SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to chrysek Send a message via Yahoo to chrysek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
Its not a separate license. The same license allows you to use one MVP or one placeshifter client at a time.
yes but if you have already 1 cleint license why do you need to get that MVP one? sucks, I just spent my $30 and it does not work, I have black screen all the time on my screen with audio and that is it... I am very disapointed....
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB, D.VINE 4 w/VFD display Case, GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE Chipset Motherboard, Dual DDR 400 1024mb RAM (2x512mb), Windows XP Pro SP2 + SageTV 4.1.12 + Java j2re-1.5._02, ATI 9600 128mb DVI out, 200gb OS Drive, 2x160gb EIDE and 7x400gb SATA Video storage hard drives, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Time Warner HD Digital Cable Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Dish Network Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-350 to Time Warner Cable redy input, ATI HDTV card, USB-UIRT w/Hauppauge remote.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysek
yes but if you have already 1 cleint license why do you need to get that MVP one? sucks, I just spent my $30 and it does not work, I have black screen all the time on my screen with audio and that is it... I am very disapointed....
This is just my opinion as a former MVP owner, but basically an MVP is garbage regardless of whose client you use on it. I had one but I gave it away free to someone on another forum who thought he wanted one. The *sole* saving grace of an MVP is the pristine picture quality.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Which license then?

The timing of this couldn't be worse for me. I just finished my trial of the Client license. I loved the results! I used my laptop with VGA output to my new LCD HDTV, receiving video over wireless 802.11g from my server upstairs. Finally, awesome playback of Sage recordings, where it belongs...the living room! I was just about to purchase the client when I noticed the placeshifting beta.

Now what? It sounds like placeshifting will do almost everything the Client does and more for the same price. Yet, it doesn't sound stable enough yet to give me the same experience as the Client did. It sounds like the interface is a little different too and I would lose MP3 and local DVD ability. Will I still be able to use STVs on it?

IMHO, the Client and Placeshifter should be one license, allowing one at a time of course, just as the MVP and Placeshifter are now. I don't ever plan on using an MVP, BTW (no HDTV or digital sound output). I'd like to use the Client program when the laptop is at home, in my living room, and the placeshifter when I'm traveling.

While this is being resolved, I'm stuck with no license, and thus, no Sage in my living room. Would someone from Sage please comment on this? Can I purchase a Client license now and have Placeshifting included down the road or not? If not, tell me now and I will purchase the MVP license instead.

P.S. Can I still get a Placeshifter (MVP) trial even though my Client trial just ran out? How would I go about this?
Old 03-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgorrell
The timing of this couldn't be worse for me. I just finished my trial of the Client license. I loved the results! I used my laptop with VGA output to my new LCD HDTV, receiving video over wireless 802.11g from my server upstairs. Finally, awesome playback of Sage recordings, where it belongs...the living room! I was just about to purchase the client when I noticed the placeshifting beta.

Now what? It sounds like placeshifting will do almost everything the Client does and more for the same price. Yet, it doesn't sound stable enough yet to give me the same experience as the Client did. It sounds like the interface is a little different too and I would lose MP3 and local DVD ability. Will I still be able to use STVs on it?

IMHO, the Client and Placeshifter should be one license, allowing one at a time of course, just as the MVP and Placeshifter are now. I don't ever plan on using an MVP, BTW (no HDTV or digital sound output). I'd like to use the Client program when the laptop is at home, in my living room, and the placeshifter when I'm traveling.

While this is being resolved, I'm stuck with no license, and thus, no Sage in my living room. Would someone from Sage please comment on this? Can I purchase a Client license now and have Placeshifting included down the road or not? If not, tell me now and I will purchase the MVP license instead.

P.S. Can I still get a Placeshifter (MVP) trial even though my Client trial just ran out? How would I go about this?
Right now you can not even run the Placeshifter in full screen mode. So basically the client is what you want to be using. Maybe you can use the placeshifting from somewhere else. But client is what you want to use.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:04 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
P.S. Can I still get a Placeshifter (MVP) trial even though my Client trial just ran out?
Yes, the licences are completely separate. Your MVP/Placeshifter licence starts when you enable the feature in the setup on the server. Then you have two weeks IIRC. Even at full stream on the local network, Client is still far more useable than Placeshifter though, and Placeshifter does slap "TRIAL" on your screen in various positions for the two weeks. I presume this is just Sage trying to beat the crackers. Currently I'd advise you to get both, if you've got the money...

I don't mind the licences being separate, but I'd also vote for the Client licence to be server-based on a concurrent-use basis.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It sounds like placeshifting will do almost everything the Client does and more for the same price.
Placeshifter is a actually a cut-down client. It (currently) cannot do fullscreen, it cannot do VMR9, it may not be able to do advanced things like codec selection and so may not be able to make use of video cards accelleration features (such as Nvidia's hardware deinterlacing), and because of this several setup options are disabled.

For what you want: running Sage on a TV on that same LAN as the server which would serve as a primary playback device and would be neary always running... I would recommend a full client licence.

For occasional use on various machines on a LAN, I would recommend a placeshifter licence (as it is a 'floating licence').

Last edited by nielm; 03-13-2006 at 04:02 AM.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
Placeshifter is a actually a cut-down client. It (currently) cannot do fullscreen, it cannot do VMR9, it may not be able to do advanced things like codec selection and so may not be able to make use of video cards accelleration features (such as Nvidia's hardware deinterlacing), and because of this several setup options are disabled.
Okay, this answers my question. I definitely need the Client functionality.

I agree with the many others here who have stated that the Client license should be server based. Then, the placeshifter should be usable on the same license as long as Client is not running at the same time.

MVP users were no different than Client users in terms of functionality before, and paid the same price for it. Why should they be the only ones to get "free" placeshifting now?

Hopefully this is just a technicality of the licensing method and Sage will address this limitation soon.

Thanks to all who replied.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
mayamaniac, ldavis: does your work give you direct access to the internet?

Try to telnet to your IP address with port 31099, and see if you get a successful connection:
start->run
cmd <enter>
telnet <Sage Server IP> 31099

If it is successful, you should get a blank screen, and typing anything triggers a disconnect.
If it is not successful, you should get an error: timeout (home or work firewall probs), or connection refused (server not running).
Nielm, I tried this and get connection failed error. So I tried the same trick with port 8080 and I get the same connection error. The webserver works fine using port 8080. Am I missing something here?