SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 04-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzerbee
I still don't understand how to call it inside sage (cayers 17)
Go to the first post of this thread and read the directions under -Encode.cmd
Quote:
what's the difference between the 'input directory' and 'jobs folder'. I see that the 'jobs folder' is using the xml file from sage/cayers, but where do I set that up in sage?
The jobs folder is where a .mpg.xml file is created if you push "compress" from the detailed view inside Cayars STV. To set this up correctly, go here and view page 55 of the manual (Figure 87).
The Input directory is the folder where all of your files are recorded to by SageTV. It's called the Video Directories in Sage (though this encoder program currently only works with one input directory).
Old 04-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Sage User

Each time I test I start with a blank directory so that I might see if it was working. But yeah I am having the same problems as before. All the HTML files are being created just not linking each other or the file itself.

I'm not even testing this threw the webserver yet. I'm just going directly to the root shows_index.html to see if it works... then after seeing it doesnt link I try the index.html to see if it links to the other on in the directory that is made. But it doesnt. Then I try the last html file and it doesnt link to the wmv either. The WMV plays fine if run directly. All the pages look right threw IE just for whatever reason just not linking. Didnt have this problem in the begining when we were just doing the batch file gimik. And I can't really seem to find where anything is different between your html files and his. Also tried the files on two different systems to be sure. hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuhawk
I take it that the new ones aren't being done correctly? It won't go back and fix the old ones...

Edit: I found one small error in the way I was making showname.html but even with that wrong it was working on my end and the linkage between the files is fine. Which webserver are you using?
Old 04-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorien
Each time I test I start with a blank directory so that I might see if it was working. But yeah I am having the same problems as before. All the HTML files are being created just not linking each other or the file itself.
Do you have a space in your temporary path?

Edit: I took the files you posted the other day and dropped them on a dir with no spaces and they work just fine.

Last edited by ajuhawk; 04-07-2005 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

seamonkey420 - it looks like all your batch file does for your PSP is move the .wmv files to a 2nd directory, if that's correct then I have the mods done and will post as soon as I've debugged.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Go to the first post of this thread and read the directions under -Encode.cmd

The jobs folder is where a .mpg.xml file is created if you push "compress" from the detailed view inside Cayars STV. To set this up correctly, go here and view page 55 of the manual (Figure 87).
The Input directory is the folder where all of your files are recorded to by SageTV. It's called the Video Directories in Sage (though this encoder program currently only works with one input directory).

thanks, will do. missed that part about installing virtualdub!
Old 04-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
thanks, will do. missed that part about installing virtualdub!
sorry for my misdirection, you shouldn't have to install virtualdub... I was mostly pointing out how to setup the menu to call the encoder from Cayars...

On that note, I plan to start a new thread specific to the program I've written so I have control of the first post and can keep all the directions and updates there... probably do that in the next couple days once I hear back from seamonkey
Old 04-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Sage User

Red face

Yeah there is spaces. It is in the webserver dir that I used when this thread first began. Though it work then. I try moving the files I sent you to the C: and it worked as you said it would. Can't understand what is different now

Quote:
Do you have a space in your temporary path?

Edit: I took the files you posted the other day and dropped them on a dir with no spaces and they work just fine.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Yeah there is spaces. It is in the webserver dir that I used when this thread first began. Though it work then. I try moving the files I sent you to the C: and it worked as you said it would. Can't understand what is different now
Well I feel better anyway Glad we got it figured out.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

On that note, I plan to start a new thread specific to the program I've written so I have control of the first post and can keep all the directions and updates there... probably do that in the next couple days once I hear back from seamonkey

I think I'd better wait for that..

I did this (from the first post in this thread):

Right Click in the menu/submenu you want to add the encoding option.

Choose Add New Menu Item > External Program

Then, for external program, use: cmd.exe

Then for arguments/parameters use: /C "C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\SageTV\STVs\OriginalV2\cayars\External\Encode.cmd"
(you can copy this line, then use the Paste From Clipboard option)

Then enter the menu title/text to show: ie, Encode and Publish

Then once your done, right click again and now Save Menu Definition File.

Hopefully you should now be able to just click the option and the encoding will start automatically in teh background.!!

but my path was to your wme.exe

at C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\ and when I use the menu item inside sage, it says "windows cannot find wme.exe, click start and run search".

I used these paths:

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\ and
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder
/C "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder"
/C "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\"

Last edited by buzzerbee; 04-08-2005 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Sage User

Actually the encode.bat is a bat file that you call from within sage that calls the wme.exe for you. IT does a nifty trick like minimizing it so you don't get those DOS screens and menu option screen all over your sage window. Now it might also be possible that the batch file is some how incorrect. right click on it and choose edit and check out the paths there and make sure its all correct. I can see how it might be a little confusing because the batch and the other path are both called Encoder. But the batch is nothing more than a fancy shortcut to the wme.exe. The original batch btw pointed to the same dir but to a wme.bat. Just a thought.

Quote:
I think I'd better wait for that..

I did this (from the first post in this thread):

Right Click in the menu/submenu you want to add the encoding option.

