SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2018, 01:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
I'm 50 miles and I still manage get 30+ channel with my ATSC Antenna
I always find these comments funny (no offense). Yeah, I get tens of channels over OTA, but that's like saying I get 100+ channels over cable, most are crap. All you get OTA is the 5-7 "major" networks, plus a few PBS channels. Everything else is just filler crap, just like with cable. For me there's not more than maybe 5 channels OTA that have anything on I'm remotely interested in.

Quote:
You all do know Steaming Live TV is not considered Cord Cutting as it is a subscription with live TV service including Sling TV, Philo, YouTube TV, PlayStation Vue, DirecTV NOW, Huluís Live TV beta, and Fubo TV.
By the way this maybe use to any what the diff https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/phil...february-2018/

A real Cord Cutting will only use an Antenna and nothing more and there are min option hardware and software solution.
Semantics, and I get it, but I don't care about semantics, I think still, when most people talk about cutting the cord they mean getting rid of a traditional, physical-line based cable TV service.

My point was, my cable TV bill is ridiculous, the non-discount price is $103/mo, and that's just the expanded basic, no cablecard/cable box ("digital") channels. As far as providers go, mine is great, and I really like the service, almost 100 of those are HD, and all are clear QAM. But even so, $103/mo for maybe 5 channels, for a handful of shows just doesn't meet the cost/value bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
To me YouTube TV is by far the best but it may lack some channels you want. I really like the unlimited DVR space since you don't have to manage you library. If you think you might watch it just record it.
I was all set to go for it, until I realized that they only had one of the channels I care about (NBCSN), and while its content is perhaps the hardest to replace, it's not the most important.

Quote:
DirecTV has the best channel selection and I have the original $35 price so I have kept it as a fill in and to see if the DVR option matures into something worthwhile. (Plus Free HBO for now) DirecTV Now DVR in the Beta really sucks and I have low expectations for it. What DirecTV Now does have is good VOD selections and a lot of login access to Network apps directly which has even more VOD access. For a lot of people DirecTV Now would be fine once they have the limited DVR working.
Thanks for the info, that's what I was wondering. I don't really care about "recording" something, so long as the shows I watch regularly, I don't have to sit in front of the TV and watch it when it airs. I mean this isn't the 80's after all.

Quote:
I am still recording OTA locals with EMBY and use PlayOn to record some shows to the server as well. But...I find I am using YouTube TV for everything at this point. I could drop DirecTV Now and would not miss it. But keep in mind I also have Hulu, Amazon and Netflix so shows I miss with YouTube TV will probably eventually show up on the other providers at some point.
I need to go through and look at the sources for stuff I watch, but DTV Now I think had every network I care about, other than OTA, but I've got an antenna, so that's not an issue.

Quote:
I like this site for Cord Cutting news. Here is a comparison grid of all the services with supported apps and channels:
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/phil...-january-2018/
Cool, I was looking for something like that. Wish it was interactive, like let you check off the channels you care about and it would show you which providers had it. But I guess excel can do that.

Based on that:
YoutubeTV is out, it's missing 5/8 networks
SlingTV is missing 3/8
Hulu's missing the same 3 as Sling
DTV Now and PSVue both have all of them

I tried PSVue a while ago, I agree, I didn't really like the interface. Seems like DTVN is the way to go for me, I'll have to see if they've still got the $100/mo promo.

Thanks for the info about the VOD features, I was a little worried about that.

Out of curiosity, what's so bad about the DVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Anyway, I am unsure what "DVR" means exactly.
Technically what I mean is the ability to record ("save") shows to watch at a time other than when they air. But really it's just the last part that I care about. I never watch anything when it's on, so it's very important for me to be able to still watch stuff when I want to. So a "DVR" or good VOD system/selection are equally acceptable to me.