SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanzee
So if I re-import this new one will it overwrite the old imported version?
So I answered my own question here, no, it won't overwrite the old version at least it wont for me. I went back to the default sagetv3.xml and imported it again.

Another problem I have, related to the import not wanting to tune channels quickly, as I mentioned above. I notice 100% cpu utilization when listening to the radio. That's not good.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Sage User

craigdthom: I don't have an MVP or a placeshifter (nor do I have a need for either in my setup), so I don't know if it will work with either. If you want to give it a try and report on how it works, or give details on what doesn't work and how it misbehaves, I'll try and make it compatible.

humanzee: You should be able to re-import the STVi. I have tried it on my system and it appears to work correctly. As for the Hauppauge 45 button remote, I gave up on mine (and the PVR-150 that has the IR hardware) a long time ago and moved to the Hauppauge MCE remote with a PVR-150MCE... so no radio button for me. But... adding a listener for the ctrl-shift-r should take care of it... I'll add it to a future version and you can let me know if it works. Adding a direct frequency input will be a little more difficult... I need to free up some screen real estate but it is on the to-do list.
About the presets problem... how did you restart the computer? did you hit hit reset button or did you shut down SageTV and do a proper shutdown?
About the tuning problem... Are you using the plugin on a server or a client? What is reported as the Band and Spacing? Is the channel it tunes to when you do channel up or channel down at the beginning or end of the Band? Go to the options menu and select "Show RAW channel frequency", then tune up or down. Does the RAW display a string of 8 or 9 numbers or a string of 15 or 16 numbers?

mike_15: I have run into this problem before... with all STVs, including the unmodified SageTV STV. I found a thread on the forums that indicated that it was due to lack of memory available to the DirectX9 system. A complete restart of your computer should solve this problem as it did for me.

Dekard: Umm... I'm confused... You had stated in an earlier post that "the plugin" (yes... i'm refering to both the STV and the STVi as the plugin) at v0.04 worked for you and that it didn't work for you at v0.06 (or above)... was this on a different machine?
The Linux drivers for the Hauppauge cards do support FM Radio. However, if the tuners do not appear in the list of song titles, then something in the Linux version of SageTV is filtering out the FM inputs of the card. Yes, please ask Tech Support about it. That way we can get a definitive answer. Please let us know what their response it.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrmage
Umm... I'm confused... You had stated in an earlier post that "the plugin" (yes... i'm refering to both the STV and the STVi as the plugin) at v0.04 worked for you and that it didn't work for you at v0.06 (or above)... was this on a different machine?
The Linux drivers for the Hauppauge cards do support FM Radio. However, if the tuners do not appear in the list of song titles, then something in the Linux version of SageTV is filtering out the FM inputs of the card. Yes, please ask Tech Support about it. That way we can get a definitive answer. Please let us know what their response it.
Don't feel bad, I'm confused too.. makes me wonder if it was a figment of my imagination.... I'll let you know what I get from them.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
humanzee: You should be able to re-import the STVi. I have tried it on my system and it appears to work correctly.
When I tried it it said version 07 still.
Quote:
As for the Hauppauge 45 button remote, I gave up on mine (and the PVR-150 that has the IR hardware) a long time ago and moved to the Hauppauge MCE remote with a PVR-150MCE... so no radio button for me. But... adding a listener for the ctrl-shift-r should take care of it... I'll add it to a future version and you can let me know if it works.
the 45 button irremote.ini defaults to RADIO={ctrl}{shift}r so that should work
Quote:
Adding a direct frequency input will be a little more difficult... I need to free up some screen real estate but it is on the to-do list.
Would make it a little easier to tune, keep it in your plans
Quote:
About the presets problem... how did you restart the computer? did you hit hit reset button or did you shut down SageTV and do a proper shutdown?
I closed sage from windowed mode, and then restarted the PC from the start menu.
Quote:
About the tuning problem... Are you using the plugin on a server or a client?
I only have the one HTPC so I guess it would be the server, though the server features are not enabled
Quote:
What is reported as the Band and Spacing? Is the channel it tunes to when you do channel up or channel down at the beginning or end of the Band?
Begining, and is tuning with a spacing of .1Mhz. Well that was part of the problem. It was working perfectly in the afternoon but then wouldn't let me tune in the evening or this afternoon for a bit. I would click the channel up or down on and it would audibley change the tuning however the visual representation would not change on the screen. I managed to set one preset at 89.5 then when I hit channel down it would presumably tune down to 89.3 however the screen would still say 89.5. Today, I noticed that this response seems to be directly related to cpu usage. I have had it spike to 100% and become unrespnsive about 50% of the times I have loaded the feature. It is working at the moment with 5% cpu usage and seems to be tuning fine. Ill have to watch it.
Quote:
Go to the options menu and select "Show RAW channel frequency", then tune up or down. Does the RAW display a string of 8 or 9 numbers or a string of 15 or 16 numbers?
It shows 8 numbers.

