the next week preview or something funny at the end and step off the end, only to have to restart and seek all the way from the front. This is even worse with any lag where an extra 2.5 minute skip sends you off the end.

I think an option would be best to fit whatever use case makes sense. It sure seems like it would only be a few lines of code change to do this for the Windows client.