SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Sage User

Hauppauge HD-PVR users can you post your settings please

Hey guys I just picked up a Hauppauge HD-PVR and before I spend 10 hours setting it up can you guys please post the best drivers to use, the best version of SageTV to use, the best settings to use to get the best playback, sttuter free and with great image quality?

Please post the encoders and settings you are using if yours is working smooth. That will help me a lot.

Also can you please post the settings under color calibration if you are happy with the colors.

Here is what I'm running

Core 2 Duo @ 3Ghz
4GB of RAM
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Geforce GT 220 video card

-------------------

OK so I hooked it up and only downloaded the latest drivers from the website. Which by the way are from June 2010 I believe. I did not install any software from the CD. I already have the Arcsof codecs installed so I'm using those for SD and HD, I'm also using the highest settings possible. These are my settings so far:

Recording quality. One that I added manually Mpeg-2 TS @ 6.6 GB/hr

Video and Audio

EVR
Arcsoft Video Decoder as Mpeg2 video decoder filter
Arcsoft Video Decoder as H.264 video decoder filter, I tried CoreAVC and got ugly results, gosting and SageTV crashing
VC-1 Video Decoder Filter default
DScaler I can't enable
Audio Renderer: Nvidia High Definition through HDMI
MPEG2 Audio Decoder Filter default
HD Audio Decoder Filter default

Oh yeah I was not able to calibrate the color with the HD-PVR but the colors look just perfect

SD never looked this good before, not even when connected direct from the Satellite receiver. HD looks awesome as well. Better than when connected directly I think

The problems I'm having, SageTV seems a bit laggy, it takes longer to change channels, there is lots of sttuter for the first 10 seconds or so when changing channels. After that it seems fine so far. I'm hooked up with component+optical for audio

I'm going to leave it overnight on a HD channel with SageTV open and I'll see something has gone wrong tomorrow morning.

-----------------

Update.

Ok guys I need your input. I'm sure someone has a HD-PVR that is working good. This morning my screen just had a frozen image but I think it was because of the satellite receiver. I changed channel and it said no video. I closed SageTV and used Total Media Extreme and I got video, I then launched SageTV and got video but now it's crashing when changing channels.

So when it works, when you change channels it sttuters like crazy for a few seconds and then the image is fine. But a lot of times when changing channels in SageTV, the application crashes. Does anyone else use SageTV with the Hauppauge HD-PVR and has little or no problems with it? I really would like to know what codecs you are using and what settings please.

------------------

Update 2.

Well I was expecting some help actually from you HD-PVR users but I guess you are either too busy watching TV or trying to fix all the issues you have with it as well. I managed to gather a lot of info but there is no clear fix for these HD-PVR issues. I'm posting this as it may help others.

I thought this thing was going to be Plug and Play. I was running the latest beta of SageTV. Everything was working good on my old capture card. Using the same settings and encoders the HD-PVR did not work. The first problem was the horrible stutter for about 10 seconds when switching channels. The other problem was SageTV crashing.

After messing around so much this is what I did and I think it's running good now. Crossing fingers!!

I went to add/remove programs and removed everything including SageTV. Left the PC just with what it comes after installing windows and with Java installed. Then I reinstalled the latest HD-PVR driver, Then installed my video card drivers, using the latest beta drivers from Nvidia, then I installed the Arcsoft Total Media from the CD. Then installed LM Remote KeyMap which is what I use to change channels using a MCE IR Blaster and last but not least I installed SageTV. It kept all my settings.

I'm using EVR, the Arcsoft Video Decoder for MPEG-2 and H264, using Nvidia High Definition Audio through HDMI for Audio Renderer. Then pretty much everything else default. Oh yeah the recording quality is: Mpeg-2 TS @ 6.6 GB/hr

I tested SD and HD and there is no stutter now, image quality is amazing. I did tweak a little the Nvidia color/sharpness/Hue settings though. I'm also using V-Sync and Tripple Buffering. I really hope it stays like this. Also note that I believe that the cause of the crashing was LM Remote KeyMap or the IR Blaster itself. It only happened when switching channels. After reinstalling everyhting, it's working fine.

Last edited by saulin; 05-20-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:10 AM
Sage Expert

Running Windows XP pro
Latest Hauppauge drivers.

2 things stabilized my HD-PVR:

1) Put a piece of black tape over the IR receiver and use my USB-UIRT (not an easy transition because Sage doesn't handle learning well -- I had to learn using USB-URTs function and then add the codes manually to sage -- there's a posting on how to do it). EDIT: I also had to switch to the beta USB-UIRT driver -- also in the how-to posting.

2) Switch to the highest quality output. I choose to go VBR to save a little disk space. (Been a while, but I think that I added to SageClient.properties: mmc/python2_encoding/HDPVRMax-VBR=videobitrate\=13500000|vbr\=1|outputstreamtype\=1 and then set it as the default for the HD-PVRs).

I'm using the acrsoft decoders (but I think that they have problems with my video driver because I get video locks and when I manage to unlock it, I have video corruption on menu screens until I exit and reenter sage) and the AC3 filter that comes with Sage.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @4025 MHz, 8G G.Skill Performance
DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS Plus; SilverStone Decathlon DA1000 (died - back to an ancient enermax)
eVGA 7900 GT KO RoHS -- Zalman VP900CU Cooling
Synology NAS 22TB

Last edited by davidk21770; 05-28-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:33 AM
Sage Icon

I also found putting black electrical tape over the HD-PVR IR and using a USB-UIRT helped stability. You can also get a separate USB card for the HD-PVR. Removing the cover and installing a fan might help too. I did not install a fan yet. There is also a way to automatically reset the HD-PVR on the forum. I did not do that yet, but I did purchase the power controller to do that mod.

