SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Sage User

Opus4:
yes, i am in service mode, and
no, there is no change after a while (at least after 30 minutes...)

in the meantime i have completely removed the whole sage stuff and installed the version 3.0.7 again. the same behaviour.

the hauppauge device driver is loaded correctly and after i downgraded to 3.0.5.23 it is working again. but not with 3.0.7.35

- noeggi
Old 08-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Administrator

One other thing I forgot to suggest was to check sage.properties for the mmc/ignore_encoders line -- are your tuners listed there? If so, exit SageTV completely, including stopping the service, remove that line from the properties file & restart.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hmmmm...i just tried to upgrade from 2.2.8 to the new 3.0.7 beta, but everything is ruined. I can't get either the service nor sagetv or the client running. The service can't be started. It stops after a few seconds. I now installed in the old sagetv directory, but it didn't work, also not whn copying back the old 2.2.8 properties and wiz file.
Then i removed all and tried a new install, also no go......

I have included the error file posted in the sage directory. Does anybody know what is going wrong?

[Edit: Once again, please do not post debug logs on the forum; save them for technical support to go along with a bug report. - Opus4]
XP Pro SP2, SageTV v5.02.90, Athlon XP 3000+ (FSB 333 MHz), 2GB DDR RAM PC3200, 36 GB Western Digital Raptor, 200 GB Western Digital harddrive, Asus Radeon 9600 XTR, Plextor PX-708 8x DVD-/+RW, Pioneer 120S 48x CD-RW, PVR 150 MCE (2). Hauppauge MVP.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:19 PM
Administrator

What happens if you disable service mode & try running SageTV? When you removed all & tried a new install, did you get rid of the old properties files or keep them? If you kept them, try removing them.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyJohnson
An example would be KSNW-DT which is channel 3.1 and is located on RF 45. Does Sage current even recognize 3.1? When I have tried to remap these channels Sage seems to loose the channel totally.
I don't know if you tried it, but the xx.y does seem to work. But it looks like Sage uses RF channel and "real" subchannel, not the virtual channel/sub. For example I've got fox on RF 27 with the HD sub as 4 and the SD sub as 3, however the virtual channel is 28.1 (HD) and 28.2 (SD). So what I did, was went to remap, put in 27.4, and it seems that Sage now tunes the HD subchannel (ie virtual channel 28.1) where it was picking the SD one before.

For you (assuming "normal" PSIP data) you would probably want to remap to 45.1. Of course you might want to fire up TSReader and see what the actual subchannels are.

If you've got graphedit you can capture by building this graph (for my A180, a Fusion should be similar):
ATSC Network Provider -> AVer...Tuner -> Aver...Digital Capture -> Dump
Old 08-17-2005, 09:44 PM
SageTVaholic

stanger89, I just tried to remap my 11.1 to 48.2

11.1=Physical RF channel/sub channel (also on EPG)
48.2=Physical RF channel/sub channel (not on EPG but tuner can tune in just fine using different software)

These two channels have identical programming, but 48.2 has much better signal strength.

When I remap 11.1 to 48.2, it acts like its the wrong channel (black screen/no sound)

Any ideas? How sure are you that what you're doing actually works the way you say it does?

PS: Both 11.1 and 48.2 are the actual channels/sub-channels, NOT virtual PSIP channels.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Andy

At one point i did a completely new install. So i deleted everything (i do keep a back-up in another location), including all directory structures that stayed behind after the uninstall. The new install was used with it's own property files, so nothing was copied back. Still the service wasn't starting. When trying Sagetv itself, i get the splash screen, but after a while this i gone, but there is no trace of Sagetv anymore. When sagetv wouldn't start either i looked at the service control and saw that it says 'service starting..'. I have waited for an hour to see if it finally starts if you give it time, but it didn't. During this phase i can't press the 'disable service' button. The controls don't react to button presses while it is in 'service starting' mode.
I am at a complete loss as to what to do next. A clean install was my last straw, so when nothing works, i would do a clean install. However, this obviously doesn't work anymore.
In these logs is see a lot of 'java' terms coming by. I have version 1.42.6, is that still ok, or do i need another?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
What happens if you disable service mode & try running SageTV? When you removed all & tried a new install, did you get rid of the old properties files or keep them? If you kept them, try removing them.

