SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 07-27-2004, 10:01 AM
Sage User

User Interface Report and Suggestions

Just ran across this and thought you all might enjoy a look at it. Its a free 40 page report on the current state of user interfaces for PVR's. Hope it spurs many ideas!

Cheers,
roco

http://pvr.teehanlax.com/teehan_lax-PVRv1-2.pdf

Last edited by roco; 07-28-2004 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:59 AM

That is a great resource. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2004, 11:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

Edited: I made a throwaway joke here, and then this thread became a really useful and serious discussion of how to make a better PVR interface. Since then I've probably reread this thread 4 or 5 times and I got really annoyed looking at my joke over and over at the top of the thread, so I killed it.

Good luck with implementing this interface. I think it's a fantastic opportunity.

Last edited by kevpriest; 07-30-2004 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:01 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Very nice presentation. I especially like their concept for the LiveTV and Playback screens. All of that extra info in the timebar seems very useful. MlbDude, any chance you could impliment something like that in the timebar?
Old 07-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yeah, good article. The only thing is, most things I read about remotes are based on people using their thumbs to operate them. I never use my thumb for any remote, I use my index finger, holding it with my hand over top. I find it MUCH easier to use this way. Am I the only one that uses my index finger for the remote instead of my thumb?
Old 07-27-2004, 12:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Article was great. And I agree with enough of it to say I would love to see SageTV do this. My issues with it are small.

Honestly I even liked the color scheme they came up with. Very readable, and soft on the eyes.

I am a thumber on a remote....
Old 07-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to ErsatzTom
Thumb.

Haven't read it yet... just assisting in threadjacking.

t
Old 07-27-2004, 01:36 PM

So who is going to get me the stock PNG images necessary to build this?
Old 07-27-2004, 02:25 PM
Sage Icon

Umm... I could sketch them out in Microsoft Paint, and give you .BMP files, lol.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:24 PM
Sage Icon

Something like this?

I did this with a quick 20 minute session in Gimp for Windows. If I knew what I was doing, I could have probably done it in about 3-5 minutes, hehe.
Attached Files
File Type: zip time.zip (2.8 KB, 488 views)
Old 07-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Nice

One down, Many Left.

I am going to go out and buy a book on PaintShop and PhotoShop. See if I can't contibute to this. Will also start looking for fonts.

Sage has many of the screens (ish) that they are asking for in their ideal state, they just need some tweaking. I am going to show this to my wife tonight, but I think she is going to love the look and feel. It is very natural.

Having been in the Software Business for a long time, it always amazes me that more companies don't do research like this, to see what the Usabablity and Acceptance factor or user interfaces are. Bottom line is if the WAF isn't there, no amount of technical gee wiz is going to make the product sell and see adoption.

PS. For those of you that haven't take a look at Meedio. They did a nice job on the interface. I really liked the Beach Theme (seperate download). Don't know if others will. But it gives you an idea about the power of the user interface.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Found the font

The actual font is called Interstate. It is a heavily royaltied item. A free knock-off version is called Blue Highway, it can be obtained from here:

http://www.larabiefonts.com/fonts/b2.html

Note if you want more of the Blue Highway family, you can buy the whole family for $22 from the author.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Sage Icon

OK, we get it edbmdave!!! hehe

Anyways, I extracted what I think would make good timebar elements. Hope you like.
Attached Files
File Type: zip timebar.zip (10.2 KB, 403 views)
Old 07-27-2004, 06:24 PM
Sage Icon

I just wish someone would come up with a theme that looks exactly like the Dishnet PVR, then my WAF would be 110% (I used to have those in the house, but got rid of them when we moved as we could get cable for a bit less with our internet). If the remote wasn't UHF, I'd probably use it with the Sage system here now .
Old 07-27-2004, 09:28 PM
Sage Icon

As I posted above, I did the images in Gimp, which is close to what photoshop is, except open source and free!!. Anyways, I did the images in .png, and set the transparency for the unused areas of the images.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:13 PM
Sage User

Rather than buying fonts or emulating our screens you could have just asked for some help directly. Our contact info is both on our site and in the PDF. We're easy to get a hold of. Microsoft, who is the biggest down-loader of the file has also yet to contact us, we can only assume and be flattered by the assumption that some of our ideas will be part of the next Media Center release.

My partner and I have some rather big ideas outside of the GUI that can make this device work for you in ways not yet thought of (obviously these ideas are not yet part of the current PDF).

That said we are developing these ideas and are documenting ( http://pvr.teehanlax.com ) our questions, successes and failures during the process of bringing this product to market. We welcome comments and suggestions to further it's development.

Geoff Teehan

Last edited by gteehan; 07-27-2004 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by gteehan
Rather than buying fonts or emulating our screens you could have just asked for some help directly. Our contact info is both on our site and in the PDF. We're easy to get a hold of. Microsoft, who is the biggest down-loader of the file has also yet to contact us, we can only assume and be flattered by the assumption that some of our ideas will be part of the next Media Center release.

My partner and I have some rather big ideas outside of the GUI that can make this device work for you in ways not yet thought of (obviously these ideas are not yet part of the current PDF).

That said we are developing these ideas and are documenting ( http://pvr.teehanlax.com ) our questions, successes and failures during the process of bringing this product to market. We welcome comments and suggestions to further it's development.

Geoff Teehan

OK. I am not shy, Would you be willing to help us implement a UI (STV in SageSpeak) like you outlined for SageTV? As you can see from the thread this all kind of happened in the space of hours...

Really like the work you did for/in the paper.... Very well done.

MLBDude is the holder of the Studio product that can actually implement and create the actual STV? What do you say? MlbDude/GTeehan?

Last edited by edbmdave; 07-27-2004 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:55 AM
Sage Icon

I agree, You guys have designed an excellent potential interface for a PVR. I hope that you are flattered that a few of us are trying to see what it would look like in a working PVR interface.
I apologize if you are insulted by me trying to grab a few images so a demo of what you had in mind could be shown. I would like your guys blessing, but wasn't expecting to ask until we could get it working. Again thanks for the input and a great paper on the subject.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:34 AM
Sage User

We'd be happy to help.

MLBdude, if you are interested in implementing any of our ideas we'd be willing to supply any assets necessary. It would also be great to understand what the limitations of the software is. We felt one of the live TV timebar's strengths was it's ability to understand what has been cached. To give this cached information context, it has the ability to display the show names for the given channel in that 90-120 minute timeslot. It's things like this that we'd love to see implemented but are pretty sure a skinning tool can't provide. Thoughts?
Old 07-28-2004, 11:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

I just think it would excellent to get this implemented...hopefully you all can work out the details. And maybe having that remote available too?!?