SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-17-2007, 04:07 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by astribli
Does anyone from Sage view and/or post here?
Yes, sometimes the Sage guys do view/post here, but they aren't doing "offical support" on these forums. The forums are for user-to-user support. If you need offical support, then you need to file a support request with Sage. http://sage.tv/request.html

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Sage Expert

With any given video card, with respect to stutter, is there any reason why connection via component would be better than connecting via DVI (or visa versa)?
Old 01-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

I can't think of any reason why it would make a difference. I'm 95% convinced this stuttering problem is software related as opposed to being a hardware issue. It's a shame too as I have a nice setup to utilize for HD, PC/Sage/etc, and it's basically just collecting dust as the HD playback is unacceptable. Better than it was, but as I've noted before, this is something that has to perfect or it's no good at all.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Actually I find the picture to be much crisper and clearer using DVI as compared with component. Unfortunately, it stutters under either connection type.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:09 PM

On Vista Business RTM, setting it to Fill actually causes SageTV to crash.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Interesting that for some, setting it to FILL makes it better, although on mine it just seems to delay the inevitable cpu surge to 100% (sagetv.exe) then things stutter, menus hang, until if finally locks up. Sounds like Fill does the opposite for you. Then others say 6.018 works fine but 6.019 causes this.

Bottom line is something is different in the code and during some scenarios, causes sage to runaway with the cpu. Hum..
Old 01-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

Later on today I'll set my mode to fill and see if that helps. I'm with the guys who say it's not hardware because other software can play back the HD stuff just fine in the same modes that SageTv chokes on.

I'd personally be happier if support would communicate with us. I've heard absolutely nothing back from them on the stuff I've sent them, even a simple we're working on it would be nice.

As it stands I'm glad to hear they're working with some of you guys, now I just pray they are able to fix it before I get old and gray.

I'll report back on the fill if it fixed my problems or not later on today. I've got to run to the scuba shop and get my tanks filled, if it doesn't get icy on the roads I've got some diving to do...
Old 01-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Sage

We're working on it.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
We're working on it.
Great, and thanks.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

I tested it and to be honest I don't think it made much difference, there may have been a little change but not enough to make me happy for upgrading. IMO that was my single biggest mistake I've made in a long time. V5 was working just fine and based on the track record of the program I felt it was safe to install V6. If I could revert back I would, but there's too much that's been recorded and I don't want to lose my data on it.

Sage should make that data exportable and importable, or at least in some non Sage version specfic file.

I do appreciate the feedback here that it's being worked on, however I am still more than a little hacked off that tech support via email hasn't said squat on it, plus the fact V6 was released with this IMO major bug that more than one of us reported. V6 should have had HD at least as stable as V5 and not like it is currently which takes away my enjoyment of HD.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:01 AM
Sage User

Since many of you appear to be having the same issue in Sage v6 with VMR9 and HD/SD stuttering, I thought I would join in on this. Today I switched from a 7300GS to an ATI x1300 - VMR9 still stutters, but Overlay is finally nice and smooth (HD/SD). I use the Cyberlink MPEG-2 decoder bundled with PowerDVD 7 and ATI Catalyst 7.1 drivers (~19%-20% CPU usage during HD playback @1080i) . With this setup, Overlay and VMR9 appear to be identical in quality so I've lost the will to continue troubleshooting the problem. Have no idea why the nvidia setup was so unreliable - they're comparable video cards. After weeks of trial-and-error, I decided to throw a different manufacturer at the problem. Of course, this doesn't solve the underlying problem whether it be s/w or h/w, but I'm happy now.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Sage User

I'm having stuttering problems too. But my beta V6 was running fine. I'm not sure what happened. I'm about to update to the newest release of version 6.
2.5" SAMSUNG Spinpoint 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, SAMSUNG Spinpoint, Plextor PX-B310SA SW Blu Ray Drive, CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 (PC2 6400), 2 Avermedia AVerTVHD Duet, Logitech diNovo Edge Bluetooth, Netgear WG111 v.2, Terrestrial Digital DB2 Multi-Directional HDTV Antenna
Old 01-21-2007, 08:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
I'm having stuttering problems too. But my beta V6 was running fine. I'm not sure what happened. I'm about to update to the newest release of version 6.
Which version is stuttering for you? You say your beta V6 was running fine.

Most of this thread relates to those that had no problems with V5 and the stuttering began with V6. A previous poster mentioned overlay is fine, however VMR9, FSE and 3D stutters. That's my personal experience. Overlay works great. And CPU utilization is not high at all. Just trying to get to the underlying reason why there's issues with VMR9 and FSE.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Sage

OK, here's another setting to try. Set this registry value to 0 (zero):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\SageTV\DirectX9\CopyVideoTextures

The value should already exist, so you shouldn't need to create it. I've got high hopes for this one so I'm looking forward to the feedback.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

The value should already exist, so you shouldn't need to create it. I've got high hopes for this one so I'm looking forward to the feedback.
I think this registry change is looking really good. I see major improvement. I'm still unable to use the Nvidia "Smart" deinterlacing setting without stutters (this client was able to do so before v6), but when I leave it on "Film", I now have what seems to be mostly stutter-free HDTV (1080i included) playback. That's a big step forward. Thanks, Narflex!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

Looking good on one of my clients, which is a 19" DVI monitor. I have deinterlacing set to automatic. I need to check it on my client with the 55" plasma, which is where I do most of my viewing.

Update
-------
Bad results on my 55" plasma. Still stutters. Overlay is much better than VMR9.

Thanks Narflex for continuing to work on this.

Last edited by Ron; 01-22-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

I tried it and it completely broke VMR9 playback for HD files, but SD still works. I just get a black screen and the OSD is no longer transparent. It looks like it does when using overlay.

Last edited by blade; 01-22-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
I tried it and it completely broke VMR9 playback for HD files, but SD still works. I just get a black screen and the OSD is no longer transparent. It looks like it does when using overlay.
blade, please send in your logfile from that to betatest at sagetv dot com please.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:15 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:

You really should try to come up with these things on Fridays or Saturdays, preferably during football season!

I'll report back Sunday or Monday.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsbst
I think this registry change is looking really good. I see major improvement. I'm still unable to use the Nvidia "Smart" deinterlacing setting without stutters (this client was able to do so before v6), but when I leave it on "Film", I now have what seems to be mostly stutter-free HDTV (1080i included) playback. That's a big step forward. Thanks, Narflex!
Ok, after further review, NVidia's "Film" mode deinterlacing seems to mostly work with my HDTV recordings. There are a few blips, but nothing disastrous.

However, I *think* I am seeing a resurrection of a problem that I originally saw when I had to switch to overlay... and that is that after Sage is put into standby, something crops up in the rendering that causes stutterring. I think I'm now seeing this with VMR9. I'll do some more testing and report back again.