SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
If you had only posted your opinion just once, we would not be having this conversation.
If the people that don't like the stock UI posted in only one thread the debate would be over but they don't. Again, you avoid the question; why the double standard? Why is it bad for me to post my opinion more than once but OK for others to post their opinion (that you happen to agree with) more than once? We know why...
Old 01-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_E View Post
If the people that don't like the stock UI posted in only one thread the debate would be over but they don't. Again, you avoid the question; why the double standard? Why is it bad for me to post my opinion more than once but OK for others to post their opinion (that you happen to agree with) more than once? We know why...
"Broken record" comes to mind. Why are you so against Sage making some "visual improvements" to the stock UI (and seemingly the only one arguing against it)? Do you not want them to gain any new customers? Or are you just pissed that Microsoft doesn't still offer the Windows 3.1 UI in Vista? I have no idea why they updated it - it was working fine...
Old 01-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well I for one an definitely going to give 7MC a serious look. With the free beta download it is only costing me my time. Not on my HTPC (Currently running Sage, w/ SageMC) but on my main rig.

I currently have two boxes that I use. The SageTV box, and the original XBOX running XBMC. I use Sage for OTA tuning. Two tuners. That's it. And pretty much ignored Sage's media center functionality, because well, frankly it seemed light years behind XBMC. Just felt clunky, and looked clunky compared to the sweet eye candy of all those great XBMC skins. I use SageMC, and am very happy with the SageTV box handling what the XBMC cannot: OTA HD TV.

I only recently used the media center side of Sage as I had acquired some HD content that the XBOX would no doubt choke on. So I was pleased to see my upgrade to get mkv and xvid support was uneventful.

But the prospect of getting one box to handle it all. Is compelling. No doubt the DRM will be an issue for some. But in the 3 or so years running sage I have only pulled 3 items off the box for long term storage. Add to that the reports of the 7MC supposedly containing a driver for the HDCP 20
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/11/10...-20-usb-tuner/
I don't get cable (beyond the basic analog no-box teir). And so far my OTA Sage box gets me enough TV. But the prospect of a box with two OTA tuners, and two satellite tuners (full digital, no analog) has me intrigued.

I at least should check it out. It might be total crap, but I gotta take a look at it.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to ghostlobster
Oh man....pulling up a chair here to watch this....this is getting interesting!
Client 2 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, ATI HD2400 Pro
Client 3 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, nVidia 8500 GT

Raleigh Computer Repair
Old 01-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to ghostlobster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack View Post
But the prospect of getting one box to handle it all. Is compelling. No doubt the DRM will be an issue for some. But in the 3 or so years running sage I have only pulled 3 items off the box for long term storage. Add to that the reports of the 7MC supposedly containing a driver for the HDCP 20
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/11/10...-20-usb-tuner/
Uh....yeah....OK, who wants to tell him about the DirecTV/Microsoft fallout? Volunteers?
Client 2 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, ATI HD2400 Pro
Client 3 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, nVidia 8500 GT

Raleigh Computer Repair
Old 01-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
I'd have the same comments if someone was constantly repeating the same observations about the lameness of the Stock UI into multiple threads as well. There is no double standard.
Except there is a double standard, *you've* posted *your* opinion regarding the stock UI in more threads than I have. Why is OK for you post YOUR opinion more than once but not me?

Don't get me wrong, I don't care if you or others repeat the complaints, just don't whine if I repeat my opinion too. If it's OK for one side to state their opinons, it should be OK for the other side, unless you're afraid of dissent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
"Broken record" comes to mind.
Again, why is it not "broken record" when people repeatedly whine about the stock UI?
Old 01-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Sage User

Quote:
If there were one person who consistently repeated the exact same things over and over in multiple threads about why he/she thought the stock UI sucks I'm sure that they would get the same reaction you are getting. The whole "woe is me" "you're stifling dissent" routine is even more tiresome than the continual repetition of the same opinion.
Rosewill RSV-L4411 server case, Core i5 4590, 16 GB RAM, 1 Hauppauge Colossus, 1 HDHomeRun, 500GB SATA recording drive, 14 TB JBOD for media, SageTV 7, Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 14.04 VM with Plex Server and Subsonic

Frontend:
ASUS Chromebox running Kodi with SageTV add-on
Old 01-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronb View Post
If there were one person who consistently repeated the exact same things over and over in multiple threads about why he/she thought the stock UI sucks I'm sure that they would get the same reaction you are getting. The whole "woe is me" "you're stifling dissent" routine is even more tiresome than the continual repetition of the same opinion.
Again, why is 10 people repeating that they don't like it make it any different? The hypocrisy is just as tiresome. If you don't want me to repeat my opinion then nobody else should be able to either.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
But the prospect of getting one box to handle it all. Is compelling.
To a large degree the attractiveness (is that a word) of other Media Center platforms is largely dependent on how you use Sage.

I use Sage primarily as a DVR. I've only got one computer running sage (server), all viewing is done on extenders. I also have 3 separate sources (OTA, cable, and Dish) that coexist very happily in one EPG. In the DVR arena I don't think Sage has any real competition.