- Andy
XP Pro SP2, SageTV v5.02.90, Athlon XP 3000+ (FSB 333 MHz), 2GB DDR RAM PC3200, 36 GB Western Digital Raptor, 200 GB Western Digital harddrive, Asus Radeon 9600 XTR, Plextor PX-708 8x DVD-/+RW, Pioneer 120S 48x CD-RW, PVR 150 MCE (2). Hauppauge MVP.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:16 AM
Administrator

I don't know the exact version of java that is required (other than v1.4...), but I'm still running "v1.4.2_07". (Now that I think about it, I'm not even certain which version comes with the SageTV installer!) You could always try installing a newer version, and making sure that only 1 version is installed. Or, uninstall your current java version & see what the SageTV installer includes.

Contact tech support -- not loading at all seems like it should sound familiar, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

Oh yeah -- after killing the service in task manager, you should be able to disable service mode using SageTVServiceControl.exe. I'm not sure if I understood correctly, but it sounds like service mode was still enabled when you ran SageTV by itself. If it was, then running SageTV.exe would still cause the service to try to start, so you may not have actually tried it in non-service mode yet.

- Andy
Old 08-18-2005, 01:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Cool, all things for me to try tonight.
However, what might be a reason for the service not being able to start? When using 2.2.8 the service ran absolutely fine. Are there any special considerations before doing a clean install? I mean, should i follow a certain workflow by first deleting registry entries or what not? I mean, normally a clean install of 2.2.8 shoudl work fine right? I did so before, so why not now? Something must be off.

Cheers,
Henk99

Quote:
I don't know the exact version of java that is required (other than v1.4...), but I'm still running "v1.4.2_07". (Now that I think about it, I'm not even certain which version comes with the SageTV installer!) You could always try installing a newer version, and making sure that only 1 version is installed. Or, uninstall your current java version & see what the SageTV installer includes.

Contact tech support -- not loading at all seems like it should sound familiar, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

Oh yeah -- after killing the service in task manager, you should be able to disable service mode using SageTVServiceControl.exe. I'm not sure if I understood correctly, but it sounds like service mode was still enabled when you ran SageTV by itself. If it was, then running SageTV.exe would still cause the service to try to start, so you may not have actually tried it in non-service mode yet.

- Andy
Old 08-18-2005, 02:47 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I don't know the exact version of java that is required (other than v1.4...), but I'm still running "v1.4.2_07".
The latest Java download from Java.com is 1.5_...x and works well for me in SageTV Client/Server 3.0.7beta.
The newest v7 release of SageTV, now a free upgrade for existing owners of SageTV, is a dream come true for any TV enthusiast. Combine it with Play-On for Netflix and Hulu (among others) and no stone has been left unturned. SageTV is TV done right!
-- Snoopy
Old 08-18-2005, 03:31 AM
SageTVaholic

A couple of comments on service mode: SageTVService cannot be killed by task manager, and it is configured in the registry, so even with clean properties, the service config will be the same as last time.

For a more advanced configuration of the service, Right click My Computer / Manage / Services and Apps / Services / SageTV. you can also disable the service there.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Nielm

Thanks for these comments. If i want to do a really, really clean install.....this must be done first right?
The service must be stopped, then sagetv uninstalled, then any directory remains deleted, reboot and then install? Does that sound correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
A couple of comments on service mode: SageTVService cannot be killed by task manager, and it is configured in the registry, so even with clean properties, the service config will be the same as last time.

