SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Sage Fanatic

MediaMVP Wakeup SageTV Server

Not sure if this is possible or not, but is there any way to have a MediaMVP wakeup a PC from suspend mode? PC is running SageTV.

I am currenly trying out the Suspend/Wakeup SageTV option and it works just fine - SageTV wakes up from suspend mode when it needs to do a recording.

However, it would be nice to have the PC wakeup from suspend mode from the MediaMVP unit.

My motherboard has Wakeup on network traffic. Does the MediaMVP send traffic to the PC when the MVP is used?
Old 02-09-2006, 11:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to MrApollinax Send a message via AIM to MrApollinax
Interesting. My SageTV serveris always running and I never suspend it so I don't have to deal with this particular issue. However from what I've seen the MVP doesn't send a WOL packet or a "magic" packet. Since a power down of the MVP now results in a full boot cycle I don't see how this would be possible seeing that the MVP has no OS at the point of boot. It should be easy enough to test. Connect your MVP directly to the PC and power it down via the remote. Suspend your PC and power the MVP on using the remote. If your PC wakes up then it works.
Router: Dlink DGL-4300

Using Wireshark to Troubleshoot Network Issues with your SageTV Setup
Old 02-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Sage Fanatic

I did not know it had to be a "WOL packet" to wake up the server.

I thought all that was needed was packets going to the server to wake it up with the wake up on LAN activty?

So I was assuming that the MVP would send packets to the server when I used my remote on my MVP and would then cause the server to wake up with the packets going to the server.

Last edited by joe123; 02-15-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to MrApollinax Send a message via AIM to MrApollinax
I think that some BIOS have a wake on PCI activity so that if your NIC card recieves traffic that would consitute PCI activity and ake up your PC. The Magic WOL packet from what i remember is a packet that has a payload of the sending MAC address repeated 16 times in a row. Did you try out the test i told you in my other post?
Router: Dlink DGL-4300

Using Wireshark to Troubleshoot Network Issues with your SageTV Setup
Old 02-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrApollinax
I think that some BIOS have a wake on PCI activity so that if your NIC card recieves traffic that would consitute PCI activity and ake up your PC. The Magic WOL packet from what i remember is a packet that has a payload of the sending MAC address repeated 16 times in a row. Did you try out the test i told you in my other post?
Yes, I tried the test, but it is not waking up the server.

My motherboard has built in ethernet, so I don't have a PCI card for network.

I have noticed that while I am using my MVP, the server does not go to sleep. So now I am wondering if having a PCI card for network and setting up BIOS to wake up on PCI activity will wake up the server?

In theory, the MVP (after it has booted) already has it's IP address and knows of the IP address of the server, so as long as the MVP is not powered down, I would think that using the remote control on the MVP would cause packets to go to the server, no?

Last edited by joe123; 02-13-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

Ok, I found the answer on how to make your MediaMVP wake up your SageTV server from stand by mode.

This is possible if your ethernet driver support it. For Windows XP, do:

My Computer -> Properties -> Device Manager -> Network Adapters

Select your particular network device and then select the "Power Management" tab.

In that tab, select "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" and hit Ok.

Now, this works once your MediaMVP has booted up and has the SageTV ip address. When your SageTV goes into S3 Stand by mode, any network activity sent from your MediaMVP to your SageTV server which is in standby mode will MAKE it Wake up.

Nice feature to have.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

This thread is a bit old but I'll post my solution to this problem here anyway, since it fits.. Now I have my server set to wake on directed packets, like joe here was saying, and it still doesn't wake up from the MVP turning on.. Mabye he's got a different model? What I did is, I have a linux box acting as my router, and I set up an xinetd listener to listen for the broadcast UDP packets on port 31100 that come out of the MVP when it is turned on.. Then xinetd simply runs a script to send a wake up to the server.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Aloha,
I have a similar solution. My router (fritz!box) is running linux. I setup a script that pings my MVPs every minute. If one is reachable the server is woken with a wol magic packet.

Marneb17