SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

View Poll Results: What is your experience using the Hauppauge HD-PVR?
Using 1 HD-PVR, I have no lockups; recordings always complete successfully 62 27.80%
Using 1 HD-PVR, it stops recording at times 102 45.74%
Using multiple HD-PVRs, I have no lockups 17 7.62%
Using multiple HD-PVRs, the same unit locks at times 8 3.59%
Using multiple HD-PVRs, different units lock at times 33 14.80%
Using 1 or more HD-PVRs, it/they may or may not ever lock, but I don't feel like participating 1 0.45%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddyus View Post
If anyone cares to help me diagnose my problem, I'd appreciate tips on how to setup and retrieve logs.
To enable logging, disable any custom STV's/plugins you are using, close SageTV and the service if running, then open up your Sage.properties (with notepad) file in your Frey Technologies or SageTV folder. Add this line to the properties file: 'debug_logging=TRUE' Without the quotes and the word TRUE must be capitalized. Then run SageTV and recreate the problem. After you recreate it, you can then close SageTV. Now look for this file in your Frey Technologies or SageTV folder: 'sagetv_0.txt'. In Vista the Sage.properties and the log files will be placed in: C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\SageTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddyus View Post
One of my two hd-pvrs (we'll call it HDP1) seems to be the primary culprit, although I'm quite certain the other unit has displayed the same behavior albeit less frequently. I get a black/"no signal" screen occasionally, so I will turn off and then back on HDP1 at which point it will function properly. I do not unplug it or disconnect the USB or anything more dramatic.....Any thoughts here? Has anyone else seen this interaction? Thanks for any help!
I had a similar issue initially. I swapped the USB cables and YPbPr cables between the two units. HDPVR2 became HDPVR1 when I restarted the system and Vice Versa. The new HDPVR1 behaved the way the old HDPVR1 had. It wasn't the units in my case. I think we need NEW DRIVERS!!! from Hauppauge.

I havn't had issues for about a month now because I shut my system down except for about 8 hours daily around prime time. I know some of those who leave their systems on 24/7 still have occasional hang-ups.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 09-21-2008, 11:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to opy01 Send a message via MSN to opy01
I just tried to watch my WinTV-HVR-1600 for the first time since Heros and Lost finished this past sping. All my channels were black (imagine that). Thanks to this post (found after 3 hours of reinstalling) I shut down the computer and then started it up and it works fine now. Odd that I never had this problem before and I have had this card for about 1.5 years or more. How often will this happen on my PC?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

I got my HD-PVR (rev C2) a couple of days ago and it started off as the worst install experience ever - the unit worked once, then gave me the No Signal crap after that. Power cycling, restarting SageTV service, and rebooting the server didn't fix it. I finally went to Device Manager, looked up which internal USB hub the unit was connected to, went to the Power Management tab and unchecked the box to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Haven't had any issues since then.

For the record, I'm using DirecTV's HD21 receiver and forcing it to 720p. I do get the "stop frame animation" problem once in a while, but for now I'm happy it doesn't lockup.

Last edited by kltye; 09-30-2008 at 11:41 AM. Reason: revision C2, not C1!
Old 09-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

klyte - Although your system is working currently, I suggest exchanging your rev C1 for a newr model. They have fixed alot of issues since that one and are glad to upgrade them at the moment. I'd just hate to see you have more issues later and have them not so happy to help you.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

vxhold - thanks for your concern! It's actually a rev C2, not C1 - my fingers ran away from me :P
Old 10-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Sage User

Sagetv + HD PVR 1212 Lockups

Occasionally when sagetv records from the hd pvr, the rec symbol shows up then sagetv clients all lock up*. I know something is up because the lights on the hd pvr dont come on to say it is recording. The Arcsoft software says something is currently using the device and can not show me what is recording..
This very different from the normal HD PVR errors of "No Signal", but SageTV continues to function.

** What do I mean by lock up? Well you can browse the menu's, but if you click on anything that needs to pull data from the server, the grey timer keeps spinning indefinitely. If I launch the sagetv client on the server, same thing happens.

SageTV Server 6.4.5
HD PVR -- 1.0B drivers installed

I can remedy the issue by rebooting the HD PVR, and this is the first time I have said it, but it might be Sage & Hauppauge issue. Compared to my countless issues of just hd pvr flipping out on its own.

Help Please

PS - I will be trying 1.1 drivers tonight, too.

* merged *
Old 10-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

The IR blaster and record feature cannot be used at the same time. Your application must stop the video processing, then change channels, then start the record process. If you use the irblasterconfig for example while you see video you'll potentially lock up your pvr. Mine will also potentially lock up if I restart the IR remote applet while video is playing.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well I figured I'd chime in...

I RMA'd my first HD-PVR (it was a C1) and just received my new one, it is a "D2" (Yes, a "D2", not a "C2"). I hooked it up a couple days ago, and when I got home today, tried to watch something, and got "No Signal" -- I turned off the HD-PVR and then back on again and it was working.

Now, when I watch, about every 30-45 seconds, the video stutters and then continues 5-10 seconds later. If I rewind back to the point of the stutter, it still stutters, so it's something in the recording, not the playback.

I'm playing the video back on an STX-HD100.

I've tried standing the unit up on its side, doesn't make a difference. It doesn't feel hot or warm at all, no warmer than I'd expect it to be.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Bought a REV D 2 Weeks ago

I picked up and HDPVR 2 weeks ago from Fry's have have the following to report.