Dave
SageTV: LIAN LI PC-K58, Gigabyte GA-EX580UD5, i-7 950 3.06 gig quad LGA 1366 CPU, Zalman CNPS9700 CPU cooler 1366 bracket, Memory 24 gigs GB, PNY NVIDIA GeoForce 9800 GT 1024 MB, Corsair 750w PSU, Samsung 500GB SSD boot, 3 SSD recording drives
Capture cards: 2 - HDHR Primes - Comcast Xfinity CableTV
Extenders: 1-HD-300, 2-HD-200
Software: Windows 7 Pro X64, Ghost 15, VideoReDo TVSuite 4 h.264, Playon (Netflix), OpenDCT
UnRAID File Server 4.7 Pro: Lian-Li PC-G70B, MBD-X8SIL-F-O, i3-540, 16 TB
Old 05-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

I currently have cable; so it may not be the same. But, I'll give you my list of things to do/check:
  1. Take off the top and replace with plastic netting to allow heat to escape.
  2. Cover the IR receiver with electrical tape (already mentioned).
  3. Set a single output resolution (i.e., 720p). This probably only applies to cable.
  4. Make sure you use a separate USB header/hub.
  5. Use Win7 codecs. They are as good as Arcsoft and don't introduce hard-to-define problems.
  6. Try with just RCA audio to see if the problem is audio-related.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Sage User

Yep using the default Windows 7 codecs works great too. I think the smoothness of the playback depends more on the Audio Renderer being used. Which one do you guys think is the best one to use?

I'm having good results with the Default Wave Out. Also I get much better results not using the optical connection for Audio
Old 06-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Sage Icon

Given I told Sage to use a USB-UIRT for tuning, wouldn't the IRblaster part of the HD-PVR be unused as Sage sends it commands? No need to black-out its IR?

For the benefit of the fellow above asking about the HD-PVR...

My new rev F1 HD-PVR is working OK, paired with TimeWarner's Samsung set top box for premium channels. I think my settings have the output format of the HD-PVR match the input/source, as this varies among the channels here between 480i up to 1080p.

At first I ran the HD-PVR under Win 7. Then XP- because that's what Sage 6 I've had for years is using and I thought I could procrastinate going to Win 7. I have done so- stayed on XP for now on the server. PC clients need to be Win 7, if you use that. Not using Sage beta of course - I'm a novice with HD.

I wasted days confusing myself on using the Sage client (and the server software too), to playback HD (H264 format) recordings. I didn't notice that Sage 6 and Sage 7 does not come with client support for playback of H264 files. Soon, I did a playback of an H264 file I recorded, using MS Media Player and realized it was the Sage Client at fault, not the HD-PVR. This led to the revelation that unlike Sage for standard def TV, there is no decoder (codec) included with Sage for H264/HD. Everyone except me knew that. On Win 7, there are codecs from MS but you have to know how to tell Sage to find/use this. A neophite doesn't know this. There really needs to be a crib sheet on this included with Sage's download - Prominent. A sticky on the users' forum doesn't help much- this is a product issue.

A year or more ago, Sage relied upon the H264 codecs that are on Hauppauge's CD, as a part of Total Media Extreme (TME) from Arcsoft. But more lately, those codec versions are limited to private use by Arcsoft's application. Hence, the reliance now is on the codecs inbuilt with Windows 7, I'm told. There is a lot of hacking that people describe, to get around this change by Arcsoft, but I skipped it.

I'm using the drivers of the HD-PVR that were on the CD in the box.

I'm using the USB-UIRT because many said the IRblaster (sender) in the HD-PVR is unreliable. So I spent another $60 to avoid this PITA.

Last edited by stevech; 06-02-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:17 AM
Sage Expert

You are blacking-out the IR receiver, not the blaster. (The blaster is a plug-in).

I'm sorry to hear about the arcsoft codecs. I didn't know that. I get REALLY annoyed with companies that do things like that and do my best to no longer have any dealings with them...

DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS Plus; SilverStone Decathlon DA1000 (died - back to an ancient enermax)
Synology NAS 22TB
Old 06-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
Given I told Sage to use a USB-UIRT for tuning, wouldn't the IRblaster part of the HD-PVR be unused as Sage sends it commands? No need to black-out its IR?

If your not having any problems with your HD-PVR capturing video content, you don't need to do anything other than enjoy your recordings.

There is a post by SIC0048 that has instructions for setting up the HD-PVR. These may be of help when installing or re-installing the HD-PVR. It would be quite helpful to read these before installing SageTV if your going to be using an HD-PVR.

Until a recent hardware/software change I was using the IRBlaster and for the most part it worked just fine. That's not to say it always worked perfect but the above mentioned instructions helped (It also helps if I can learn to leave well enough alone - if it ain't broke leave it alone I can only blame myself)
I am currently using FWChannelProxy for tuning channels using firewire for the HD-PVR. I have been using firewire recording for as long as I have been recording HD content but after the changes I thought I would include firewire channel changing for the HD-PVR as well.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Sage Expert

My IR blaster worked poorly, so I tried the USB-UIRT because I had one laying around from a birthday present. I was surprised when my HD-PVR started locking-up less often. And the piece of black tape over the IR Receiver stopped it almost completely. Then, I wanted higher quality, so I set it to the max and my lock-ups stopped completely.

BUT, as UgaData said, if you're happy with the performance and you're not having problems -- go with it!

Synology NAS 22TB
Old 06-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
There is a post by SIC0048 that has instructions for setting up the HD-PVR. These may be of help when installing or re-installing the HD-PVR. It would be quite helpful to read these before installing SageTV if your going to be using an HD-PVR.
It's more than frustrating that Sage supports the HD-PVR but does not include instructions on integrating it, tuning it, via their software.
This forum sorely needs a way for vetted user help info to be readily discoverable.