SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Sage User

Narflex

I was able to get the video to work.
The system I was using for the client is an Intel D945GTP with onboard video.
While it had 32Mb of video memory the settings were for 16bit color. When I changed it to 32bit color, the video started coming thru.
Not sure why that was a problem, but it fixed it.

I did notice that the system went into, stutter mode, when I tried to fast forward the recordings.
nVidia FX5200, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1Gb DDR 400, Windows XP Pro, PVR-150MCE. 160GB IDE, DL DVD +-RW, Snapstream, Girder 4.0.1, USB-UIRT, CrystalFonz 631 LCD
Toys:
MediaMVP, Roku 1000, SA HD PVR, ReplayTV, MediaServer (1Tb SATA drives), Gigabit Switch
Old 02-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Does that mean we may be able to use the MVP box as a placeshifting client in the future?
I love this idea. How cool would this be?
Old 02-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsm
Is it just me or does it seem stupid to have the Placeshifter use the MVP license? If you are going to run it on a laptop or a computer, you most likely already have a client license.

-Matthew
I think the idea is, that the client license would be on the client (where as the MVP license would be on the server). If you are trying to access the server from say, 2 or 3 locations, having the license on the server would make more sense.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Is it just me or does it seem stupid to have the Placeshifter use the MVP license? If you are going to run it on a laptop or a computer, you most likely already have a client license.

-Matthew
Yeah. so what am I to do with my client license? I went with an MVP and I have a extra client license. Is it wasted now or what?
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 02-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'd like to be able to use the client license I already have for place shifting.

I'd never use them both, placeshifter or client, at the same time anyway.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
I think the idea is, that the client license would be on the client (where as the MVP license would be on the server). If you are trying to access the server from say, 2 or 3 locations, having the license on the server would make more sense.
There have been a few old threads requesting that the normal SageTV client licenses reside on the server also, just like how the MVP Extender licenses are setup now. I think now is the time for SageTV LLC to change the SageTV Client licensing to reside on the server also, and just add the Locator ID to connect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavis
I have the new beta installed and can connect using the placeshifter software across a lan but across the internet, although the server is found, I get a please wait message for about 30 minutes and counting. Is this normal? How can if speed this up?
I'm in the same boat as you. It connected fine from LAN at home last night. Now I'm trying to connect from work and it is stuck at "Please Wait ..." I disabled my firewall just to eliminate that factor and my router has port forwarded 31099 to the server computer, but its still stuck at "Please Wait..." I just set it up to connect via IP address. Is there anything else we are missing here?

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

I fully agree, I'm a little peeved that mvp people get placeshifting free, but as a client user, I can't use my client licence in the same manner. I didn't realize that mvp licences were differently controlled (concurrent). That's pretty lame; I will not be spending $30 to get placeshifting unless I decide to buy an mvp, which is unlikely. Boo again. CLIENTS SHOULD BE LICENCED THE SAME.

IMHO, placeshifting should be built into the server no charge. I think adding it to the server would increase sales for sage, and make current users happier. I don't know what the competition offers exactly, but beyondtv has showsqueeze.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:04 PM
SageTVaholic

mayamaniac, ldavis: does your work give you direct access to the internet?

Try to telnet to your IP address with port 31099, and see if you get a successful connection:
start->run
cmd <enter>
telnet <Sage Server IP> 31099

If it is successful, you should get a blank screen, and typing anything triggers a disconnect.
If it is not successful, you should get an error: timeout (home or work firewall probs), or connection refused (server not running).
Old 02-21-2006, 05:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
mayamaniac, ldavis: does your work give you direct access to the internet?
If it is successful, you should get a blank screen, and typing anything triggers a disconnect.
If it is not successful, you should get an error: timeout (home or work firewall probs), or connection refused (server not running).
Just tried it and it worked like you described. I got a blank screen then it returned to normal command prompt when I press any key, no timeout errors. So what does this prove, that there is no connection issue on that port? If yes, what could be the problem then?

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:31 PM
SageTVaholic

yes, it proves that there is no simple connection issue on that port... Guess you will have to look for more complex reasons

Sorry can't help much further (we have a 100% outbound blocking firewall at my work, so placeshifting is no go for me!)
Old 02-21-2006, 06:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
I'd like to be able to use the client license I already have for place shifting.