Needs to be power cycled every 2 or 3 days due to Sage 'No Signal' Message. Similar Response from Total Media but USB Blaster is still active and I can change channels.

I think we need a new driver that does not allow the unit to hang. A simple power cycle now fixes the problem.

Video Playback has been perfect on my HTPC (WIN XP 32 SP3) with Overlay Renderer and SageTV Mpeg decoder with hardware acceleration.

Stereo Audio is fine.
SPDIF playback has sound jitter and after all the debug stuff I have performed I am leanning towards a defective unit and more specifically the optical to electrical device in the unit that we cannot see.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Sage Fanatic

Had HD-PVR vC2 up and running for about a week now. It ocasionally hangs while watching live tv (live minus a few seconds to eliminate the ocassional stutter). First I lose sound, then a mintue or so later I get an exception error (which I should have written down). So far it has not hung while doing a regular a scheduled recording when no one is watching. I'm going to leave it for the next two weeks while I am out of town, so knock on wood, it will have no issues while I am gone. After that it sounds like a call to Hauppauge is in order.

SageTV 6.4.8
E8500/G45
VMR9/HWA
Driver v1.1
Old 10-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Well this was a different one for me... the lock-up of one HD-PVR prevented anything from working, so the other HD-PVR continued its recording that was in progress & I ended up with a 32 GB 8+ hour recording before I noticed what had happened.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:19 AM
Sage Icon

Two days ago I shut down the server and gave each of my 3 1212's their own, unshared, USB connection. The MB had 2 back panel connectors and 3 headers all supporting 2 ports. I connected one HD-PVR to each of the back panel connectors + one to an expansion bracket connected to one of the MB headers. The second port was left free. My KB, mouse, and USB-UIRT all share one of the remaining headers.

I have not gone 24 hours without a non-responding unit since getting them in June. Since upgrading the drivers last month I have not gone 12 hours.

Since reconfiguring all the USB ports described above - not one single lockup.

Only two days but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it lasts.

S
Old 10-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Sage User

Just received a D2

I was having the issue of no signal, rebooting etc.. I RMA'd and last night I received my new unit. They are now at D2. Only difference I can see so far it has air slots on the bottom of the unit.

I will be giving it a good go around this weekend. One thing I did notice with my other once I moved it away from the computer it seemed to work a lot better.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
Two days ago I shut down the server and gave each of my 3 1212's their own, unshared, USB connection. The MB had 2 back panel connectors and 3 headers all supporting 2 ports. I connected one HD-PVR to each of the back panel connectors + one to an expansion bracket connected to one of the MB headers. The second port was left free. My KB, mouse, and USB-UIRT all share one of the remaining headers.

I have not gone 24 hours without a non-responding unit since getting them in June. Since upgrading the drivers last month I have not gone 12 hours.

Since reconfiguring all the USB ports described above - not one single lockup.

Only two days but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it lasts.

S
I went thru exactly the same thing with 2 HD PVRs. Since I moved them to their own USB headers (two months ago) the only lockup I've had is when for some reason one of my DirecTV receivers updated software and didn't turn back on.

It's trial and error with each motherboard but separation seems to be the best policy.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 10-31-2008, 12:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post
I went thru exactly the same thing with 2 HD PVRs. Since I moved them to their own USB headers (two months ago) the only lockup I've had is when for some reason one of my DirecTV receivers updated software and didn't turn back on.

It's trial and error with each motherboard but separation seems to be the best policy.
Yes, and I have you to thank since I got the idea from a prior post of yours.

S
Old 11-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Sage Icon

Unfortunately this hasn't worked. In the last week since giving each HD-PVR its own header I have gone anywhere from 12 to 72 hours without a lockup. Big improvement over what I had before but definately not cured.

I think my next step is to try and exchange these yet again and see if I can get some of the latest revisions. I'm not sure that is possible since I waited so long hoping that the driver update would fix things. If I do have ~$850 of unreturnable bad HW I'm not going to be a happy camper.

If that doesn't work maybe I'll try a different motherboard. I hope I don't have to do that because the CPU and memory will either limit my MB choice or require replacement as well.

S
Old 11-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Sage Icon

Please explain "own USB headers".

Yes I feel foolish for asking

Thanks
Old 11-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdaddy View Post
Please explain "own USB headers".

Yes I feel foolish for asking

Thanks
The usb headers on the motherboard are normally in groups of two. Two usb ports one on top of the other, this pair would be one header. There may be three header with six ports. Mounting two devices on one header can create crosstalk, due to how close the wires are. I always try and only use one usb device per header, if I have to share a header, I know to watch out for one device creating problems with the other.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Sage Icon

Thank you...........much
Old 11-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Sage Icon

sleonard: As a last resort, before spending a lot of money: If there is a time during the day when your computer is not used, try shutting down your computer system and HD PVR overnight and then start the computer and HD PVR up again an hour or two before you use it the next day. I did this every day for a week and never had a hangup with the HD PVR.

And don't channel surf. Use the guide to watch live TV. Stop each live viewing before returning to the guide to select another channel.

If this works then buy the following automatic timer:
http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-DT1...6348776&sr=8-2

Downlaod the following freeware:
http://www.ampsoft.net/utilities/WinOFF.php

My computer now shuts down (via WinOFF) every day at 1:45 AM, the digital timer cuts power to my entire system (HD PVRs, Sat boxes etc) at 2 AM. The timer powers everything up on weekdays at 4PM and Sat/Sun at 10 AM. I have not missed a recording in 2 1/2 months now.

It's a pain in the a$$ but not as big of a pain as having a system that does not work.