SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:56 AM
Sage Fanatic

LOCAST

I have been trying to get a good OTA signal for the past year and running into some problems. The only alternative seems to be putting an antenna on the roof. I then found LOCAST which has been working great. (And at $5 a month it is a real bargain)

Recently Channels DVR added LOCAST as a supported tuner. I tried it and it works great recording broadcast channels. ($8 per month)

It got me thinking, if Channels DVR was able to write a software tuner for LOCAST, why couldn't someone create an OpenDCT type of network tuner that SageTV could use to record from LOCAST?

What does everyone think?
Client: Mini-Client, ShieldTV
Client: (2) Mini-Client, Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 10-02-2020, 09:44 AM
Sage Icon

That would be amazing!
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 10-02-2020, 11:47 AM
SageTVaholic

At first glance this sounds like Aereo that was shut down that had these tiny antennas to record or rebroadcast OTA TV.

This article says that they were sued 14 months ago. Doesn't seem as if the case has been heard yet.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/th...cognize%20this.

Here is another story: https://www.nexttv.com/news/locast-e...alling-aereo-2
Old 10-02-2020, 12:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
At first glance this sounds like Aereo that was shut down that had these tiny antennas to record or rebroadcast OTA TV.

This article says that they were sued 14 months ago. Doesn't seem as if the case has been heard yet.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/th...cognize%20this.

Here is another story: https://www.nexttv.com/news/locast-e...alling-aereo-2
I can't put my fingers on it right now, but what I read is that because locast.org is set up as a non-profit, they have a good chance of succeeding where Aereo failed.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 10-02-2020, 12:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
I have been trying to get a good OTA signal for the past year and running into some problems. The only alternative seems to be putting an antenna on the roof. I then found LOCAST which has been working great. (And at $5 a month it is a real bargain)

Recently Channels DVR added LOCAST as a supported tuner. I tried it and it works great recording broadcast channels. ($8 per month)

It got me thinking, if Channels DVR was able to write a software tuner for LOCAST, why couldn't someone create an OpenDCT type of network tuner that SageTV could use to record from LOCAST?

What does everyone think?
Or if only you could add a M3U tuner in SageTV or OPENDCT. I have TVE XFINITY and Locast working on EMBY/NEXTPVR using Channels DVR as a backend supplying the M3U feed.
Old 10-02-2020, 02:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Or if only you could add a M3U tuner in SageTV or OPENDCT. I have TVE XFINITY and Locast working on EMBY/NEXTPVR using Channels DVR as a backend supplying the M3U feed.
What is an M3U tuner and what is TVE Xfinity? Does that allow you to access LiveTV via Comcast's Xfinity service?
Old 10-02-2020, 02:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
What is an M3U tuner and what is TVE Xfinity? Does that allow you to access LiveTV via Comcast's Xfinity service?

https://community.getchannels.com/t/...erywhere/18127
Old 10-02-2020, 02:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Very interesting. There seems to be a Docker container for the Channels DVR-TVE. It would be cool if you could access this via a Docker on a system also running SageTV in a Docker (or on Windows).
Old 10-02-2020, 03:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

You need a cable subscription for TV Everywhere. I like Channels DVR because it records from LOCAST without a cable subscription.

LOCAST is staying in business because they are a non-profit.
Client: Mini-Client, ShieldTV
Client: (2) Mini-Client, Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 10-23-2020, 05:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Can you explain how to do this (using Emby/NextPVR with channels DVR)? I have never used Emby or NextPVR before so I have no idea on how to do what you mention.

Thanks,
Chuck
Recording Drive's: 2 x WD WD4001FAEX (4 TB)
Tuner's: 2 x Ceton InfiniTV 4's
Clients: 3 x Nvidia Shield TV's; Spares: 2 x HD300's
SageTV v9.1.2.662 with OpenDCT v0.5.28
Java 1.8.0_111-b14 (32bit)