SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:45 AM

Hey there,
I've been looking to modify my STV pretty heavily, especially in the area of commercial detection, and this looks great! The only problem, and I'm probably overlooking something, is that I can only spot the version 17 release on this page. It looks like 18e is available, and that I just don't know where to look. Can someone help me out?

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2005, 08:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktis
Hey there,
I've been looking to modify my STV pretty heavily, especially in the area of commercial detection, and this looks great! The only problem, and I'm probably overlooking something, is that I can only spot the version 17 release on this page. It looks like 18e is available, and that I just don't know where to look. Can someone help me out?

Thanks!
18e of cayers is not available to the public. if you read that thread it appears he has gone missing for a while.

about this STV, it looks really interesting to me, but I would need a "for dummies" installation instructions. and also, can I use this to aloww access to my files from any remote pc regardless of whether sage is installed?
Old 04-06-2005, 10:36 AM

Well, I personally use mapped network drives (share out the recording folder) and Windows Media Player to connect over to it so that I can view the files on other machines. It doesn't update the viewed flag, or any of the other nice internal features, but it's free and it works.
I don't think that it allows you to circumvent SageTV Client licensing, if that's what you're asking... otherwise Cayer would probably be getting his butt sued off. It might offer an alternative client later, but I didn't see any mention of it. Regardless, mapped drives work well enough if all you want to do is access the files.

Thanks for the info, hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

I don't understand where sage client gets involved if we're streaming wmv files?

anyway, I wanted an easy way to compress the .mpg files because autogk, etc is still too complicated for me. I want to press 'compress' and get a good file outputted so I can archive many on 1 dvd.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Sage User

Well I havent had a chance to try it yet but the lastest one is suppose to do just that. you hit compress and within 5 mins it does this for ya. Or at least that how I remember reading it this morning.

ajuhawk,
Can't wait to try this new version when I get home! One question. Can you make the process default to below normal priority by default? I only as because in the past I just manual do this so I can cont to watch sage. But that was before you automated it so I was already at the keyboard

Just a thought. Otherwise Sage just hangs and takes forever to respond to any commands. This would also allow the services to have higher priority for better (less choppy) recordings if you happen to start compressing while its recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzerbee
I don't understand where sage client gets involved if we're streaming wmv files?

anyway, I wanted an easy way to compress the .mpg files because autogk, etc is still too complicated for me. I want to press 'compress' and get a good file outputted so I can archive many on 1 dvd.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
about this STV, it looks really interesting to me, but I would need a "for dummies" installation instructions.
The installation is really easy if you're able to spot it in the 25 pages of the first post :

"Extract JavaR2.zip into your Java library extensions directory (i.e. C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib\ext)

Extract CoreFilesR2.zip into your main SageTV directory. Please make sure nested folders get extracted correctly.

Extract Cayars17.zip into your main SageTV directory. Please make sure nested folders get extracted correctly."

Then you just need to set the STV to cayars and you are set.

Quote:
You're probably out of the realm of the dummy install by then... You'll have to figure out the compression/transcoding but it is possible to encode in DIVx/xvid for example

Gog

Last edited by Gog; 04-06-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorien
ajuhawk,
Can't wait to try this new version when I get home! One question. Can you make the process default to below normal priority by default? I only as because in the past I just manual do this so I can cont to watch sage.
Scary - I was actually thinking about that. You could just upgrade to a nice 3.0GHz HT processor Ok, so I should be able to add an option to have it run at low or normal priority without too much trouble.

As for everyone else - if you have requests for functionality of the program I'm working on, let me know. My next step is going to be to add the format requested by seamonkey, which shouldn't be too bad at all.

Edit: Tell me how this version runs, currently when it calls the encoder it is a Normal Priority, so if you have something else going they should share ok...

Last edited by ajuhawk; 04-06-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

So is this what you were looking for?
Old 04-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Sage User

ajuhawk
Well im back from my nap. I tried it after making some settings. I know get this error. Since there is not an ini file I had to take it to my other system to see which switch did it. It looks like the autorun gives this to me. It also looks as though it keeps the info in the reg because just replacing the exe doesnt change anything.

One more thing. since there is no ini how does one configure their system for your exe? when it was on my other system I notice that one of the errors was it couldnt find the video folder which it said was r:\tv (or something similar). And now I'm wondering if you have the jobs folder looking somewhere else too. kinda hard to tell because there's nothing to look at.

Let me know what you think.
Attached Files
File Type: doc error.doc (416.6 KB, 239 views)
Old 04-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuhawk
So is this what you were looking for?
I'm not sure what you're asking me - which 'this'
re Cayers 17 - it's up and running for about a week. So far so good. I do appreciate the installation summary for it though!

re the files in this thread, I tried installing them a few days ago but got hung up. As I posted a few days ago the encoding window popped up and said done! if I ran the .exe directly, but nothing was done. I got the same result if I called it from sage/cayers. So I restored an image I had made and that was the end of that. But I like the idea and am not sure where to jump in. (I was having other, unrelated problems, so I thought I'd give this a whirl before restoring the image).

Now I'm not sure which package to download and accompanying instructions. I'm not a programmer, if you couldn't tell

edit: I am AKA 'the wife'... so that tells you the level of complication I can stand!

