SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 09-22-2005, 07:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Sage v3 supports software encoders. Of course it's still new so there are a few bugs and support is limited at the moment. A new beta is due out very soon. Your best bet might be to just wait a little while longer and see how the next release pans out.

The QAM capable cards only work with their own software. Last I heard no other apps are able to use the QAM ability of the capture cards. The only option for cable is to go with firewire using a STB.

Last edited by blade; 09-22-2005 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Sage Fanatic

I'm hoping they improve TS support with regards to firewire, it's so close you can taste it and would make firewire recording much easier.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
Last I heard no other apps are able to use the QAM ability of the capture cards. The only option for cable is to go with firewire using a STB.
So basically your STB outputs firewire into a firewire capable HDTV card (for bandwidth purposes) and you allow the STB to do the tuning/decoding...much like a PVR250 with svideo in from a STB??

thx
Old 09-22-2005, 10:20 AM
Sage User

The STB outputs firewire into a Firewire input on your PC (either on the MB or an add-in card). There are special drivers needed (see the hardware section of the forum for details). Using the Firewire method, no HDTV/capture card is required. There are only a couple of problems at the moment:

1) Many people are finding that there are still some glitches with the current firewire/STB method

2) more and more cable companies are enabling 5C encryption - those channels with 5C turned on cannot be captured.

Darryl
Old 09-22-2005, 10:24 AM
Sage Fanatic

Darryl is right on the money...

and you can tune your STB over the firewire so no need for a IR blaster
Old 09-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah! Firewire is still of great value even if you don't use it to pull video data over the network- as mentioned above if properly supported, it lets you chance channels far more reliably than an IR blaster. I'm just hoping that 1394-based channel changing is made availiable soon.

HTPC/Server: A8 3850; Win 7 Home x86 + Java 1.6.0_26; Sage 7.1.9; Driving Epson 8500 pj @ 1080p | Office: Core2Duo E8500 w/ EFI-X running OS X 10.5 & Win 7 Pro x64 (dual boot) + Java 1.6.0_20; Sage 7.0.23; Driving 30" Samsung 1900x1200 monitor
Old 09-22-2005, 11:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

anyone know which motorola boxes have firewire out? 6200 6208 6214??

thx
Old 09-22-2005, 11:54 AM
Sage Icon

All 3 have Firewire out.

I had all 3 at one time or another via comcast cable
Old 09-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halstead
Yeah! Firewire is still of great value even if you don't use it to pull video data over the network- as mentioned above if properly supported, it lets you chance channels far more reliably than an IR blaster. I'm just hoping that 1394-based channel changing is made availiable soon.
you can do it already....i posted elsewhere vaguely looking for the answer

apparently there is an ExternalTunerEXE plugin or some such...can't quite remember that allows you to specify a commandline to call when changing channel

so set up that PVR-150/250/500
install just a portion of the package timmmoore put together at green button .com in the firewire thread
install the exetuner plugin thingy, configure

and there you go, for almopst anyone that has firewire they can use that to tune their cable box instead of an IR blaster, it works great on my 6200
Old 09-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

one more question, are all firewire ports enabled OR do some CableCos shut them down, just like they do with the serial ports?
Old 09-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Sage Icon

FCC rule All CableCo's Firewire ports will be enabled