SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Sage Fanatic

Sweet.

I'll definitely be setting this up once the email alert system is working.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_h View Post
Sweet.

I'll definitely be setting this up once the email alert system is working.
Me too. I've been looking for something like this. Thanks Slugger.

I would also highly favor SMS for all the reasons stated by GKusnick. It works quite well with work related notifications; I'd love to implement that kind of efficiency with SageTV.

I'm going to start looking into my email-to-SMS option now so as to be prepared.

Again, thank you for all of your hard work with this plugin. I can see it quickly becoming a must-have for my list of addons.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Snapshot 528 is available. This build brings SageAlert back on par with all the features of SageTweet, namely:
  • Clients tab added that allows labelling of clients to a more friendly name when used in notifications
  • Media viewing notifications for specific clients can be disabled (again, on the clients tab)

In addition, the clients tab will automatically fill itself in as clients connect to the host running SageAlert. No more having to guess/figure out what the client id is suppose to be (it will take up to 5 minutes after you connect a client before it will register with SageAlert).

For those new to my plugins, all downloads are available at my project site. Snapshot builds (a.k.a. development builds, a.k.a. any build not marked an official release) are always on the Downloads tab at the project site. When I refer to a build number (528 in this case), it refers to the last number in the file name. So snapshot 528 will be found in the downloads section as 'sagealert-0.0.3.528.zip'.

Testing, feedback, bugs, suggestions, comments, etc. all welcomed. I believe the only thing left to be added before v1.0.0 is the email notification support. I'm off to the US (New England) for the next 4-5 days for a little R&R so it'll probably be at least a week or so before I get around to adding the email notification support - unless I get all my errands done early tomorrow (probably not going to happen). In the meantime, keep the feedback coming on the current build.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 09-10-2009, 08:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Snapshot 530 now available on project site. This snapshot adds the email notification system support.

I really need testers on this one as I am limited by how much testing I can do. I was able to test using my ISP's SMTP server (basic port 25, no restrictions) and I also was able to test using Gmail's SMTP server (non-standard port, SSL connection, authentication required) and I was able to send alerts via both SMTP servers so I'm relatively confident, but now it's up to everyone else to let me know just how well it works.

I'm around today and will keep an eye out for responses, but I'm on vacation so won't be around the laptop most of the day. Then I'm off to New England for a few days so hopefully nothing is so horribly broken that it can't survive until the middle of next week.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:19 AM
SageTVaholic

I will test out Slugger - I use Gmail as well. Can you please post all of the parameters needed for Gmail as I believe Gmail's SMTP server/port/etc is slightly non-standard.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I will test out Slugger - I use Gmail as well. Can you please post all of the parameters needed for Gmail as I believe Gmail's SMTP server/port/etc is slightly non-standard.
Here's the settings I used for connecting to Gmail's SMTP server:

Host: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465
User: <your_gmail_id>**
Password: <your_gmail_password>
From Address: <your_gmail_address>^^
Use SSL: Must be checked

** If using an @gmail.com address then this should just be the username. If you use a custom domain with Gmail (like I do), then this must be the full email address (user@domain.com).

^^ Gmail's SMTP server only let's you send email as the user you're authenticated as, so this must be the email address of the user name you're connecting with or else Gmail will reject your email message.

If alerts aren't being sent then check the sagealert.log file for details (in root install dir).
Old 09-10-2009, 09:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Just to make sure I have this right - let's say your email address is john.doe@gmail.com

Then user is john.doe and From Address is john.doe@gmail.com?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Just to make sure I have this right - let's say your email address is john.doe@gmail.com

Then user is john.doe and From Address is john.doe@gmail.com?
Turns out I was wrong. Username is the full email address whether it's a gmail.com address or a custom domain. Details here.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Sage Icon

Just had the chance to install .530 and I LOVE it. I'll still be Twitter only but I LOVE the new local/remote client support, thanks much for a great app!
Old 09-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Sage Icon

One small request regarding the message on media files -- and I think this came up with SageTweet as well. Could there be an option to not post the full path to the file? e.g.

Folder/SubFolder/Filename: Title

Could it just be the last bit: Title ?
Old 09-10-2009, 01:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post
One small request regarding the message on media files -- and I think this came up with SageTweet as well. Could there be an option to not post the full path to the file? e.g.

Folder/SubFolder/Filename: Title

Could it just be the last bit: Title ?
I'm not sure if I can. Right now I'm just calling the GetMediaTitle() API call and for imported videos, that's the string Sage is returning. I don't think there's a way to just get the title by itself. I could do a substring, but that's not easy to do right (have to account for possible colons in the title, etc.). If someone knows of an API call that just returns the title portion of the string then I can make the change rather easy - the hard part seems to be finding a way to get that specific info.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
I'm not sure if I can. Right now I'm just calling the GetMediaTitle() API call and for imported videos, that's the string Sage is returning. I don't think there's a way to just get the title by itself. I could do a substring, but that's not easy to do right (have to account for possible colons in the title, etc.). If someone knows of an API call that just returns the title portion of the string then I can make the change rather easy - the hard part seems to be finding a way to get that specific info.
I believe that for imported videos, GetShowEpisode() returns just the video title without path information. So you'd probably want to test some combination of IsTVFile() and/or IsLibraryFile() before deciding whether to call GetShowTitle() or GetShowEpsiode().
Old 09-10-2009, 03:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
I believe that for imported videos, GetShowEpisode() returns just the video title without path information. So you'd probably want to test some combination of IsTVFile() and/or IsLibraryFile() before deciding whether to call GetShowTitle() or GetShowEpsiode().
You're right... fixed in 531.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
You're right... fixed in 531.
w00t! you rock!
Old 09-11-2009, 07:20 AM
Sage Icon

hey slugger,
love it... this (with the email support) is exactly what i have been looking for. Thanks

Quick question. I have one alert notification type enabled (email). I seem to be unable to unselect it once its been selected for an event. How do you unselect a notification type once its been enabled?
Check out TVExplorer
Old 09-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Sage Icon

And a feature request (unless i missed a configuration options somewhere...):
When sending an email alert it would be fantastic if there was some static text to identify that the email was coming from SagAlert for labeling/filtering in my email client. The text could either be the first part of the body or in the subject (preferred).... something like "SageAlert: ..." or something similar.

Thanks
Check out TVExplorer
Old 09-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Sage Icon

Three things:

1) Could you add a "test" button to send a test alert. Right now I'm haveing to sit and wait until Sage generates a system notification before I find out if the email setup is correct.

2) How to unselect email from the various alerts. For example, I only want emails on system messages, recording conflicts, and low space alerts.

3) I 2nd razrsharpe's request for a way to define the email subject.

S
Old 09-12-2009, 09:13 AM
SageTVaholic

I tried it and it seems to be working well - I am using Twitter and email notifications. It is even co-existing with SageTweet right now.

I would suggest that you use a different methodology for selecting multpile servers for messages - perhaps check boxes rather than Ctrl-clicking to select multiple items. The Ctrl-clicking is not that obvious to people.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Sage Icon

I'll have to look into email-to-SMS since I have an unlimited SMS package, but no net services at all on my enV. That's assuming Verizon doesn't consider that a machine-to-human SMS. They consider it a premium service and charges apply even w/ unlimited SMS.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:26 PM
SageTVaholic

I think I have found a bug - SageAlert is still sending me emails on a bunch of events (like recordings, client connects, etc) even though I have turned off notification via email for these events.

I initially tried sending everything to email just to make sure it works so I enabled email for all events. Now I have tried to turn off email and just have twitter notifications for everything except system messages - but I keep getting the emails!
Closed Thread