SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:28 PM
Sage User

Late to the HD-PVR party plus server rebuild

I have rebuilt my server and added a C2 HD-PVR I picked up from a friend and need advice getting it working better. Here is the system info:

New install of SageTV v9 on Win 7 Pro 64 bit using the installer.
PC Specs: Lenovo i5-2400, 8GB ram, Two 2TB 64k cluster drives, HVR-1600, HVR-1800, HD-PVR rev C2 powered via 5V PC power supply with ferrite chokes on usb and power cables, component plus SPDIF, additional heat sinks added to IC chips and holes drilled for fan intake and on the bottom of the case for improved cooling.

Driver 1: 1.7.1.30059
Symptoms: Would work on a fresh reboot. Let it sit for a few hours, would not respond. Power cycle would restore recording, but blaster would not function. Only a reboot would restore both, which would only work for a few hours.

Driver 2: 1.5.7.0 (just installed over previous)
Symptoms: Consistently works for starting a recording and blasting, which is a big improvement. However recordings stop about every 5-10 minutes for a few seconds and it starts again. This occurs many times during an hour recording. SageTV does not show any red gaps, but just skips over them, missing portions of the recording. Nothing is recorded in the logs like a halt or anything.

Driver 3 ???: 1.05.301 (not tested)
Another user, martin reported in Nov-2009 that he was not getting these gaps with this driver. He tested it with four tuners recording and three clients playing simultaneously.

Should I try this driver or is there another driver that folks are using for stable HD-PVR recordings? What should I try next? I have everything else working great with SageTV V9, clients, HD300, placeshifter, etc. I would love to get the HD-PVR working too. Thanks,

Austin
Old 03-08-2016, 09:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

I would recommend at least perusing the following thread:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44511

The above should help with installing the HD-PVR.

You are not going to like this next suggestion - You should run HWCLEAR to clear out the old driver before installing another driver. The problem is it will remove ALL the Hauppauge drivers not just the HD-PVR drivers. Which then suggests installing the HD-PVR first before the Hauppauge devices.

From my past experience with the HD-PVR, only load the main driver, don't load any of the blaster programs or other drivers for IR (be it the remote or blaster for channel changes). You may even want to put black tape over the IR sensor on the HD-PVR.
For channel changes either use a third party IR blaster or if you have a 32 bit OS you can try firewire channel changing, presuming that your set-top box and PC support firewire.

As always YMMV.

Some have had a great experience with the HD-PVR, others not so great. Mine have ran the gambit from "Hey, this works - awesome", to "arrugh, this is annoying with all the micro freezes", to "OK, not too bad, at least the recordings are watchable".

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:56 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the link, I will give that a shot. I would like to also try another driver. The link to the old drivers on SHSPVR doesn't appear to be working.
http://www.shspvr.com/ftp/download/wintv-hdpvr/

Is there another place to find the old HD-PVR drivers? I would like to try 1.0.5.301 and maybe 1.5.6.1 if that doesn't work. Thanks,

Austin
Old 03-08-2016, 01:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

When I last had my HD-PVR setup, I was running the latest driver with 5.1 optical out for audio. The 5.1 audio seemed to cause some issues when updating the HD-PVR driver.

As mentioned you need to run HWClear to completely remove whatever Hauppauge driver is loaded, before installing a different one.
Keep in mind also when installing the HD-PVR driver, it may also install new firmware to the HD-PVR.

towards the end of my using the HD-PVR, it was working almost acceptably. I feel what made the most difference was not loading any Hauppauge IR blaster software. I was using firewire to change channels but a third party IR would work just as well.

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhiteguy View Post
Thanks for the link, I will give that a shot. I would like to also try another driver. The link to the old drivers on SHSPVR doesn't appear to be working.
http://www.shspvr.com/ftp/download/wintv-hdpvr/

Is there another place to find the old HD-PVR drivers? I would like to try 1.0.5.301 and maybe 1.5.6.1 if that doesn't work. Thanks,

Austin
That becuases I close the web site down Austin
Old 03-08-2016, 10:04 PM
Sage User

Oh, that would explain it. Do you have another way to share these drivers?
Austin
Old 03-09-2016, 07:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have been running two of the HD-PVR's in my current server since Jan of 2012. I am using driver version 1.6.29277.0 according to device manager. I am using optical audio input from my directv receivers. I have the directv box locked to 720p. I am changing channels from a serial port on the server to a 9 pin serial cable to a serial to usb adapter then to the directv receiver. My server is windows 2008R2 (64bit). This has been rock solid with one exception a few years ago when I had to replace the power transformer on one of the HD-PVR's. My server is on a ups and last time is was booted was over a year ago. I am sure this setup has captured over a thousand recordings.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Sage User

Wow, that's a pretty solid setup. So I haven't done the reinstall yet, but I did try a quick switch to analog audio and, bam! no more dropouts.

I would prefer to use SPDIF of course, so I would like to know others successful combinations. If you are using SPDIF audio successfully, what driver are you running and are you using the built in blaster or not?

I have noticed another issue that when watching live TV it doesn't always survive a guide transition to the next show. The video usually stops. Sometimes I can ff and it will start going again. I have also had it refuse to do anything but rewind or stop when it gets to the end of a show even though the hd-pvr is still recording. It's like sage doesn't know to move on to the next recording or something, but it doesn't happen with my other tuners. Any ideas on that? Thanks,
Austin