SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Sage My Movies
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Sage My Movies This forums is for discussing the user-created Sage My Movies for SageTV.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
It will look much prettier if you get all of you coverart and backgrounds before you install SMM. Trust me. It's free and there is no reason not to start early especially if you have a large collection. Lots of information to be downloaded.
Just to clarify the backgrounds are not free (unless you are using BMT to get them).

Also if you have the points for the backgrounds they will not be downloaded until you download my app is my understanding of Their api. As they do it on demand in the WMC interface. I do it on demand as well but they are all done at first on first install (backgrounds and posters)

covers are automatically downloaded.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Need a Tester

I need someone who already has collection manager setup and running as well as BMT setup and downloaded fanart backgrounds. You must not have the points on mymovies and plan on using BMT to gather your backgrounds.

Any takers?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
I need someone who already has collection manager setup and running as well as BMT setup and downloaded fanart backgrounds. You must not have the points on mymovies and plan on using BMT to gather your backgrounds.

Any takers?
Ignore already got someone crap that was fast.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ignore already got someone crap that was fast.
2 minutes, really? hehe... this does raise up a question though... is there any intention to use your shiny fancy graphics and NOT have to have a redundant collection management system? After going through and putting some discs in MyMovies and such, I have yet to figure out what this really provides that can't be obtained from the sagetv database (with metadata added by BMT, for instance).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm thinking the end goal is to support all methods of importing metadata - covers - backgrounds - etc - but gota start someplace
Old 07-15-2010, 10:29 AM
SageTVaholic

I guess my idea would have been to start simple with the metadata that's already there then.. ;-).. unless of course, you were trying to catch the eye of former MCE users who thought MyMovies was the best way to do things...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-15-2010, 10:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
2 minutes, really? hehe... this does raise up a question though... is there any intention to use your shiny fancy graphics and NOT have to have a redundant collection management system? After going through and putting some discs in MyMovies and such, I have yet to figure out what this really provides that can't be obtained from the sagetv database (with metadata added by BMT, for instance).
Well the redundancy only exist right now for people that don't want to pay for the points for backgrounds. Eventually (when I get done with everything on the long list) BMT , sage metadata and ortus metadata will be supported without the need for MyMovies if you don't want to use it.

Some of my preferences for mymovies are the following (I use it and of course I am going to code for me first )

1. Use to use WMC and have always like and used their collection manager and the community that commits the data is huge especially now that XBMC has a plugin as well.
2. The WHS addin is second to none. The automated ripping of music and movies is heaven sent on a WHS when you have a wife.
3. To me it is a much more mature product the BMT (no offense to Sean in any ways it has been around a much longer time)
4. It doesn't rely on IMD or themovieDB all data is served by private servers that are much much faster than either of those at serving up data.

Now your next question What does it offer that others don't
1. Great box support (kind of like folders but better as it shows the information for the actual boxed movie or ser)
2. The backend api is very strong and very universal all of the stuff I am doing can't be done with the default. (ie similiar movies, dynamic filters, custom groups)
3. High support for customizations via coverstyles and other options.

In the end it came down to I had to write a program that I wanted and would use. I looked at them all over time and MyMovies had a strong api and file structure already in place and were willing to allow me full access for development. Since I already had it installed and have for years and prefer it It was an easy decision. Allot of the sorting/customization options are done with dynamic SQL statements something that is easy and he has built in filtering api's for sql queries that he has allowed me access to (ie similiar movies, trailers, etc)

So it won't be for everyone and eventually it will incorporate the default metadata,bmt and ortus but it will also be much more limited in those modes in what it can do because allot of the stuff just won't be possible without the mymovies api or allot of work on my part( not going to happen on my part).

So it really isn't "redundant" metadata unless you don't want to contribute or purchase the points for backdrop.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
unless of course, you were trying to catch the eye of former MCE users who thought MyMovies was the best way to do things...
Collection management could help those MCE user who are curious about trying Sage and being able to get up and running pretty quickly... Your original question is good/valid and I too am curious
Old 07-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
In the end it came down to I had to write a program that I wanted and would use.
Reason enough right there and the best reason to start any project :P

oh! and I'm glad your deciding to share it with the rest of us! Thanks!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I guess my idea would have been to start simple with the metadata that's already there then.. ;-).
Just to reiterate because I already used mymovies and to me to use MyMovies on the WHS and BMT on my computer was redundant and I wasn't getting the features of mymovies like I missed because of specific mymovies metadata. We all have our preferences.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrems View Post
Collection management could help those MCE user who are curious about trying Sage and being able to get up and running pretty quickly... Your original question is good/valid and I too am curious
That did factor in slightly yes me and DBone has much discussion about it and I have had allot of questions and emails from WMC users wanting to convert and are very interested. Are extenders do much more then they dream about over there .

MyMovies has been around along time over there and so having more users over here never hurts and having a universal metadata to go from WMC , XBMC ,SageTV is nice for everyone.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
That did factor in slightly yes me and DBone has much discussion about it and I have had allot of questions and emails from WMC users wanting to convert and are very interested. Are extenders do much more then they dream about over there .

MyMovies has been around along time over there and so having more users over here never hurts and having a universal metadata to go from WMC , XBMC ,SageTV is nice for everyone.
I think this is key giving users an easy way to switch between systems. That is probably one of the biggest hurdles, you spend a lot of time getting your metadata/library to work a certain way that it makes it difficult to even think about switching to another system. Using MyMovies as the common factor makes it much easier for WMC to dip their toes into the SageTV water

Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net
Old 07-15-2010, 12:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Who likes info??

Guys going to ask the group which direction you prefer. Working on a info this is just very early and haven't added any logs or anything of the sort yet which one do you prefer? info or info2?

Like I said still early so don't be to judgmental of the info on there just more of a reference. I am leaning towards 2 because you get more of the fanart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg info2.JPG (210.5 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg info.JPG (146.2 KB, 275 views)
Old 07-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Guys going to ask the group which direction you prefer. Working on a info this is just very early and haven't added any logs or anything of the sort yet which one do you prefer? info or info2?

Like I said still early so don't be to judgmental of the info on there just more of a reference. I am leaning towards 2 because you get more of the fanart.
I actually like the look of "info."

I think that the information is a bit clearer and I don't mind that it covers the fanart. I've always thought of fanart as being a background item, secondary to the foreground info. . .
Old 07-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

Either one looks great but I like #1 or "info". The layout is familiar and it's easy to get a lot of info very quickly. I like the use of the PG13 rating graphic as well.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

Well, this might sound crazy but it looks like you've already done/coded both of them... your plugin has a ton of options already... could you just make it an option for the user to pick which to use?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Sage Icon

Info2
Old 07-15-2010, 01:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent94Z View Post
Well, this might sound crazy but it looks like you've already done/coded both of them... your plugin has a ton of options already... could you just make it an option for the user to pick which to use?
The issue is time and nether one is near finished or polish. Really just want to do one. As you said I have so many options/customizations already no need to complicate the info view
Old 07-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Sage Icon

+1 Info2. Why have backdrops if the info is going to block the view?
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 07-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Sage User

I like info2 as well. I like to see the Fanart and don't think you've done it at the expense of the information, so I like it.