SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-18-2016, 09:16 PM
Sage User

Upgrade to Win 7 & Sage Vs 9 problems

This all started with losing my EPG. After I was unsuccessful in trying to get EPG back on Win XP Sage 7, I decided to finally upgrade to Win 7 32bit and Sage 9.

My Computer runs nothing but SAGE and a bunch of harddrives. Sage 7 worked flawlessly on Win XP with 3 HD300 boxes and olussis card and a dual tuner.

After the upgrade I have 2 issues. 1 the EPG still didn't come back. Narflex is helping me on that. In the meantime I subscriped to Schedules Direct and that is working.

The most annoying issue I have is that the HD300's keep locking up. They never did this before. When I try to watch a show the show plays in slow motion. Sometimes I get lucky and I can get a show to stream. This even happpens for shows I saved that I watched prior to the upgrade. I have also noticed that the more times I hit the remote control button the faster the HD300 locks up. It is like I have X amount of remote entries/second. If I go over then it shuts down. Makes it hard to scroll through guide. It was really frustrating when setting up the channel lineup. Nothing has changed in my network. I have tried increasing my java heap to 1024 and also turned off the Flow Control on my NIC Card. Made no difference so I put it back on.

Any help would be gladly accepted.

Dave
Old 10-18-2016, 10:20 PM
Sage User

Please standby...

My wife just came in and it started working. Noticed the same yesterday. Common point is she finished her work in the other room and took her laptop offline. I suspect that her laptop which has been running slow since I changed the home server to Windows 7 is trying to connect to the network drives I use to have set up before the upgrade and is thus hammering the new win 7 server running Sage. As I set up the machine with the same name etc that it had under win xp it makes sense that my wife's laptop is looking for the network drives that I haven't yet shared.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:37 AM
Sage User

My theory about the laptop didn't pan out. Sage is acting up again this morning without the laptop turned on. Videos are slow and the remote control response is bad. Even the preview pane is slow to update. Other devices on the network stream and run OK.
I might try a new router tonight. I upgraded the firmware in my ASUS router but it didn't change anything.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beddows View Post
My theory about the laptop didn't pan out. Sage is acting up again this morning without the laptop turned on. Videos are slow and the remote control response is bad. Even the preview pane is slow to update. Other devices on the network stream and run OK.
I might try a new router tonight. I upgraded the firmware in my ASUS router but it didn't change anything.
Did you test the hardware before you upgraded the OS? This to me sounds like the machine you have running SageTV might have a hardware problem. Hard drive, power supply, RAM. Test in that order.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:11 PM
Sage User

The machine seems fine. Prior to the upgrade it was running flawlessly with even a few more programs on the go. IE slyfox & DVDShrink & burner software etc.

The only reason I upgraded was my guide stopped working and I thought Sage 9 would ssolve it and I decided to since I was doing Sage 9 I would finally drop XP.

The power supply & memory all pass and the hard drives seem OK. They are farily new.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:35 PM
SageTVaholic

How big is the Java heap?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:13 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beddows View Post
I decided to finally upgrade to Win 7 32bit
Nothing has changed in my network.
Dave
Maybe you're dealing with dropped network packets? Since upgrading from XP to Win7, your NIC drivers have definitely changed. Might be worth verifying that you're running the manufacturer's latest NIC drivers, not merely the ones provided by Microsoft. This has resolved many weird network issues.
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFred View Post
Maybe you're dealing with dropped network packets? Since upgrading from XP to Win7, your NIC drivers have definitely changed. Might be worth verifying that you're running the manufacturer's latest NIC drivers, not merely the ones provided by Microsoft. This has resolved many weird network issues.
Very true. This happens quite often.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:46 PM
Sage User

I have the java heap as high as recommended (1024).
Old 10-21-2016, 08:53 PM
Sage User

I am beginning to suspect the network card. Last night the win7 machine was unable to ping my gateway at times.

Tonight I have changed my network layout. I bought a profession grade rack mount 16 port giga switch and instead of using my dsl router as a switch I have everything plugged into the new switch and the dsl router is just managing my intenet firewall & DHCP functions.

I am also going to look at the NIC drivers tonight. I am really suspecting that now.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:10 PM
Sage User

Fixed it by rolling back the nic card drivers. After the installation one of the win7 upgrades was a new driver for the nic card. I rolled that upgrade back and it solved the issue.

Thanks everyone