Improvements: can you make the presets one click to tune, and right click to adjust the settings for (or an etirely seperate window). After they are set, I doubt I will need to change them very frequently.

Bug: maybe: Doesn't seem to play nice with Neilm's info popup plug in. I use it for caller ID I just got a call and it stopped the music, however, it didn't resume after the popup time out. Of course I can't reproduce that either. I think my modem is bad.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Sage User

Crap... I hate when that happens (there are two new posts to the thread while i'm typing a reply) 8-}

mike_15:

humanzee: The importer *SHOULD* delete the old menu before linking in the new menu... I've been using neilm's excelent toolkit for making the STVi... I will verify that it is working for the next release.
I have not noticed any problems with CPU usage while developing... I'm using standard calls to the MediaPlayer API, MediaFile API and Captur Device APi. I have seen reports in other threads of people having the same problem after an upgrade to V5... Could his issue be related to that rather than the plugin? What is the CPU usage like when you watch LiveTV? (The WatchLive() API is used to start the FM Radio.... If it is causing a CPU spike, then it should be evident when watching LiveTV). How old are the drivers for your PVR-350? I vaguely remember problems with FM and Hauppauge drivers, but I can't remember when, or if, Hauppauge had resolved the issues. As for speed of channel changing... Once the tuner is started, channel changes should be relatively fast... On a client, each channel change has to be performed twice. Doing a single channel change API call does not work, the second call does.

Dekard: Oops... my fault... I just looked over the changes between v0.04 and v0.06... with v0.04, if it's the first time you have used the STV, it sets the tuner to "Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II Capture FM Radio" (hardcoded... a holdover from the first version). On a WinXP system, if you select an capture card input that does not exist, it throws an error. Apparently, on Linux it does not... but being a non-existant input, the Hauppauge cards will default to the TV Tuner input... you won't be hearing FM Radio.. you would have heard TV Audio from the last channel you had tuned. Starting with v0.05, I added additional code to detect a non-functional tuner (for example, a network encoder that isn't running), which now tests the existance of the tuner before starting to use the tuner.
Sorry for the inconvenience!! However, I am still interested in the response from Tech Support regarding the FM input... If they decide to unmask the input, it should work.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
humanzee: The importer *SHOULD* delete the old menu before linking in the new menu... I've been using neilm's excelent toolkit for making the STVi... I will verify that it is working for the next release.
no worries, I have now made the FM Radio plug in the last of my imports so I should only have to go back one stv and re-import it so its shouldn't be a big deal
Quote:
I have not noticed any problems with CPU usage while developing... I'm using standard calls to the MediaPlayer API, MediaFile API and Captur Device APi. I have seen reports in other threads of people having the same problem after an upgrade to V5... Could his issue be related to that rather than the plugin? What is the CPU usage like when you watch LiveTV? (The WatchLive() API is used to start the FM Radio.... If it is causing a CPU spike, then it should be evident when watching LiveTV).
That makes me wonder if it is related to DirectX. I had a bit of a crash yesterday when trying to reload the fm radio plug in after I was gone for a couple of hours. It said something about not being able to render .... DirectX .... check your settings ... I think that is why I rebooted the system. Anyway, I am running in overlay because I have not had a lot of success with VMR9 and 3D accell at my current resolution of 1080p. The problem was that I would peg my CPU when trying to watch HD material. I wonder if my setup just doesn't like direct X? Odd though because it was fine before I got and HDTV and has been fine for some video games.
Quote:
How old are the drivers for your PVR-350? I vaguely remember problems with FM and Hauppauge drivers, but I can't remember when, or if, Hauppauge had resolved the issues.
I was useing the 350 for my TV output up until say November of 2005 so I was up on all the drivers then. I don't think there have been any new onces since, but I could be wrong
Quote:
As for speed of channel changing... Once the tuner is started, channel changes should be relatively fast... On a client, each channel change has to be performed twice. Doing a single channel change API call does not work, the second call does.
Again I think this had to do with my cpu usage. I'll play with it some more and see if this is a reaccuring problem or not. I think once I have all my presets configured I wont really care how slow or fast the tuning is.