I'd never use them both, placeshifter or client, at the same time anyway.
That pretty much sums it up....

-Matthew
Old 02-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
It says my placeshifter trail period has expired. What is up with that? Can you elaborate on how to get a trial for the placeshifting going?

-Matthew
I don't see "Trial period expired" exactly, but I do see that I am in a 7 day trial period when my MVP boots up even though I have a valid Media Extender license. I have one license and no other clients are running, so I wouldn't expect to get the trial message. Any thoughts on this?

I see the same behavior if I use the placeshifter. It tells me that I am in a trial period, even though no other clients are running.

I also see the placeshifter problem that others have encountered. The placeshifter works fine locally, but neither my wife nor I have access from the office. I performed the telnet test that nielm offered (telnet to port 31099) and I connected with no problem, so I know that my local firewall is not the issue. I don't think my corporate firewall is the issue, either, since I have coworkers that use things like the Slingbox client with no problems. Although, I'm not an expert, so I could be mistaken. Anyway, when I try to connect from work, I am stuck on the "Please Wait" screen.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am stuck at the Please wait... when trying the internet option.

Works on Local LAN. Even try setting to ip address.

I noticed that if you check the box close when disconnected that the program closes when trying the internet option.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 02-21-2006, 07:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

UDP-TCP

My firewall configuration needs to know if it is UDP or TCP. I set it to TCP because the Telnet default settings use TCP.

As soon as the Olympics are over I will be trying it out.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Sage

EDIT: We found the problem with the 'Please Wait ' screen. It's when you're using Java 1.4 instead of Java 1.5. We'll fix the issue in the Placeshifter so it does not require Java 1.5 (it was for some encryption stuff).
Old 02-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well for me, the placeshifting will have to wait - this beta is completely unusable.

There's severe stuttering on my main Sage box, which was working perfectly till I installed this beta this morning. I'm downgrading so I can watch TV again.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:01 PM
SageTVaholic

I've been playing around with the streaming settings for placeshifting. It seems as though I can run it without transcoding, or I can run it at 300kps or higher. But, if I set it any lower, when I try to play a video, nothing happens. There's a short CPU spike on the server, then a long period of nothing, then a short CPU spike on the server again at the same time I get a playback exception on the placeshifter client.

Is anyone else having this problem?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm afraid to say that HDTV support is pretty broken in this release. I set up a recording tonight, and tried to watch it about an hour into the recording. I received an error decoding the video portion with error number -4,0x80004005. Video decoding worked for SDTV (whose EPG data mysteriously disappeared, but later found out that my dorm TV provider changed the name on zap2it's website).

I'm actually pretty dissapointed with this release, because it has actually crashed hard on me several times today. I generally don't like to complain and moan, but this one really got to me. To make matters worse, the stuttering still continues. LOL. My incoming signal is excellent, since it works with Avermedia's software.

I'd gladly pay for an upgrade to at least make sure HDTV works without crashing or stuttering.

</rant>
Old 02-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet
I don't see "Trial period expired" exactly, but I do see that I am in a 7 day trial period when my MVP boots up even though I have a valid Media Extender license. I have one license and no other clients are running, so I wouldn't expect to get the trial message. Any thoughts on this?

I see the same behavior if I use the placeshifter. It tells me that I am in a trial period, even though no other clients are running.
Well, I sort of found a way to reproduce this issue.

If I begin by using the MVP and then pull the plug on the MVP to turn it off, then try to use Placeshifter, I get the Trial Period message on the Placeshifter client.

If I begin by using the MVP and then use the power button to turn off the MVP, then try to use Placeshifter, everything works fine.

I can't figure out how I got it into a state where both the MVP and the Placeshifter were showing the trial period message, though.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the release. I am excited about the changes and it looks like you guys have been busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex

29. Fix:1:54:33 bug
29. I assume the same fix did not apply to the 1:26:44 bug. I just hit it watching American Idol in HD tonight. Brought the WAF WAY down after a flawless recording otherwise.

Thanks for the hard work.

B

EDIT: Removed lame question afterI re-read release notes.

Last edited by bcjenkins; 02-21-2006 at 09:09 PM.