SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Sage User

Exclamation Jerky Audio

I've searched this forum and can't find anyone who has encountered this problem before, so I must have done something wrong but I'm not sure what.

Last year I built an HTPC with a Hauppauge HCR-2250 capture card. I installed Vista as the OS and SageTV (I'm not sure what the version was and I'm pretty sure that its not important).

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I backed everything up, wiped the OS partition, installed Windows 7 and then installed the latest everything that I could find, including Hauppauge drivers and SageTV. According to the System Info on SageTV, the version is 6.6.2.218. (I'm now a little concerned because the system info has a lot of 2009 dates in them.) I did one thing different in the installation this time, in that I installed SageTV into C:\SageTV instead of C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV.

Anyway, I thought everything was good. When I look at programs that I recorded before the conversion, the picture look good and the audio sounds good. However, when I play something that was recorded after the conversion, the picture looks great but the audio is jerky. It sounds fine for a second or two and then there's a brief distortion and then everything is OK again for a second and then a distortion. (I don't know any better way to describe it.) I just finished watching a program where this distortion got really bad for about 10 seconds and then it is was fine for the next 10 minutes, and then the distortion started again.

If I watch Live TV, I hear the same thing. I hear it on QAM and analog. (Although, I swear that when I installed things, I watched some live TV and everything was great.)

This has got to be some sort of problem with the capture card, but I'm not sure what I did wrong. I suppose I can uninstall the Hauppauge drivers and install the ones that came with the card. Any other ideas what I should do. Should I wipe the SageTV installation and try again? I must admit that I tried to bring some of the previous configuration files over so I wouldn't have to configure everything again, but I'm willing to nuke it and start over if that will fix this.

Unfortunately I've got about two weeks of programs with bad audio that I'm going to have to sit through, so I'd like to fix this problem before I record anything else.

Last edited by LabyrinthMike; 08-19-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 08-20-2010, 04:02 AM
Sage Icon

I'm not following about the 'conversion'. Are you converting operating systems from XP to Windows 7? When SageTV had no audio distortion problems, was that with Windows XP?

I have two 2250s. One uses cable boxes, the other is configured for OTA TV. ClearQAM cable is almost non-existent here. Neither has ever had problems with audio distortion. I don't use Windows 7. I use XP Pro. If Windows 7 has Windows Media Center, did you disable it? Windows Media Center should be disabled.

Have you tried using the Hauppauge Application to test recording and playing back video? Does the audio distortion occur with the Hauppauge application? This will help isolate the problem. Have you tried re-configuring the card for OTA TV to determine if the audio distortion occurs with OTA TV? What are you using to playback the video, a HD-200, or something else? How much CPU and memory does your system have? How much CPU and memory is the system using? Does it have plenty of CPU and memory left, or is it tapped out?

Instead of only re-installing your operating system over and over, I recommend taking images of your system at different points. Such as after the operating system installation and patches have been completed. After Hauppauge drivers and software have been installed, and after SageTV has been installed. You will then be able to easily get back to those points easily. After you get it working, take an image of that point, and periodically after. You will then be able to get it back to different points quickly and easily.

Dave
SageTV: LIAN LI PC-K58, Gigabyte GA-EX580UD5, i-7 950 3.06 gig quad LGA 1366 CPU, Zalman CNPS9700 CPU cooler 1366 bracket, Memory 24 gigs GB, PNY NVIDIA GeoForce 9800 GT 1024 MB, Corsair 750w PSU, Samsung 500GB SSD boot, 3 SSD recording drives
Capture cards: 2 - HDHR Primes - Comcast Xfinity CableTV
Extenders: 1-HD-300, 2-HD-200
Software: Windows 7 Pro X64, Ghost 15, VideoReDo TVSuite 4 h.264, Playon (Netflix), OpenDCT
UnRAID File Server 4.7 Pro: Lian-Li PC-G70B, MBD-X8SIL-F-O, i3-540, 16 TB
Old 08-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Sage User

<<Are you converting operating systems from XP to Windows 7?>>

No, Vista to Windows 7.