Choose Add New Menu Item > External Program

Then, for external program, use: cmd.exe

Then for arguments/parameters use: /C "C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\SageTV\STVs\OriginalV2\cayars\External\Encode.cmd"
(you can copy this line, then use the Paste From Clipboard option)

Then enter the menu title/text to show: ie, Encode and Publish

Then once your done, right click again and now Save Menu Definition File.

Hopefully you should now be able to just click the option and the encoding will start automatically in teh background.!!

but my path was to your wme.exe

at C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\ and when I use the menu item inside sage, it says "windows cannot find wme.exe, click start and run search".

I used these paths:

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\ and
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder
/C "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder"
/C "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\"

Last edited by Dorien; 04-08-2005 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Actually the encode.bat is a bat file that you call from within sage that calls the wme.exe for you. IT does a nifty trick like minimizing it so you don't get those DOS screens and menu option screen all over your sage window. Now it might also be possible that the batch file is some how incorrect. right click on it and choose edit and check out the paths there and make sure its all correct. I can see how it might be a little confusing because the batch and the other path are both called Encoder. But the batch is nothing more than a fancy shortcut to the wme.exe. The original batch btw pointed to the same dir but to a wme.bat. Just a thought.
I just searched my HD. I have no file called encode.bat.
What download package is it in?

I've got cayers 17 and the file ajuhawk posted Yesterday 07:35 PM and Windows Media Encoder.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:50 PM
Sage User

My bad. Was at work and forgot it was called encode.cmd

Which is basically the same thing.

Place that in the cayars external directory per the instructions you have and make your link within sage to it.

Also, what I said before still holds true. You can right click on it and edit it. This way you can verify that it is pointing to the right location for the wme.exe. Assumeing that you went with the defaults for all your installs it should already be correct. Let me know if that helps.

Might be on later but for now heading out to party with my friends for my BDay.

Quote:
I just searched my HD. I have no file called encode.bat.
What download package is it in?

I've got cayers 17 and the file ajuhawk posted Yesterday 07:35 PM and Windows Media Encoder.

Last edited by Dorien; 04-08-2005 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks Dorien and ajuhawk
you've both been great at helping me along

I've got a .wmv file being encoded right now, so I think it's working- it's getting larger and larger.

But I"m not sure I'm doing this part right:
1) when I select a recording, I go to its menu area (where you have watch now, delete now, recording error, compress) - so I select compress. AFAIK, that makes the .xml file that ajuhawk's program uses. But that takes a long time. how long should it take to create a 30? line xml file? seems like it takes a hour roughly. Maybe that's a bug in cayers that shows "cancel compress" when it's really already done? I have no idea.
2) Then I go to the menu item I created, and it calls up the WM/ajuhawk encoder. Then that is what actually encodes it to wmv.

So I think it's working now.. my wmv file is getting larger and my sys temps are up about 6 degrees celcius.

Maybe I don't have the sys resources, but my rig is extremely slow right now; I agree it should have lower priority, esp as the hotter months come up (I"m at 49 celcius right now! ). Also, when I double click SE in the sys tray, it doesn't maximize it. I wanted to double check the folders, because it looks like it's outputting the .wmv file to the same folder as the .xml file (f: \jobs for me). I thought it would go in the target folder, although it did make a folder in there, nothing's in it.

And Dorien- very happy birthday to you!! Hope it's one you fondly remember for all time.. or if you really celebrate.. you won't remember at all!!

Last edited by buzzerbee; 04-08-2005 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
1) when I select a recording, I go to its menu area (where you have watch now, delete now, recording error, compress) - so I select compress. AFAIK, that makes the .xml file that ajuhawk's program uses. But that takes a long time. how long should it take to create a 30? line xml file? seems like it takes a hour roughly
this should be done instantly, I normally see it done in a matter of seconds.
Quote:
2) Then I go to the menu item I created above, and it calls up the WM/ajuhawk encoder. Then that is what actually encodes it to wmv.
you technically don't have to do this if you have my app set to run at intervals as it then scans the directory every 5 mins for a new file to compress
Quote:
So I think it's working now.. my wmv file is getting larger and my sys temps are up about 6 degrees celcius.

Maybe I don't have the sys resources, but my rig is extremely slow right now; I agree it should have lower priority,
it's currently at the "normal" priority, if I try to set it any lower it'll take way too long to get it done, but I suppose I can see about having an option in there to try and slow it down. This is definately not something for the faint of processor.
Quote:
I"m at 49 celcius right now!
seems nice and low to me, most of my systems are 46-51C just idling
Quote:
Also, when I double click SE in the sys tray, it doesn't maximize it.
since I wait for the encoding process to end before my program continues I lose control over my app. I haven't yet come across a way around this, so in the meantime, if you're currently encoding you won't be able to open my app until it's done.
Quote:
I wanted to double check the folders, because it looks like it's outputting the .wmv file to the same folder as the .xml file (f: \jobs for me). I thought it would go in the target folder, although it did make a folder in there, nothing's in it.
it puts it in the input folder until it's done encoding and then move it to the output folder. So it'll get there Just be patient
Old 04-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Sage User

Red face

Well,
I'm back from the party... the poker party that is. going out again for some real partying tonight.

