SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-03-2021, 05:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Disk Priority

Hi, I mainly use the Bandwidth priority setting for spreading the recordings over different drives but I have moved to a new much faster machine running many other programs that will really stress the thing. This machine has only three drives and would like to only write to the C: (root drive) when there are at least three recordings occurring at the same time which is only once or twice a week and probably less than that. So I would like to set them in a priority of, always use this one, then this other one next, and if there are three recordings happening then also use the C:. Hopefully I won't need to specify Tuner to Drive then set priority to each tuner to make this happen, but I guess its an option if the property file still allows that to happen.

C: Root Sage #4 (sage only uses this if there are 3 or 4 tuners going at the same time)

D: SageTV #1 (sage always records to this drive first)

E: BlueIris recording drive, Use for SageTV #2 (sage records the second tuner here)

F: USB QNAP TR-004 Blueiris Archive Folder, SageTV #3 (sage records third tuner here if being used)

Plex is used to to watch TV Shows from many different types of clients. (its NOT used for recording shows as it does not do that well.
Dell T-40, xenon, 24GB RAM, Win10 Pro, 2 x 6TB WD Blue, QNAP TR004. 1 Quad HDHR, 2 Dual HDHR, (OTA Winegard HD8200U, CM4221HD), 2 @ STP-HD200's, 1 @ HD300, 1 @ Nvidia Shield 2017, 70", 55" & 40" Sony's - Playon/PlayLater, Blue Iris.

RV DVR: SageTV v9.2.2, NUC8i5BEK 16GB, SS980Pro NVMe, Nvidia Shield 2017, Mibox, 1 Dual HDHR 5TB Passport, Winegard BatWing, 40", 32", 28" Sony's, BlueIrisv5, Max Transit
Old 03-03-2021, 09:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

As far as I know, you can just setup recording paths and Sage does the balancing between them. I don't know of any logic that you can setup that will prioritize which recording path to use based on the number of active tuners.

I personally use Unraid.

Sage is set to record and utilize my SSD cache drives in Unraid.

Automatically each night, Unraid moves my recordings to the slower spinner drives that comprise my data array for playback.

I typically only have two tuners going at a time and I haven't had any issues pertaining to drive bandwidth, however I'm working on scaling up to having the capacity for 5 simultaneous tuners. It will be interesting to see how the SSD's keep up, but i'm thinking it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:16 AM
SageTVaholic

I use unRAID as well and I don't bother recording to Cache. I don't record a ton concurrently but I have recorded two OTA streams and an HD-PVR stream at the same time. I believe that OTA is the highest bandwidth recording at about 19mbps, and that doesn't matter which resolution as I believe that the tuners pull down the entire channel stream, including all sub-channels.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Hi, I mainly use the Bandwidth priority setting for spreading the recordings over different drives but I have moved to a new much faster machine running many other programs that will really stress the thing. This machine has only three drives and would like to only write to the C: (root drive) when there are at least three recordings occurring at the same time which is only once or twice a week and probably less than that. So I would like to set them in a priority of, always use this one, then this other one next, and if there are three recordings happening then also use the C:. Hopefully I won't need to specify Tuner to Drive then set priority to each tuner to make this happen, but I guess its an option if the property file still allows that to happen.

C: Root Sage #4 (sage only uses this if there are 3 or 4 tuners going at the same time)

D: SageTV #1 (sage always records to this drive first)

E: BlueIris recording drive, Use for SageTV #2 (sage records the second tuner here)

F: USB QNAP TR-004 Blueiris Archive Folder, SageTV #3 (sage records third tuner here if being used)

Plex is used to to watch TV Shows from many different types of clients. (its NOT used for recording shows as it does not do that well.
Thatís the way I have it set: each tuner feeds a specific drive. Seems to work.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300ís networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 03-05-2021, 08:35 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Thatís the way I have it set: each tuner feeds a specific drive. Seems to work.
Thanks! I thought by now there might be a simpler way. I will set it up that way. -Bill
Dell T-40, xenon, 24GB RAM, Win10 Pro, 2 x 6TB WD Blue, QNAP TR004. 1 Quad HDHR, 2 Dual HDHR, (OTA Winegard HD8200U, CM4221HD), 2 @ STP-HD200's, 1 @ HD300, 1 @ Nvidia Shield 2017, 70", 55" & 40" Sony's - Playon/PlayLater, Blue Iris.

