SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v9 Customizations

Notices

SageTV v9 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 9 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 9 and newer.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2016, 04:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Echo Skill

Latest installation instructions:
- Send me a PM with the email address used to register your Echo.
- Install the "Sage for Echo" UI Mod plugin.
- Follow the instruction here: https://github.com/tmiranda1962/Echo/wiki

I started messing around with writing a skill for the Amazon Echo to communicate with SageTV. I have the basic plumbing working and will start to flesh out the functionality.

For those unfamiliar with the Echo, it's Amazon's home automation product. You speak to it in plain English and it does what you tell it to do (theoretically anyway). You add functionality to the Echo by writing "Skills". I am writing a Skill that will allow you to speak to your Sage server and ask things like "When will the next episode of The Kardashians be recorded" and "Did the last formula1 race get recorded?". The Echo will then speak the answer to you.

The device is actually very good and has a lot of Skills available. (One of my favorite is "The stupid cat joke of the day", but that is another subject. )

I'm looking for some help in the following areas, please let me know if you are interested:

- I need to create a few icons, and I know nothing about icon editors. A while back there were some prototypes done by one of the forum members and I'm hoping to use that as a basis. (I'm assuming the "official" Sage logo and icon are copyrighted.)

- I need to write a web based (simple) database to hold user information such as the URL to their Sage machine and the Jetty userID and password. Amazon provides a free service that can be used and integrates with the Echo very well. The first time the user install the Skill and uses it they will need to create an account and enter this required information.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.

Last edited by tmiranda; 01-14-2017 at 01:09 PM.