Anyhow, I'm still having issues with the show_index.html linking to the index.html file in the sub dir. I looked at the s.txt files to see what was missing. But just couldn't tell. But as far I can tell some of the info gets placed in there by the exe and I have no way to break into that info.

One thing I notice is that it only works if the shows_index.html and its sub dir are in the root of C: if you place it in anyother dir (spaces or not) it can't link.

I'm really hopeing to get this resolved. Otherwise there is not much point in compressing if I can stream it back out.

Im placing that example back in this post. Shows_index.html doesnt point to the directory just below it but instead always places the link path in the root of C like so...
C:\TeenTitansWavelength\index.html

Now this happens in no matter what dir I try to place it in. Except it works great if place in root for obvious reasons. I just don't want to have to make the C drive my working directory for these files to work together.

Sorry, I know I did some double talk there but just typing as Im thinking it. Thanks for the help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip shows_index.zip (1.9 KB, 193 views)
Old 04-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Anyhow, I'm still having issues with the show_index.html linking to the index.html file in the sub dir.
I'm not sure what the problem is as I have absolutely no problem with the files you posted. There is one "error" in the shows_index.html that makes me think you haven't actually ran the latest version of my software and encoded a new file. If you haven't done so, I would wipe out everything in your test directory and start from scratch and have it regenerate everything. Or throw a new file in there and have it encode that and then it'll regen the shows_index. But as it stands I was able to put your files many many sub folders deep and it linked just fine.

For my use I mapped a drive to my webserver where I wanted the stuff dumped and so it is the root of that drive, but it's not the root to my webserver and it has no problem serving it.

Sorry that I don't have more insight...
Old 04-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Sage User

Wow 49c! lol My system doesnt even idle at that temp. I think you are going to be ok. My system hits 59-60 easy when crunchin thoses files.

I just want to be able to have it run in low priority because I may want to actually use sage. or sage may actually be recording something at the time and I get audio out of sync problems if I don't up its priority or lower wme.exe, or both.

With my Current compression that I use a 30 min shows takes it about 30 mins to compress. That's why I will do a time recording for testing. Make it like a min long. Otherwise I would be waiting for hours or even days if I did them all.

Seems like ajuhawk covered your other questions. but I wouldnt woryy bout the heat problem.

Quote:
Thanks Dorien and ajuhawk
you've both been great at helping me along

I've got a .wmv file being encoded right now, so I think it's working- it's getting larger and larger.

But I"m not sure I'm doing this part right:
1) when I select a recording, I go to its menu area (where you have watch now, delete now, recording error, compress) - so I select compress. AFAIK, that makes the .xml file that ajuhawk's program uses. But that takes a long time. how long should it take to create a 30? line xml file? seems like it takes a hour roughly. Maybe that's a bug in cayers that shows "cancel compress" when it's really already done? I have no idea.
2) Then I go to the menu item I created, and it calls up the WM/ajuhawk encoder. Then that is what actually encodes it to wmv.

Maybe I don't have the sys resources, but my rig is extremely slow right now; I agree it should have lower priority, esp as the hotter months come up (I"m at 49 celcius right now! ). Also, when I double click SE in the sys tray, it doesn't maximize it. I wanted to double check the folders, because it looks like it's outputting the .wmv file to the same folder as the .xml file (f: \jobs for me). I thought it would go in the target folder, although it did make a folder in there, nothing's in it.

And Dorien- very happy birthday to you!! Hope it's one you fondly remember for all time.. or if you really celebrate.. you won't remember at all!!
Old 04-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I just want to be able to have it run in low priority because I may want to actually use sage. or sage may actually be recording something at the time and I get audio out of sync problems if I don't up its priority or lower wme.exe, or both.
I'll have a version later today or tomorrow that makes this selectable.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Sage User

Yeah, that would be the older files. Didn't think to grab newer ones but that was already on this system. They both produce the same issue.

Right now I can get the webserver to serve shows_index.html. but like I said shows_index.html then tries to look on the root of C: for the linked subfolders.

Never had a problem before. Work flawless before but I perferred the way you stream lined Seamonke's code and added a few others.

You newer code did help the problem though with the html not linking to the wmv file itself. So that part you did resolve.

Where is the info coming from that is planted in the html that tells it what folder and html to link to from Shows_index.html? This is the one thing that I can't seem to locate. My only guess is that its hardcode variables in the wme.exe itself. I would be interested in seeing that if that is the case.

Quote:
I'm not sure what the problem is as I have absolutely no problem with the files you posted. There is one "error" in the shows_index.html that makes me think you haven't actually ran the latest version of my software and encoded a new file. If you haven't done so, I would wipe out everything in your test directory and start from scratch and have it regenerate everything. Or throw a new file in there and have it encode that and then it'll regen the shows_index. But as it stands I was able to put your files many many sub folders deep and it linked just fine.

For my use I mapped a drive to my webserver where I wanted the stuff dumped and so it is the root of that drive, but it's not the root to my webserver and it has no problem serving it.

Sorry that I don't have more insight...
Old 04-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Sage User

Too cool!

Quote:
I'll have a version later today or tomorrow that makes this selectable.