I just tried it and it sat there thinking about tuning a preset but then stopped and told me the tuner was going to be used for something else. So I guess that part works.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:34 PM
Sage User

humanzee: I found a typo in the importer... it is fixed for the next release.

DirectX may be the problem... I had some issues (with DirectX9c installed) when I first upgraded to V5 (slow menu transitions, OSD remaining on screen after the OSD timeout expired, stuttering) that wasn't present with V4.1.x. I did an "upgrade" to the DitrectX9 April 2006 respin and those problems seem to have disappeared. I still have the cpu peg at 100% every 4 or 5 days (on my server, not my development machine), but i'm not certain that SageTV is responsible for it... it usually peg at 6am.. just after my machine fires up MyTheater to pull PPV EPG data.

The last driver update for the PVR-350 was April 2005... In the world of computer hardware... they've pretty much abandoned it... they just haven't had the decency to stop selling it... but looking at the range of hardware that people reporting cpu spikes are using, I would think that the issue is not related directly to the PVR-350... I was just putting forward some ideas...

If you are having large delays when starting playback of recordings or changing channels or selecting show to record then there are a few things to check. I remember seeing thread that mentioned these symptoms related to a corrupt database, and another relating to having an extremely large number of favorites, and another that relating to having the lookahead for the scheduler set to more than 72 hours.

I'm glad something in this plugin works 8-}

Regards
Old 05-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Sage User

New version available.

humanzee: no luck on the Hauppauge "Radio" button... need to do some more testing... Let me know if you are still having tuning issues with the new version.

Regards
Old 05-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Currently, the Ctrl+Shift+R is not assigned to any command; it is just defined as a keystroke in the ini file so the user can more easliy assign that button to a command, if they want to do that.

To make that button jump to the FM Radio screen, you would have to first choose some command to do that (maybe one of the 5 Custom# commands that isn't already used), then add a listener for that command & have it jump to your menu. The user would then assign whatever they want to that command, as always.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Sage User

Quote:
New version available.

humanzee: no luck on the Hauppauge "Radio" button... need to do some more testing... Let me know if you are still having tuning issues with the new version.

Regards
I just tried version 9 and am having two problems. All the options on the left menu like Exit FM Radio, Presets/Tuners, Options, Mute are all missing. I mean there is no text showing. It highlights the buttons area and you can click on it and they all work, but the whole left menu side is just blank. No text. I didn't have this problem in versions 1-6. I just went back to version 6. I like the one click tuning in 9 though. Good stuff.

Also, the title bar just says FM Radio. The SageTV logo, date/time, and mouse buttons are no longer there in version 9. (EDIT 1: I just re-downloaded it and tried it again and the title bar is fine. My above problems still exist though.)

EDIT 2: I also just noticed that with the import, when I scroll down in the option menu (on the right after clicking "options" on the left menu), the whole menu disappears and I can not get it back. Pushing the up or down scroll buttons then moves the silver highlight bar on the left menu (which has no text ). This has happended each of the three times I have tried importing version 9. When I use the version 9 STV, this problem no longer happens.