Last edited by buzzerbee; 04-06-2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Sage User

Yeah when you get that "done" and doesnt feel like its done anything at all it because it is looking to only compress mpg that have been tagged to be compresses threw cayars stv. Now its not using the settings in the xml file that the stv puts into the xml file, but uses the xml file as a marker for ajuhawk app. It looks for it when you have that compress option checked off so that you can pick and choose what shows to compress to wmv. If that boxes is left unchecked it compresses all of them. In the older version you could tell the ini of his app where this job folder was and make that the same folder in the GUI stv as well(which was bugged to only seem to work in ..\video). But this lastest version you can't. which is where i'm running into some of my latest issues.

You might see where I had a similar issue ealier in the thread. Does that help any?

Quote:
re Cayers 17 - it's up and running for about a week. So far so good. I do appreciate the installation summary for it though!

re the files in this thread, I tried installing them a few days ago but got hung up. As I posted a few days ago the encoding window popped up and said done! if I ran the .exe directly, but nothing was done. I got the same result if I called it from sage/cayers. So I restored an image I had made and that was the end of that. But I like the idea and am not sure where to jump in. (I was having other, unrelated problems, so I thought I'd give this a whirl before restoring the image).

Now I'm not sure which package to download and accompanying instructions. I'm not a programmer, if you couldn't tell

edit: I am AKA 'the wife'... so that tells you the level of complication I can stand!
Old 04-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
ajuhawk
Well im back from my nap. I tried it after making some settings. I know get this error. Since there is not an ini file I had to take it to my other system to see which switch did it. It looks like the autorun gives this to me. It also looks as though it keeps the info in the reg because just replacing the exe doesnt change anything.

One more thing. since there is no ini how does one configure their system for your exe? when it was on my other system I notice that one of the errors was it couldnt find the video folder which it said was r:\tv (or something similar). And now I'm wondering if you have the jobs folder looking somewhere else too. kinda hard to tell because there's nothing to look at.

Let me know what you think.
There's a menu button called "Setup" - go there and change the directories to your own and make sure you save settings before closing. Everything will work perfectly then. However, if you all ready checked the autorun box and saved settings and then closed sage encoder, you'll have to dig into the registry and change that to false (it's under HKEY_USERS\Software\SageEncoder) find autoStart and change it to false. I discovered this "feature" when I ran it on another computer that doesn't have the same mapped drives, so I will be looking for a way to get it fixed. IN the meantime, please use the SETUP menu option PRIOR to pressing start or checking the Auto Run box! It'll make things work better

PS - hoping to spend time on this tomorrow night, no time tonight.

Last edited by ajuhawk; 04-06-2005 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I guess I was refering to the whole "automated" encoding of files to .wmv, is this as easy as you need or were you looking for a different file format output, etc.
Quote:
re the files in this thread, I tried installing them a few days ago but got hung up. As I posted a few days ago the encoding window popped up and said done! if I ran the .exe directly, but nothing was done.
As was noted by Dorien, that probably happened because the directories weren't setup in the .ini. NOW you don't need the .ini so it should be easier for people to get this up and running. All you have to do is select the "SETUP" menu, put your directories in there, and hit go (with the appropriate options selected on the main scree). I've also added a QUICK HELP under the help menu that describes what everything on the main screen is for. Hope that helps.

As for what to download, my suggestion is my latest rev found
here
Old 04-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Sage User

That's what I needed to know... thanks...

PS it's HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Software\SageEncoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuhawk
There's a menu button called "Setup" - go there and change the directories to your own and make sure you save settings before closing. Everything will work perfectly then. However, if you all ready checked the autorun box and saved settings and then closed sage encoder, you'll have to dig into the registry and change that to false (it's under HKEY_USERS\Software\SageEncoder) find autoStart and change it to false. I discovered this "feature" when I ran it on another computer that doesn't have the same mapped drives, so I will be looking for a way to get it fixed. IN the meantime, please use the SETUP menu option PRIOR to pressing start or checking the Auto Run box! It'll make things work better

PS - hoping to spend time on this tomorrow night, no time tonight.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
PS it's HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Software\SageEncoder
Depends on your system, that's where it's "supposed" to be though! THink I've figured out how to avoid this in the future, so I should be able to code it tonight...
Old 04-07-2005, 05:29 AM
Sage User

ajuhawk,
I got it working last night and it seems to be running a little smother than before. But I am still haveing that same issue where the HTML files are not linking to each other correctly.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
ajuhawk,
I got it working last night and it seems to be running a little smother than before. But I am still haveing that same issue where the HTML files are not linking to each other correctly.
I really appreciate you guys trying to help me out.

I'll download the file and retry it, after I reinstall WME first.

wmv format is fine, bec I don't know squat about divx and all its permutations --or any other formats, for that matter.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
ajuhawk,
I take it that the new ones aren't being done correctly? It won't go back and fix the old ones...

Edit: I found one small error in the way I was making showname.html but even with that wrong it was working on my end and the linkage between the files is fine. Which webserver are you using?

Last edited by ajuhawk; 04-07-2005 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

here's a small update. I fixed the problem with using auto run if you haven't gone to the setup menu by not letting you do that So you'll have to go into setup first (even if you've used the program before) and save settings (even though they may be correct if you've used it before) and then you'll be good to go.

seamonkey - I'll work on your additions next, I promise.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SageTV Encoder b0.1.2.zip (14.7 KB, 231 views)
Old 04-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

I installed win media encoder and downloaded the file in the post above this to that encoder folder. I changed the settings in the Setup menu to my folders.

I still don't understand how to call it inside sage (cayers 17) and also, what's the difference between the 'input directory' and 'jobs folder'. I see that the 'jobs folder' is using the xml file from sage/cayers, but where do I set that up in sage?

thanks