SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:34 PM
Sage Icon

Comskip only works on local channels

Comskip only works on local channels. SageTV version 9. All the recorded files have "CS", but only the local channels have "commercial blocks" marked. Only the local channels have EDL files. All recordings, locals and cable channels, are done with a cable card using the TS format.

When attempting to run Comskip against a TS file recorded from a cable channel, the error is displayed: Video PID not found, available video PID's. No EDL file is created.

When attemping to run Comskip against a TS file recorded from a cable card using the TS format, Comskip works properly, creates a EDL file.

It's not clear what is causing Comskip to not function properly on cable channels, when it does function properly on locals, all recorded in TS format from the same cable card.
SageTV: LIAN LI PC-K58, Gigabyte GA-EX580UD5, i-7 950 3.06 gig quad LGA 1366 CPU, Zalman CNPS9700 CPU cooler 1366 bracket, Memory 24 gigs GB, PNY NVIDIA GeoForce 9800 GT 1024 MB, Corsair 750w PSU, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD boot, 3 x 1.5 TB
Capture cards: 2 - HDHR Primes - Comcast Xfinity CableTV
Extenders: 1-HD-300, 2-HD-200
Software: Windows 7 Pro X64, Ghost 15, VideoReDo TVSuite 4 h.264, Playon (Netflix), OpenDCT
UnRAID File Server 4.7 Pro: Lian-Li PC-G70B, MBD-X8SIL-F-O, i3-540, 16 TB
Old 04-13-2017, 06:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Comskip only works on local channels. SageTV version 9. All the recorded files have "CS", but only the local channels have "commercial blocks" marked. Only the local channels have EDL files. All recordings, locals and cable channels, are done with a cable card using the TS format.

When attempting to run Comskip against a TS file recorded from a cable channel, the error is displayed: Video PID not found, available video PID's. No EDL file is created.

When attemping to run Comskip against a TS file recorded from a cable card using the TS format, Comskip works properly, creates a EDL file.

It's not clear what is causing Comskip to not function properly on cable channels, when it does function properly on locals, all recorded in TS format from the same cable card.
Have you looked at the recording details?

I know some cable companies have been transitioning from MPEG2 encoding to h.264 encoding. I believe the recordings will get stored on your PC in a .ts container either way, so you can't tell by the file extension alone.

I don't use Comskip, but I know the free version did not support h.264 files in the past. You had to pay for the donator version to handle those files.

So I would check to see how the problem files are encoded and then make sure you have a version of Comskip that is compatible.
Source:
Comcast Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250
Old 04-14-2017, 01:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post

Are you using the free, or donator version of Comskip? If you are/were using the donator version and put it in the regular Comskip folder any time Comskip comes out with a new version via the Comskip plugin it will overwrite your donator copy with the free copy.
I install the donator version in its own directory and then point the Commercial Detector to that version to run on all programs.

The free version won't work on some types of recordings at all. I'm not sure if that it your problem because I thought if that were the case the Comskip log file would tell you that you needed the donator version for that type of file.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:49 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the responses. I rebuilt my SageTV headless computer from the ground up using the same hardware, installing Windows 7 Pro, instead of Windows 7 Home. I already had a copy of Windows 7 Pro, and wanted to have my 24 gig of memory recognized by the operating system.

It was interesting to discover that the local channels and 'cable' channels recorded using two HD HomeRun Primes were all TS files. However, looking at the "Format" properties, there are differences.

The local channels recorded from digital cable TV have the following properties:
MPEG2-TS[MPEG2-Video 16:9 720p@60 fps, Dolby Digital/384Kbps@48KHz 5.1 eng, Dolby Digital/192Kbps@48KHz Stereo spa].

The 'cable' channels recorded from digital cable TV have the following properties:
MPEG2-TS[H.264 16:9 720p@60fps, Dolby Digital/384Kbps@48KHz 5.1 dolby digital/96Kbps@48KHz].

I thought I was using the Comskip Donar version, but I was actually using the 'free' version. Replacing the Comskip 'free' version with the Comskip 'Donar' version fixed the problem. Now Comskip works on all channels.

Occasionally, I am getting errors with my two HD HomeRun Prime devices where the Digital TV tuner stopped producing data while recording, and SageTV will try to reset the device. I purchased a couple of 10/100/1000 network cards to provide a direct data paths from the two HD HomeRun Primes into the SageTV computer, instead of possibly contending with other data that runs through my 24 port switch.
SageTV: LIAN LI PC-K58, Gigabyte GA-EX580UD5, i-7 950 3.06 gig quad LGA 1366 CPU, Zalman CNPS9700 CPU cooler 1366 bracket, Memory 24 gigs GB, PNY NVIDIA GeoForce 9800 GT 1024 MB, Corsair 750w PSU, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD boot, 3 x 1.5 TB
Capture cards: 2 - HDHR Primes - Comcast Xfinity CableTV
Extenders: 1-HD-300, 2-HD-200
Software: Windows 7 Pro X64, Ghost 15, VideoReDo TVSuite 4 h.264, Playon (Netflix), OpenDCT
UnRAID File Server 4.7 Pro: Lian-Li PC-G70B, MBD-X8SIL-F-O, i3-540, 16 TB
Old 04-16-2017, 10:03 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
Are you using the free, or donator version of Comskip? If you are/were using the donator version and put it in the regular Comskip folder any time Comskip comes out with a new version via the Comskip plugin it will overwrite your donator copy with the free copy.
I install the donator version in its own directory and then point the Commercial Detector to that version to run on all programs.

The free version won't work on some types of recordings at all. I'm not sure if that it your problem because I thought if that were the case the Comskip log file would tell you that you needed the donator version for that type of file.
Thanks waynedunham, I must have updated the plugin and lost my donor version. I followed your suggestion and added a separate folder with the latest donor version.
Servers: unRAID 11TB [for media and files] | SageTV [Win10 Pro64, ASRock H77 Pro4-M, Core i3-3220T, 16GB RAM, 120GB System SSD, HD Plex H5.S Case] | Sources: 2 x Silicon Dust HDHomeRun | Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Prime Clients: 4 x HD-300

WTB: HD-300 IR Eye
Old 04-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianblank View Post
Thanks waynedunham, I must have updated the plugin and lost my donor version. I followed your suggestion and added a separate folder with the latest donor version.
I put the donator in its own folder after updates overwriting my donator that I'd installed in the default directory a couple times over the years.
The one good thing about that is it would usually prompt me to go check if there was a newer donator version available. Now I only remember to check when I see messages like the ones here.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:22 AM
SageTVaholic

It looks like Comskip is still being actively developed, which is good to see. There were a couple of new versions out in February of this year.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:00 PM
Sage Icon

I updated to the latest version of Comskip Donator when I upgraded to SageTV V9 around the beginning of April.