Secondary use is for frequently watched ripped DVDs and mail order Rentals (ripped to HD until they are watched, then deleted). The fact that I don't have to put discs in a DVD player, and can watch anything on any TV, is what makes Sage work for me. This is especially good for the WAF as well, as any TV in the house has access to our DVD collection for the Kids.

I RARELY watch online videos, or listen to mp3s, or look at Pictures via Sage So the glitzy (better than "bling" right) things that XBMC brings to the table, which I appreciate on an aesthetic level, don't temp me to leave Sage.

So if something really compelling in the DVR / DVD Library arena came out in a competing product, I'd give it a look. It doesn't seem to me that Win7 fits that bill though.....

btl.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Again, why is 10 people repeating that they don't like it make it any different? The hypocrisy is just as tiresome. If you don't want me to repeat my opinion then nobody else should be able to either.
You're right, it is a double standard. But that is just the price of making an argument by yourself over and over again that doesn't make any sense.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
You're right, it is a double standard. But that is just the price of making an argument by yourself that doesn't make any sense.
Attacking me because I don't agree with you is just as lame. The fact is; it does make sense and I'm not the only one (I'm just the most vocal), you just don't agree. There's a difference.

At least you admit there's a double standard. The larger "group" attacks the dissenting opinion because they only want to hear opinions that agree with theirs.

Last edited by S_M_E; 01-13-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Take a deep breath, count to 10, and ask yourself if this perceived hypocrisy, even if it really exists, is such a grave injustice as to warrant the reactions you've had. A little perspective please.
Rosewill RSV-L4411 server case, Core i5 4590, 16 GB RAM, 1 Hauppauge Colossus, 1 HDHomeRun, 500GB SATA recording drive, 14 TB JBOD for media, SageTV 7, Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 14.04 VM with Plex Server and Subsonic

Frontend:
Old 01-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlobster View Post
Uh....yeah....OK, who wants to tell him about the DirecTV/Microsoft fallout? Volunteers?
Found it.

Quote:
The HDPC-20 tuner that appears on the driver list of a pre-Beta build of Windows 7 is an artifact that was listed prior to the decision to suspend the tuner project. As our plans progress toward a Windows Media Center-compatible product, we will make an announcement at the appropriate time.
Guess I'll cool my jets now.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Take a deep breath, count to 10, and ask yourself if this perceived hypocrisy, even if it really exists, is such a grave injustice as to warrant the reactions you've had. A little perspective please.
cncb admitted that it exists. A double standard is the epitome of hypocrisy.The basic schoolyard/internet forum "clique" psychology is evident. Attack those that don't agree in an attempt to make them quiet. It won't work with me. According to some, it's perfectly OK to repeat an opinion that they agree with, just not one they don't agree with. That is hypocrisy.

Last edited by S_M_E; 01-13-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
But the prospect of getting one box to handle it all. Is compelling. No doubt the DRM will be an issue for some. But in the 3 or so years running sage I have only pulled 3 items off the box for long term storage. Add to that the reports of the 7MC supposedly containing a driver for the HDCP 20....the prospect of a box with two OTA tuners, and two satellite tuners (full digital, no analog) has me intrigued..
There's not going to be an HTPC 20. The project was scrapped. Excuses were given. I suspect irreconcilable differences.

DRM is a bit more that you think of it as, at least with DirecTV. DirecTV passes flags, which MS has so far honored, that can prevent recording or allow watch windows of 24 hrs, 48 hrs or 30 days. I've run into these with Premium channels (HBO for one, 30 days), PPV (24 hrs) and am told it's the same with VOD. You should be able to watch (during the window) from any PC on your network, but that's not always the case.

Of course, I haven't had any of these problems (for some reason) since last August. Oh! That's right! That's when I switched to SageTV.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 01-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

How many tuners doe Windows 7 MC support? Also, will it work with a HDHR?
Old 01-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsitalon1 View Post
How many tuners doe Windows 7 MC support? Also, will it work with a HDHR?
I don't know about the HDHR question but I think that I read w7 only supports 3 tuners. I just can't remember where I read it now to verify that so I might be wrong.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:47 PM
SageTVaholic

HDHR works on the current Vista Media Center and the previous WIndow Media Center. So it should work on WIndows 7.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Sage User

Quote:
cncb admitted that it exists. A double standard is the epitome of hypocrisy.The basic schoolyard/internet forum "clique" psychology is evident. Attack those that don't agree in an attempt to make them quiet. It won't work with me. According to some, it's perfectly OK to repeat an opinion that they agree with, just not one they don't agree with. That is hypocrisy.
I, for one, am outraged that such a terrible injustice has been allowed to take place. If someone can get away with telling S_M_E not to repeat his opinion the terrorists have already won.

Frontend:
Old 01-13-2009, 02:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I, for one, am outraged that such a terrible injustice has been allowed to take place. If someone can get away with telling S_M_E not to repeat his opinion the terrorists have already won.

Seriously. A little too much hub-bub for the hub, bub. Time to return to our normally scheduled thread and leave the interface discussion to the other thread. Sanity NOW! All the cliques go back to their corners.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.