SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-21-2004, 07:31 AM
Sage User

Angry SageTv not working

i'm new to the PVR scene, but after reading about it on some different sites I thought it would be cool. So I dragged out my old 800 Mhz computer from the closet and bought the hauppauge wintv-pvr 250.

All of the system specs as I have it are;
800 Mhz
256 RAM
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 250
ATI All in Wonder video graphics card(strictly for tv-out)
40 gig harddrive

I've installed the cd that came with the 250, and am able to view cable on my monitor using Wintv32 and Wintv2000.

When installing SageTV everything seems to go fine. I have directx 9 installed, the right java runtime. When setup begins it detects the 250 card, I put in the zip and it finds my cable provider and downloads the channels.

however, when I goto livetv and try to watch something.....

All my channels have no programming information. If I try to watch it anyways all I get is a black screen with no sound.

Any ideas?
Old 08-21-2004, 09:34 AM
Sage Icon

How long did you wait before looking at the programming guide? It takes a while to download and process the TV schedule. I would give it about five minutes first.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:04 AM
Sage User

I just redid the setup wizard and then gave it 10 minutes to process the schedule. No change.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Adding or deleting a channel from the lineup does (or used to) force updating of the programming information. That might work.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:55 AM
Sage User

Also didn't work. In the scheduling guide it says the name of the channel, but where the title of the show would be it says No Data.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:26 PM
SageTVaholic

uninstall sageTV and delete the whole folder

reinstall SageTV and setup it up again

the guide data the first time takes forever on dial up BTW

and also make sure to configure your audio render & decoder and video render & decoder
Old 08-21-2004, 07:14 PM
Sage User

I did the clean install, no work, I have a cable modem. waited the mandatory 20 minutes, still nothing, what exactly do you mean by configure your audio render and decoder and video render and decoder?
Old 08-21-2004, 07:26 PM
SageTVaholic

do not leave them as default

and try another source just for testing to see if you can get EPG at all
Old 08-22-2004, 06:18 AM
Sage User

ok, I changed the render/decoders for both audio and video, no change. As for trying another source, I don't have anything to use other than the television cable. I have no s-video or anything like that;(

I left sagetv running while I was at work, so I doubt it's still trying to d/l the information or process it.

What I don't get is why it can d/l the channel listings(know that channel 3 is SHO and channel 5 is TBS and 98 is HBO etc....) but it doesn't get the programing information for those channels....

I also don't understand why wintv32 and wintv2000 both play cable just fine.

Any insights would be appreciated.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:37 AM

Have you tried uninstalling and deleting your Frey folder? If that does not work, do you have any special kind of firewall setup that might keep Sage from getting the data?
Old 08-22-2004, 06:40 AM
Sage User

I did the complete uninstall reinstall, including deleting the frey folder. I have a router setup, but that shouldn't be stopping it. There is no firewall on that pc. The router isn't blocking any ports. The pc is able to connect to my network no problem. I can also browse the web with no problems.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Quote:
Originally posted by Fien
I did the complete uninstall reinstall, including deleting the frey folder. I have a router setup, but that shouldn't be stopping it. There is no firewall on that pc. The router isn't blocking any ports. The pc is able to connect to my network no problem. I can also browse the web with no problems.
Since you're having problems with the download of the EPG data (and please corret me if I mis-read that), I would recommend that you first make sure that the machine is fully patched (MS patches etc.) and then, if your router supports it, list the machine as a "DMZ" host. This will allow the machine full access to the internet without regard to the router's configuration.

Now, once this is done, check to see if you can pull EPG data. If it works, then the next step is to identify the port being used to pull EPG data (I'm sure someone here knows that answer) and then to pop a port opening in the router's configuration to allow traffic out on that port, and then remove the machine from being a "DMZ" host.

Make sense?

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 08-22-2004, 07:21 AM
Sage User

Yes this makes sense, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to use netstat before and after sagetv is active to identify the correct port. My question is, how do I know if I am pulling EPG data. My guess is that it shows up in the LiveTV listings. If this is wrong please let me know. I'm starting all that you just suggested now.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:36 AM
Sage User

huh, this is weird.

I did what you said, I heard to make the epg refresh you just add or remove channels to your listing. well I removed them all except for channel 3(showtime) hoping it would speed it up. The computer is now in the DMZ, I used netstat and found the port that only opened up when sagetv was run. Well still nothing.

however, when I added the rest of the channels back, only showtime has the blue bar saying no data. The others just don't have anything

it's kinda like this

3 ---------------------------------------------------------
show <No Data___________________________________|

WBDT

TBS

etc... no lines, no bars saying what's on or that their is no data...weird
Old 08-22-2004, 07:37 AM
Sage User

well I'm off to bed, need sleep now. Hopefully when I wake up someone may have come up with a solution.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:45 AM
Sage Icon

I am not sure if removing channels will force an update, but turning one off and back on does. Port 7760 is used to get the EPG data. To know if the EPG data has been downloaded check the System Information for the Last EPG Update and Next Update lines. You should see something like:
Next Update In: 4 hours 9 minutes
Then force an update by truning a channel off and back on, then use the right arrow.
Check the System Information again and you should see:
Next Update In: 0 min
This would indicate that it is downloading or attempting to, the EPG data.
When completed the Next Update line will show something several hours away.
You should then see some EPG data.
The first EPG data download could take a long time.
I would not attemp to do anything else with SageTV until you at least see the EPG data. Your system is close to the min. requirement for SageTV and is probably adding to the problems you are seeing.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:50 AM
SageTVaholic

There should be bo need to put the machine in the DMZ -- Sage only makes outgoing connections to the EPG server, and most routers allow all outgoing traffic by default...
Sage's listening ports is for SageClient connections
The fact that it can get the channel names in your lineup means that it is able to contact the EPG server, it just cannot get the program data... This may be a temporary glitch in the EPG server..

However.. the fact that you cannot tune in any channels is a different problem: you should still be able to watch TV even without a populated EPG...

WinTV2000 uses a different method to tune and playback the Hauppauge cards than Sage does (Sage uses DirectX), so the fact that WinTV works only serves to verify that your antenna is connected...

Try tuning into each channel (PgUp/Down in full-screen TV) to confirm that they are all not working...

In setup/detailed setup/video, change the Mpeg2 decoder from Default to whatever you have installed (if you have not got one installed, then this may be part of your problem).

Change the video renderer from default to Overlay, and then to VMR9,
After each change hit the 'reload media player' button and go back to live TV to see if your changes have helped.

In the Audio section, change the Audio renderer from Default to your sound card, and change the Audio decoder to your MPEG2 audio decoder

If you are using TV-out, check that the vide card is set to Clone mode...

um... Thats all I can think of for the moment...
Old 08-22-2004, 03:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If you are using TV-out, check that the vide card is set to Clone mode...
and set to primary

and when I said try another EPG guide data

I did mean that you had to have another source

you should be able to choose any Guide data source
not necessarily the one you are using

I just wanted to know if you can get any EPG guide data at all
Old 08-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Sage User

I have the exact same problem so if you ever get it solved let me know. Everything works fine in WinTV2000 but nothing above 13 in Sage. When I go to setup channels and choose "view" several times on the same channel I get a fuzzy picture for a second and thats about it.... I'm sure it's something simple but it's got me lost...
Old 08-27-2004, 05:01 AM
Sage User

I don't even get those first 13 channels