SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Oh completely understood, but people aren't going to just accept a removed feature of the service just because it's "digital", being digital doesn't just magically make it better. IMO that is what we're talking about, lots of people relied on being able to view/record the "basic" (2-99) tier without an STB, and many are going to be quite annoyed when that functionality is lost, and they're completely justified in it IMO. This is all happening sort of at once for a lot of people, they're losing their analog (which could be viewed/recorded without a box) to encrypted digital. What makes it potentially more annoying is that they may have had a tease of clear QAM for a short time in between.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
IMO that is what we're talking about, lots of people relied on being able to view/record the "basic" (2-99) tier without an STB, and many are going to be quite annoyed when that functionality is lost, and they're completely justified in it IMO.
This is sort of a tangent, since I think we're on the same page on this topic, but channels 2-99 do not make up the basic tier. According to the FCC's terminology, the basic tier consists of the local broadcast networks, as well as public access, government and educational programming that the cable provider has agreed to provide.

Channels 2-99 are generally called the "expanded basic" tier.

The only reason I bring it up is that I think the misunderstanding about what is the basic tier creates confusion in these threads when we're talking about cable companies encrypting the basic tier. It seems like there's always someone that comes along thinking that is channels 2-99.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Sage Expert

The other problem here also is that we don't know for how long these DTA's will be free. And I don't see Comcast lining up to provide 7 DAT's free of charge. Whereas, with the "old" system, I could have 2 digital cable boxes and scatter TV's across the house for access to the analog channels. So, definitely there will be some inconvenience. And the other one I never hear mentioned is that now you will need to use a CableCO remote. Well, I happen to like my TV remote just fine. I'd like to continue using that one
1x STX-HD100
3x STP-HD200
@cliftpompee
Old 01-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Sage Fanatic

Yesterday, there was a brief outage of analog. Clear QAM and the Internet worked fine. When it was over, I had a bunch of new Clear QAM (extended basic) stations and lost a few analog, so spent an hour or so mapping the tuners from OTA to not lose channels. I also received a letter from Comcast saying I had a month to "upgrade" to the digital STB and those with TVs with QAM tuners also needed the STB, (which to me means those "clear QAM" signals won't be clear for long). Guess they really mean it .
Old 01-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

I got a voice mail from Comcast today informing me to get the DTA's because the conversion away from analog will be March 3rd. This is in the surban Chicago area.

Greg
Old 01-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
Comcast is supposed to be finished with the conversion in all areas by the end of the year I believe. The big if is when they will start locking down channels in your area. Some they have done it at the same time and others they converted and have left alone for months. I'm just hoping that some of the cablecard solutions can be ported seamlessly as otherwise the writing is on the wall.