SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to ghostlobster
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronb View Post
I, for one, am outraged that such a terrible injustice has been allowed to take place. If someone can get away with telling S_M_E not to repeat his opinion the terrorists have already won.
Just another case of the man keeping someone down!

Oh, and someone had asked about the HDHR with Windows 7...I can confirm that it works. The setup is identical to that of Vista with the 2008 TV-Puke.

Oh, wow! My 200th post! Party time!
Client 2 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, ATI HD2400 Pro
Client 3 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, nVidia 8500 GT

Raleigh Computer Repair
Old 01-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I, for one, am outraged that such a terrible injustice has been allowed to take place. If someone can get away with telling S_M_E not to repeat his opinion the terrorists have already won.
Attempting to marginalize the situation by trolling just proves me right. Thanks...
Old 01-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_E View Post
Attempting to marginalize the situation by trolling just proves me right. Thanks...
I'm not sure what's worse, thinking this issue is important enough that it could be "marginalized", or your need to be proven right. Dude, you're whining about "hypocrisy" on an internet forum for DVR software. A little perspective, please.

Back on topic: While it sounds like MCE7 has some very nice changes coming, HDPVR support is the elephant in the room. CableCard sucks, you can't build your own machine, you can't do what you'd like with the recordings, and so there's really no way MS can compete for my money here.
Rosewill RSV-L4411 server case, Core i5 4590, 16 GB RAM, 1 Hauppauge Colossus, 1 HDHomeRun, 500GB SATA recording drive, 14 TB JBOD for media, SageTV 7, Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 14.04 VM with Plex Server and Subsonic

Frontend:
ASUS Chromebox running Kodi with SageTV add-on
Old 01-13-2009, 03:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
I use Sage primarily as a DVR. I've only got one computer running sage (server), all viewing is done on extenders. I also have 3 separate sources (OTA, cable, and Dish) that coexist very happily in one EPG. In the DVR arena I don't think Sage has any real competition.
I RARELY watch online videos, or listen to mp3s, or look at Pictures via Sage So the glitzy (better than "bling" right) things that XBMC brings to the table, which I appreciate on an aesthetic level, don't temp me to leave Sage.
I use Sage in a very similar manner - being able to have all kids Recorded TV shows and/or DVDs available in all rooms of the house is fantastic and is why I love my system.

One side benefit to Sage (or most similar systems) is the Slideshow screensaver. How often do you sit down to look at your photos - but when they just come on your large screen TV in the kitchen when you are cleaning up it is a great way to rekindle some great memories.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Dude, you're whining about "hypocrisy" on an internet forum for DVR software. A little perspective, please.
"Dude" you're just trolling on an internet forum for DVR SW but the ignore feature will fix that. What's sad is you didn't debate anything I said, you just attacked me for saying it. Good luck and goodbye...

Last edited by S_M_E; 01-13-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
"Dude" you're just trolling on an internet forum for DVR SW but the ignore feature will fix that. What's sad is you didn't debate anything I said, you just attacked me for saying it. Good luck and goodbye...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll#Usage
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD
Old 01-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Sage Fanatic

My usuage was correct, he wasn't debating my comments just trying to attack me because he didn't like that I said it but that's over now. I've taken care of it.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
My usuage was correct, he wasn't debating my comments just trying to attack me because he didn't like that I said it but that's over now. I've taken care of it.
From what I read, he was trying to persuade you to have a different perspective, and you called him a troll. If aaronb was trolling, you probably ought to put half the forum on ignore as well. Not that you've ever posted anything with an intent to inflame...
Old 01-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Sage Fanatic

He wasn't trying to persude me:
"I, for one, am outraged that such a terrible injustice has been allowed to take place. If someone can get away with telling S_M_E not to repeat his opinion the terrorists have already won."
He was trolling.

"An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response..."

I have room for more people in the ignore list if needed but at least tmiranda was debating the comments, the troll was just attacking me.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Sage User

Did you hear that sainswor99, keep it up and he'll put you on his ignore list!