For a more advanced configuration of the service, Right click My Computer / Manage / Services and Apps / Services / SageTV. you can also disable the service there.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

probably a good idea for me to install that one as well. I have 1.42_6 now, i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
The latest Java download from Java.com is 1.5_...x and works well for me in SageTV Client/Server 3.0.7beta.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:06 AM
Sage User

Quote:
One other thing I forgot to suggest was to check sage.properties for the mmc/ignore_encoders line -- are your tuners listed there? If so, exit SageTV completely, including stopping the service, remove that line from the properties file & restart.

- Andy
no, there were no entries for my PVR cards there.
finally i made a complete reinstall of the whole machine (OS and application). now the hauppauge tuners are working again. but as before, i am not able to get some epg data from tvtv.
is it possible that the tvtv service cannot be configured from the sagetv client? my sagetv server is "headless" and over remote desktop function it is not possible to run the sagetv gui (gui starts with "insufficient color deep" [setting is 16bits] and the gui remains black)

- noeggi
Old 08-18-2005, 05:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

Aaaaaaaaaagh!

I can't install SageTV anymore! First i have cleaned everything up. Stopped the service, removed it form the list of services that must be started. Removed Sagetv, checked if all remains were gone. Removed my old java and installed the latest 1.5.0. version. Did reboots between all steps. I also removed all instances of SageTv and Frey Technologies from the registry.
So, system is all cleaned up. Started install of 3.0.7 and let it install in its default directory. After install i checked the status of the service and found it to be NOT running. Also it was diabled. I then started SageTV, but the exact same thing happened. I see the splash screen and it loads a couple of things, but then it disappears and there is no trace of SageTV anymore!

I need help bad guys, i'm missing a whole bunch of recordings and i have no things to try anymore. What can be causing this problem?

henk99
Old 08-18-2005, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roedel
is it possible that the tvtv service cannot be configured from the sagetv client?
That's always a possibility, but it would be a bug if true.

---

henk99: check for a forum PM in a minute.

- Andy
Old 08-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by henk99
cleaner install.... "I then started SageTV, but the exact same thing happened. I see the splash screen and it loads a couple of things, but then it disappears and there is no trace of SageTV anymore!

I need help bad guys, i'm missing a whole bunch of recordings and i have no things to try anymore. What can be causing this problem?"
henk99
I might suggest reinstalling Windows at this point from scratch. It sounds like there might be something else going on. I'm not sure. Feel free to instant message me if you would like some help getting a good up-to-date windows install.
The newest v7 release of SageTV, now a free upgrade for existing owners of SageTV, is a dream come true for any TV enthusiast. Combine it with Play-On for Netflix and Hulu (among others) and no stone has been left unturned. SageTV is TV done right!
-- Snoopy
Old 08-18-2005, 02:36 PM
Administrator

For anyone following this: we solved the problem that henk99 was running into. It turns out that it was choking on a couple devices & adding them to the mmc/ignore_encoders property line allowed SageTV to continue. I'm sure it will be bugged for follow-up.

- Andy
Old 08-18-2005, 03:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet
stanger89, I just tried to remap my 11.1 to 48.2

11.1=Physical RF channel/sub channel (also on EPG)
48.2=Physical RF channel/sub channel (not on EPG but tuner can tune in just fine using different software)

These two channels have identical programming, but 48.2 has much better signal strength.

When I remap 11.1 to 48.2, it acts like its the wrong channel (black screen/no sound)

Any ideas? How sure are you that what you're doing actually works the way you say it does?

PS: Both 11.1 and 48.2 are the actual channels/sub-channels, NOT virtual PSIP channels.
Not sure, I just tried remapping 27.4 to 51.3 (both are valid channels) and yes, it appeared to work fine. You might want to check in TSReader or graphedit to see if those are the right subs.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Indeed...nice work Andy!

My graphics card (Asus Radeon 9600) is equiped with a video-in connection. From the error file it appears to choke on that.
I have the service and the MVP client running again. So far without problems.

Cheers,

Henk99

Quote:
For anyone following this: we solved the problem that henk99 was running into. It turns out that it was choking on a couple devices & adding them to the mmc/ignore_encoders property line allowed SageTV to continue. I'm sure it will be bugged for follow-up.

- Andy