Hope you can fix those.... looking forward to version 10!

Last edited by raulinigo; 05-09-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Sage User

raulinigo: I noticed the problems you mentioned. The themes got mixed up in the move to the STV for v5.0.2... I was uploading a fix as you were posting...

I am, so far, unable to duplicate your "Edit 2" problem, or the problem with the left side menu... BTW, there is a new menu option below "Mute" (in case you missed it 8-}). I did find that the themes are messed up on the options menu... that may have something to do with it... I'm working on it now.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Sage User

Quote:
raulinigo: I noticed the problems you mentioned. The themes got mixed up in the move to the STV for v5.0.2... I was uploading a fix as you were posting...

I am, so far, unable to duplicate your "Edit 2" problem, or the problem with the left side menu... BTW, there is a new menu option below "Mute" (in case you missed it 8-}). I did find that the themes are messed up on the options menu... that may have something to do with it... I'm working on it now.
I went ahead and tried version 7 and 8 just to make sure the problem for me wasn't introduced in one of those. They worked fine.

I went back to 9 and the problem comes back.

No text on left menu
No text on left menu
No silver bars in Options Menu
Disappearing Options Menu

I also included a pic of how the options menu no longer highlights things with silver bar.

I wonder why all previous versions work until now? I'm using SageTV 5.0.2.

Last edited by raulinigo; 05-09-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
To make that button jump to the FM Radio screen, you would have to first choose some command to do that (maybe one of the 5 Custom# commands that isn't already used), then add a listener for that command & have it jump to your menu. The user would then assign whatever they want to that command, as always.

- Andy
cybrmage,
I know that custom4 and custom5 are used on my system, can you consider putting in an option in your options page to elect to use any one of the custom# commands? I.e. Load FM Radio when sage detects Custom_ . That way if our stv has a conflict we can configure it ourselves.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Sage User

New version.... bugfix... The themes used in the plugin got messed up in the update to the SaveTV3.xml from SageTV v5.0.2.

raulinigo: thanks for the examples.... appreciate it.

hananzee: I will... as soon as I figure out a reliable way to intercept the custom commands without making a lot of changes throughout the STV. I'm planning on using Custom2 as it does not seem to be widely used.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:09 AM
Sage User

Quote:
New version.... bugfix... The themes used in the plugin got messed up in the update to the SaveTV3.xml from SageTV v5.0.2.

raulinigo: thanks for the examples.... appreciate it.

hananzee: I will... as soon as I figure out a reliable way to intercept the custom commands without making a lot of changes throughout the STV. I'm planning on using Custom2 as it does not seem to be widely used.
The new version fixed the disappearing options and lack of silver bars. Unfortunately I am still missing the left menu text.

It looks like I am the only one. Oh well. I guess I'll have to stick to version 8.

Thanks for trying!
Old 05-10-2006, 01:00 AM
Sage User

raulinigo: hmm... strange indeed... I've tried it with server, client and placeshifter and have been unable to duplicate it... I did make some changes to the left menu (changed the text size to gain some screen real estate)... I'll reverse the changes for the next version (don't need the screen real estate yet) and see if that resolves it.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Cool, I also updated my DirectX to the latest on the microsoft site. Hopefully that will help, but that tuner is in use at the moment so I can't test. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Sage User

Quote:
raulinigo: hmm... strange indeed... I've tried it with server, client and placeshifter and have been unable to duplicate it... I did make some changes to the left menu (changed the text size to gain some screen real estate)... I'll reverse the changes for the next version (don't need the screen real estate yet) and see if that resolves it.
Cool, I'd appreciate it. I'll try anything.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:30 AM
Sage User

New version available... no functional differences... this is a change to the user interface screen and (hopefully) a fix for user interface problems.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:40 AM
Sage User

Quote:
New version available... no functional differences... this is a change to the user interface screen and (hopefully) a fix for user interface problems.
Good news is that it fixed my left menu issues. But is the new version suppose to look like this?

Pic 1
Pic 2

Did you try to add some sort of timeshifting feature? If so, it seems to be a bit quirky.