SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Component + SPDIF

I am using 7.17 with one Colossus using the Component setting right now. I would like to be able to use the optical out of my cable box for the sound. I have the component cables, and an optical cable hooked up but when I select Component + SPDIF I get no audio. Going back to Component only and the audio returns.

The Colossus is working fine. I just would like to be able to use the SPDIF because I get a low frequency hum from my receiver when I play things the Colossus recorded. No hum from my HDHR recordings so it appears to be just a Colossus thing..
Old 06-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDtyF350 View Post
I am using 7.17 with one Colossus using the Component setting right now. I would like to be able to use the optical out of my cable box for the sound. I have the component cables, and an optical cable hooked up but when I select Component + SPDIF I get no audio. Going back to Component only and the audio returns.

The Colossus is working fine. I just would like to be able to use the SPDIF because I get a low frequency hum from my receiver when I play things the Colossus recorded. No hum from my HDHR recordings so it appears to be just a Colossus thing..
I had the exact same audio hum when I first connected the Colosuss to my cable STB using analog audio. I did not get this hum with any of my other capture devices, however, someone from the Colosuss thread recommended that I get a audio something or another from radio shack. I did and it worked. Search the first 3 or 4 pages of the Colosuss thread and you will find the name of it. BTW I am now using Optical SPDIF + Component and it works quite nicely.

This is it:

SHS :
Sound like you my need a Audio Ground Loop Isolator
Go to radio shack and get Model: 270-054 | Catalog #: 270-054

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!

Last edited by bits; 06-04-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think I saw that. The ferrite deal. I would like to just use SPDIF and get away from the analog audio altogether but haven't figured out the trick. I am using the Arcsoft decoders for audio and video on my server. It works nice like that with the exception of the hum. What are you using to get audio from SPDIF?
Old 06-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDtyF350 View Post
I think I saw that. The ferrite deal. I would like to just use SPDIF and get away from the analog audio altogether but haven't figured out the trick. I am using the Arcsoft decoders for audio and video on my server. It works nice like that with the exception of the hum. What are you using to get audio from SPDIF?
I think it is just whatever audio is on my motherboard. I do not have a seperate audio card. The Optical SPDIF simply goes from my STB to the Colosuss.

If you can not get the SPDIF to work then get the audio ground loop isolator, it will get rid of the hum.

Have you actually made a recording with the Optical SPDIF? Have you tried to play that file on a Sage HD extender? I guess what I suggesting is that you need to confirm there is no audio. MediaInfo is a good freeware app for looking at the properties of video files.

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!

Last edited by bits; 06-04-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yep, whenever I set component + spdif I get no audio. If it is working for you I will do some more playing with decoders. I was kind of interested in knowing what audio decoder you were using with Sage. Nice to know it does work and if all else fails the ground loop isolator worked.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well the answer to part of my problem is that I can be an idiot.. When plugging optical cables into ports ensure you are plugging them into the right spot.

That got me audio through the optical cable. Now, to figure out how to fix the pausing that occurs with SPDIF selected. Doesn't do it with just component selected, but does it bad with component + SPDIF.

One step at a time I guess....