RV DVR: SageTV v9.2.2, NUC8i5BEK 16GB, SS980Pro NVMe, Nvidia Shield 2017, Mibox, 1 Dual HDHR 5TB Passport, Winegard BatWing, 40", 32", 28" Sony's, BlueIrisv5, Max Transit
Old 03-05-2021, 11:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Thanks! I thought by now there might be a simpler way. I will set it up that way. -Bill
Iím not in front of my server, but it just requires altering one line in properties for each tuner if I remember.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300ís networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 03-05-2021, 04:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

What is the advantage of spreading recordings out? I have one "incoming" drive and always transcode (to save space) to other drives after recording. (I do this manually, rather than automatically, since it gives me more control over the process). Does spreading them out when recording prevent recording glitches?
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCRUser View Post
What is the advantage of spreading recordings out? I have one "incoming" drive and always transcode (to save space) to other drives after recording. (I do this manually, rather than automatically, since it gives me more control over the process). Does spreading them out when recording prevent recording glitches?
By Ďspreading them outí, do you mean on different drives? With my history of drives that just go bad and die with little warning, I do this just in case a drive dies - this way, I only lose 1/3 of my material. I also have an offload drive for things Iím going to transcode and keep, like you, but Iím not that organized
Old 03-05-2021, 07:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
By Ďspreading them outí, do you mean on different drives? With my history of drives that just go bad and die with little warning, I do this just in case a drive dies - this way, I only lose 1/3 of my material. I also have an offload drive for things Iím going to transcode and keep, like you, but Iím not that organized
Ah - I do nightly or near-nightly backups to defend against bad drives. I use Karen's Replicator, but Robocopy is another option. The backup drives are all external USB, connected only during backups, so less likely to be taken out if an electrical surge hits the system (which is also on a UPS). I wish there were a way to make offsite backups work, but multiple TBs of storage plus the bandwidth needed to backup several gb nightly makes that impractical, so on-site external USB works tolerably.
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCRUser View Post
The reason I am doing it as my C: is some cheap spinning drive that came with my new DELL T-40 and the machine slows to a crawl whenever something is writing to it. So, until a 1 TB Samsung Pro SSD gets down to $99 so I can clone it I only want to write recordings to the C: drive if at least 3 recordings are happening at once, usually just a couple times a week. I also have Blueiris recording 16 5MP cameras on the same machine, I haven't had much time to scrutinize the IO yet to determine. I did just purchase this QNAP https://amzn.to/3v0HviQ mainly to archive the camera video allowing more days of availability. Its a USB 3.2 device, and so far its pretty impressive for a very reasonable price. Even the software makes me think QNAP is first rate! I have also not had time to study the IO on that device either, but I will just let BI move the older files to it so its not as critical and if its slow, its not like I am watching it..
-Bill

PS. I only transcode shows now so I can sync them to my SageTV DVR in my motorhome over Cellular Data. A few batch files in the task scheduler and I can forward any show(s) auto-magically while traveling to the next great destination.

Old 03-06-2021, 11:28 AM
SageTVaholic

FYI - SJQ (Sage Job Queue) was awesome for this in the day. I used to transcode the kids shows that I recorded to reduce size and archive into folder based off of filenames.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

I just wrote a few batch jobs to get the shows we need. They were rather simple loops that transcode them with ffmpeg then moves the mp4 files to my idrive sync folder and moves the mpeg to an archive to be deleted the next time I connect to the server if we've watched them. After than its all magic. And the RV's Sagetv just uses that folder to play and when I delete them in sagetv the sync removes them from the sync folder at home. -Bill

Last edited by bigbill; 03-06-2021 at 03:23 PM.