SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:14 PM
Sage Icon

unRAID Share Split Level Recommendation?

Any recommendations on the split level that should be used for the SageTV docker for ripped DVDs? Here is an example of a ripped DVD structure on my server (and probably many other people's servers):

Windows:
\\Tower\sagemedia\videos\Jason Bourne\VIDEO_TS

unRAID:
/mnt/user/sagemedia/videos/Jason Bourne/VIDEO_TS

So minimally, all of the files contained within the VIDEO_TS folder should be stored on the same physical drive within the array, to avoid pauses during playback. Would split level four or five be best?
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 06-21-2017, 01:45 AM
SageTVaholic

3 or 4 would probably be fine - though the better option is to just get rid of the VIDEO_TS format, and go with MKV's and not worry about splits.. ;-)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-21-2017, 09:50 AM
Sage Icon

//off-topic//

i'm trying to remember when i last ripped a DVD to my hard drive. It's all streaming now! (and ball-bearings!)
Old 06-21-2017, 10:15 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
3 or 4 would probably be fine - though the better option is to just get rid of the VIDEO_TS format, and go with MKV's and not worry about splits.. ;-)
Boy, this brings back memories of the iso vs. vob discussion in this forum quite a few years back, I ended up going the vob route. I assume that going the MKV route would result in a single file? Also, can MKV support full-disc copies of DVD, including the interactive menus? If so, what tool would I use to convert my ripped full-disc DVDs to MKVs?
Old 06-21-2017, 04:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
Boy, this brings back memories of the iso vs. vob discussion in this forum quite a few years back, I ended up going the vob route. I assume that going the MKV route would result in a single file? Also, can MKV support full-disc copies of DVD, including the interactive menus? If so, what tool would I use to convert my ripped full-disc DVDs to MKVs?
Technically, yes, MKV does support multiple videos per file, with a menu system - but I honestly haven't ever seen a player that fully supported the things the MKV format can do, nor have I seen a program that could convert he menus into the MKV file. MKV was a pretty ambitious format, and only a fraction of the spec is ever really used. Kind of a shame, really - it has some great features that would really make it very well suited to DVR recording and playback - but the mp2ts container is just too 'standard'.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:50 PM
Sage Icon

Anybody know if the unRAID / SageTV docker combination supports .iso playback?
Old 06-21-2017, 08:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Anybody know if the unRAID / SageTV docker combination supports .iso playback?
To answer my own question, it apparently does. A follow-up question, though: is there a way to prevent the .iso file extension from displaying in SageTV? For example, if I go to the Videos / DVD/BD screen in SageTV, I see "Jason Bourne.iso" instead of just "Jason Bourne". Any way to prevent the .iso from being displayed?
Old 06-22-2017, 01:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
To answer my own question, it apparently does. A follow-up question, though: is there a way to prevent the .iso file extension from displaying in SageTV? For example, if I go to the Videos / DVD/BD screen in SageTV, I see "Jason Bourne.iso" instead of just "Jason Bourne". Any way to prevent the .iso from being displayed?
I think that means it doesn't have actual metadata for that file - so it just displays the filename instead of the mediatitle. DO you have Phoenix Core Services installed? You could use CMT or BMT to lookup and have Phoenix download the information if it is missing, and it SHOULD work (can't verify, as I don't have any ISO's).

Old 06-22-2017, 05:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
At a practical level, yes, MKV results in a single file (with chapters, multiple audio/subtitle tracks, etc), but does not support full DVD functionality.