SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Comskip Files - Intial attempt bad, 2nd correct?

Long time comskip user with an odd but very annoying problem.

I've been using comskip for years, launched via Dirmon2. For a while now I've noticed very few skip marks and they are mostly in the beginning of a show. When I deleted the EDL file and let Dirmon2 re-run comskip, I get a much better result. That seemed odd so I thought maybe Dirmon2 was processing the file too quickly so I changed the job management to wait until the file is finished, idle and not growing. This made no difference.

Anyone know why the first attempt at analyzing a file would result in a bad EDL file but the second attempt is more than acceptable? I'm finding myself deleting all the first EDL/TXT files and letting Dirmon2 re-analyze everything.

The most puzzling thing is that nothing has changed in my set-up that I can pinpoint.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Are you sure the automatic and manual runs of comskip are done with:
1.) The same version of comskip
2.) The same comskip.ini
Other Clients: HD-300 in Master Bedroom, HD200 in kids play room
Old 09-23-2016, 07:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Are you sure the automatic and manual runs of comskip are done with:
1.) The same version of comskip
2.) The same comskip.ini
I believe that I'm using the same version of comskip because technically, they're all automatic. The difference between the first and second analysis is just that I deleted the EDL/TXT files which causes Dirmon2 to re-run comskip for the TS file. I'm assuming that comskip is being run by Dirmon2 always but let me see if comskip is running when I start a recording. It shouldn't be because I told Dirmon2 to wait until the file is done but maybe it is waiting while another instance of comskip is analysing the file and creating the EDL/TXT files. Would be a good experiment although I have no idea what might be kicking off the process before Dirmon2.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeclad View Post
For a while now I've noticed very few skip marks and they are mostly in the beginning of a show. When I deleted the EDL file and let Dirmon2 re-run comskip, I get a much better result.
Is the comskip process crashing on the initial run before it completes?
Server/Client: SageTV 7.1.9 RC; Windows 7; Gigabyte 780G motherboard; AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000; 4GB RAM; 1x 160GB OS hard drive; 2x 1TB recording hard drives; Hauppauge HVR-1800; Hauppauge HVR-1600; SiliconDust HDHR3
Client: Dell Optiplex 780; Windows 7 x64; Core2Duo; ATI HD6450; 4GB RAM
Client: Dell Optiplex 755; Windows 7 x64; Core2Duo; ATI HD5450; 4GB RAM
Old 09-23-2016, 08:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeclad View Post
I believe that I'm using the same version of comskip because technically, they're all automatic. The difference between the first and second analysis is just that I deleted the EDL/TXT files which causes Dirmon2 to re-run comskip for the TS file. I'm assuming that comskip is being run by Dirmon2 always but let me see if comskip is running when I start a recording. It shouldn't be because I told Dirmon2 to wait until the file is done but maybe it is waiting while another instance of comskip is analysing the file and creating the EDL/TXT files. Would be a good experiment although I have no idea what might be kicking off the process before Dirmon2.
Do you have the CommercialDetector plugin installed?
Other Clients: HD-300 in Master Bedroom, HD200 in kids play room