Can we make it through one thread that relates in any way to UI differences without this crap? Or does merely asking that question mean I'm "stifling dissent"?
Rosewill RSV-L4411 server case, Core i5 4590, 16 GB RAM, 1 Hauppauge Colossus, 1 HDHomeRun, 500GB SATA recording drive, 14 TB JBOD for media, SageTV 7, Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 14.04 VM with Plex Server and Subsonic

Frontend:
ASUS Chromebox running Kodi with SageTV add-on
Old 01-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Sage Icon

Please, people! I have been watching this thread for Win 7 comments and keep thinking I'm linked to the wrong thread. Can't we all just get along?
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 01-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post
Please, people! I have been watching this thread for Win 7 comments and keep thinking I'm linked to the wrong thread. Can't we all just get along?
I tried to answer a w7 question earlier and I'll assume that your question is rhetorical.

Have you tried w7 yet? I have and it's not a bad OS but I would only use it as a client, not as a server, personally. It certainly did install fast and it boots fast too. Other than that it seems more like vista2.0. I'll be curious to see how w7 progresses, it might be a good upgrade from XP or vista.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Sage Icon

I am looking forward to trying it. I am hoping it will be a solid platform and a cut above Vista. I know some here have copies installed and will be remarking on the plusses and minuses.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 01-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Sage Fanatic

It certainly is improved but I don't know about a "cut above" since I don't have problems with vista like some people do. Later betas/RCs and the actual release should provide better info. If you can get your hands on it you could even test it in VMWare or other virtual machines and, of course, hands on will tell you more than other people's opinions.

I think you'll find more plusses (from the finished product) than minuses to be honest. Like any new OS there will be issues although I'd imagine most things with vista drivers should be pretty much OK with w7 too.

Last edited by S_M_E; 01-13-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Sage Icon

I'm almost 50% done with the iso download and plan to install it on my client that the HD-200 replaced. You are right, hands on is best and I'm anxious to take it for a spin. I do have a spare HD tuner card that I'll throw in to get the feel of it.

I am most curious about the HiDef codecs that are included for video and audio.

My SageTV system is more reliable than my MCE iterations have ever been. The ir control of the DirecTV boxes was just never right. The right settings for channel changes evaded me, somewhere between medium and fast but neither medium or fast worked every time for me.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Sage Fanatic

I don't have spare tuners and I'm perfectly happy with Sage on WHS, YMMV...

In case others want to try it, the beta is public:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...-download.aspx
Old 01-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Sage User

Concerning 7mc and the number of cards it will support. My understanding you can have 4 each (as in 4 analog turners, 4 ota and 4 receiving stb etc). Put this could be pulled in with the release and which version of Windows 7 you buy.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricandLorrie View Post
Concerning 7mc and the number of cards it will support. My understanding you can have 4 each (as in 4 analog turners, 4 ota and 4 receiving stb etc). Put this could be pulled in with the release and which version of Windows 7 you buy.
That very well could be true, I just don't remember the details of the site I read now. Maybe it was vista that only handled 3 or maybe an earlier w7 beta... *shrug*
Old 01-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Sage Aficionado

Did they fix the Fast forward and rewind for .mpg files?

My son has Window Vista Ultimate and I shared my SageTV recording folder and went into his box and imported all my Sage recordings into Media Center and when I tried to play a file the Fast forward and rewind didn't work with my Harmony 880 remote, so I tried his remote still didn't work, did a Google search and I couldn't believe that the Fast forward and rewind is broken. I am not a Media Center fan, I prefer SageTV.

Scat
Old 01-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Haven't tried 7MC yet. and from the DRM issues mentioned, and others It is not likely to supplant Sage.

Which got me to thinking. Could 7MC be used as a 'skin' for Sage? Meaning tell 7MC to forget about TV. Put sage to sleep or service mode, Let 7MC have focus with it's apparently improved interface. And share the SageTV recording directory for 7MC to browse.

I mostly use the web server plug-in for Sage to schedule recordings etc. Dunno bout having to use it to delete something after I watched it. Will have to see. Just wondering.