<< When SageTV had no audio distortion problems, was that with Windows XP? >>

No, it was on Vista.

<<If Windows 7 has Windows Media Center, did you disable it? Windows Media Center should be disabled.>>

I do not know if Windows 7 has a Media Center. I know that it has enhanced support for media, so it probably has something like Media Center. I will try to disable it to see if it is the cause, but I don't want to disable it unless necessary.

<<Have you tried using the Hauppauge Application to test recording and playing back video?>>

No, but that is a good idea.

<<Have you tried re-configuring the card for OTA TV to determine if the audio distortion occurs with OTA TV?>>

No. I don't have an OTA antenna and would rather not go that route, so this suggestion will be the last thing that I will try.

<<What are you using to playback the video, a HD-200, or something else?>>

The SageTV viewer. It works fine with previously recorded material, so I'm pretty sure that this is a recording issue, not a playback.

<<How much CPU and memory does your system have?>>

It is a 64-bit dual core AMD and it has 4 GB of memory. It had plenty of horse power on Vista. In fact most of the time while it was recording, the CPU was at like 1%. The card does the heavy lifting.

<<How much CPU and memory is the system using?>>

I doubt that this is the issue, but I will check into it tonight.

<<Instead of only re-installing your operating system over and over, I recommend taking images of your system at different points.>>

Hmmm. I don't plan to reinstall Windows 7 again. I do plan to reinstall SageTV, unless someone gives me a definitive answer to this problem first.

I have this vague memory now that I saw this problem when I installed on Vista and it has a simple but not intuitive answer like, I should uninstall the 64-bit Java Runtime.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Sage Icon

It's probably a good move, moving away from Vista. I tried installing Vista Ulimate, then replaced it with XP Pro on the same I-7 3.06 gig quad core with 4 gigs of fast RAM. The Vista GUI in the base operating system was painfully slow compared to XP Pro. I estimate the GUI was about 3 - 4 time slower in Vista than XP Pro on the hardware that I used to test it. I've heard Windows 7 has the same speed, more speed, and a bit less speed than XP, depending on who is reviewing it. Vista was very dog slow for me, so I dropped the idea of switching from XP to Vista.

Once you get your system running, you should take periodic images of the C drive. If you have problems later, you can quickly get your system back to a 'working state', with very little downtime.

Dave
SageTV: LIAN LI PC-K58, Gigabyte GA-EX580UD5, i-7 950 3.06 gig quad LGA 1366 CPU, Zalman CNPS9700 CPU cooler 1366 bracket, Memory 24 gigs GB, PNY NVIDIA GeoForce 9800 GT 1024 MB, Corsair 750w PSU, Samsung 500GB SSD boot, 3 SSD recording drives
Capture cards: 2 - HDHR Primes - Comcast Xfinity CableTV
Extenders: 1-HD-300, 2-HD-200
Software: Windows 7 Pro X64, Ghost 15, VideoReDo TVSuite 4 h.264, Playon (Netflix), OpenDCT
UnRAID File Server 4.7 Pro: Lian-Li PC-G70B, MBD-X8SIL-F-O, i3-540, 16 TB
Old 08-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Sage User

<<I do not know if Windows 7 has a Media Center.>>

Yes, Windiws 7 Home has Media Center. It works fine with the capture card. Not am impressive bit of software though. I mean it looks cool, but only understands the analog channels.

<<Have you tried using the Hauppauge Application to test recording and playing back video?>>

I installed WinTV7. It works properly

<<How much CPU and memory is the system using?>>

About 20% on both CPU's. A lot more than I remembered.

<<Instead of only re-installing your operating system over and over, I recommend taking images of your system at different points.>>

I installed Sage from scratch then applied the latest patch. Analog still has jerky audio (actually there's a lot of echo in there) and digital doesn't work at all.

Frak!

Tags
hauppauge 2250, jerky audio, windows 7