SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 09-28-2004, 01:03 PM
Sage Fanatic

Where did you get the srtManager? I wrote a vbs script by the same name a while ago, but I don't remember sharing it.

But, maybe I did. In which case I need to update it.

Jere
Old 09-28-2004, 01:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere_Jones
Where did you get the srtManager?
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=6602
Old 09-28-2004, 01:21 PM
Sage Fanatic

Umm... hehe... it would appear that I... umm... did share it...

I do have an updated version that has the option to "resync" the smi file because the CC's tend to drift out of sync with the audio (29.97fps vs 30fps). If you want that one, I'll be happy to share it.

Regarding the .txt file, srtManager doesn't generate a txt file. Or at least, shouldn't. It is possible that comskip isn't detecting any commercials, hence the empty txt file.

Since I'm working on comskip, head on over to the comskip thread and grab the latest. If that doesn't work, then follow the troubleshooting steps.

Jere
Old 09-28-2004, 04:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

you are right - the txt file was being created by comskip (fired automatically by Neilm's STV).

do you have a url for srtmanager ? if not you can email me at gaurushab@gmail.com
Old 09-28-2004, 07:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

I posted an update to the original srtManager thread.

I'm glad you find it useful.

Jere
Old 09-28-2004, 09:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks.
you think you could expand srtmanager to include comskip and then have the STV call srtmanager instead ? Kinda one click processing of both CA and CC.
Just a thought.....
Old 09-30-2004, 07:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Sorry if this is off topic, but does the Closed Captioning work through the tv-out on a PVR-350?

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 10-08-2004, 02:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

yep!

peace...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutaw
Sorry if this is off topic, but does the Closed Captioning work through the tv-out on a PVR-350?
Old 10-08-2004, 02:41 AM
Sage Fanatic

dumb question

While I admire the amount of work put into this... I've always wondered about one thing.

If the CC data is in the MPEG stream, why hasn't someone developed a decoder that just displays it directly with the video?

Seems like that wouldn't require as much extra CPU work as all the external stuff required this way.

Just wondering?
Old 10-08-2004, 04:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mls
If the CC data is in the MPEG stream, why hasn't someone developed a decoder that just displays it directly with the video?
It already exists and is included with Windows (it is called the 'Line21 decoder'), but it would need changes to the Sage core to include it when playing back.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:30 PM
Sage Fanatic

Then there is hope that a future version of SageTV might have that built in. That would simplify things.

Hmm, "Line 21 Decoder"... now that makes me wonder how much other data might possibly also be lurking in the data stream. There's a lot of stuff in the first extra lines of the vertical blanking interval.

One of my VCR's could display show title and rating also. Is any of that extra stuff available in the stream or just the CC from line 21?
Old 10-09-2004, 06:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hey guys / gals ~

I was goofing around today and thought I'd take another stab at getting the closed captioning working on my sagetv today. Anywho, I had previously downloaded (and at some point removed mpg2srt) on my system. To my surprise, the program is no longer available via the snapstream forum. I was able to find it on the following page, and thought I would share:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/i.coggins/mpg2srt/

- Walt Disney
Old 10-09-2004, 06:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Hey guys / gals ~

I was goofing around today and thought I'd take another stab at getting the closed captioning working on my sagetv today. Anywho, I had previously downloaded (and at some point removed mpg2srt) on my system. To my surprise, the program is no longer available via the snapstream forum. I was able to find it on the following page, and thought I would share:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/i.coggins/mpg2srt/
Nevermind, it's in the FAQ's.

- Walt Disney

Last edited by krutaw; 10-09-2004 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Bear in mind that the version on that page is version 0.2. I'm attaching version 0.3 that fixed some issues with crazy captions.

Jere
Attached Files
File Type: zip mpg2srt.0.3.zip (47.3 KB, 235 views)
Old 10-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere_Jones
Bear in mind that the version on that page is version 0.2. I'm attaching version 0.3 that fixed some issues with crazy captions.

Jere
Jere~

Yeah, found it on the faq's. Got it working just a few moments ago. Oddly, the first (and only for about 30 minutes of head-banging troubleshooting) mpg that I attempted to get closed captioning on didn't work, I have it working nicely now.

Time to implement a second nightly job to run through my video directories and automagically create the .srt and .smi files with mpg2srt.

- Walt Disney
Old 10-09-2004, 11:37 PM
Sage User

Line21 decoder support needed

I am really hoping either Malore or Freys can implement use of Line21 decoder as it seems to display CCs much better - translucent background and text positioning (top or bottom) based on where it doesn't block the action. Using graphedit its easy to setup and see what it really should look like.

This would eliminate the need for nightly jobs and additional files.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigor
I am really hoping either Malore or Freys can implement use of Line21 decoder as it seems to display CCs much better - translucent background and text positioning (top or bottom) based on where it doesn't block the action. Using graphedit its easy to setup and see what it really should look like.

This would eliminate the need for nightly jobs and additional files.
Vigor ~

I agree 100% on the closed caption side of things. There's no reason why we should *HAVE* to scan the files to get the closed captioning data that is freely available to everyone.

As far as that goes, I think when the video is encoded, it should be marking commercials as well.

- Walt Disney
Old 11-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Sage Icon

Are you guys now using the CC support in 2.1 or still using this "older" style? If you are still using this "older" style can you tell me why?
Old 11-09-2004, 05:50 PM

I'm using a little of both, but mostly the Malore style. It depends on which video output(different decoders and display modes which limit built in CC) and which display(computer or TV) I use to watch the show. I also still tend to always generate the smi files anyway, since I use them to mux in subtitles for shows I edit and compress for my library. I just find the Malore(mpg2srt) version to be more versatile(it works for all decoders and rendering modes) for me. I sure others will feel differently.

One thing I would love to see added to the Malore style(or anyone's STV who uses the code) of CC, is the ability to have it look in user specified locations for the smi files. This would come in handy for import video shows, as I could keep all my SMIs in seperate location but still have SageTV use them.

The section below doesn't relate to your question but I've been meaning to mention this idea for a while. I may post it to the Request thread or bring it up in the customization forum. A huge dream/request would be for one of you STV genius to find a way for Sage to control/interact with the VobSub filter. If someone could find a way to display and select a AVI/OGM/MKVs different audio/subtitle tracks in Sage's OSD this would be incredible. Right now I have to control the audio track and sub track for these files from the VobSub tray icon's right click menu. Most of my files, of this type, are already set to the desired defaults but sometimes you want to watch the file differently and having to leave SageTV just destroys the sense of SageTV be an real frontend for my HTPC.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Sage Icon

Can't help much on the Vobsub filter (for now) since I don't use it but, let me drill you a little more on the CC part.

Since you're using a little of both you are probably a good person to ask. Why use both?

Is Malore's code pretty much video output independant so it can always be used as a "fall-back" CC support (assuming you have the SMI files needed)?

What conditions/codec/display does the built in 2.1 CC support not work for you?

I'm working on adding greater support for the built in CC data so this information is very good to know.

Thanks for the help,
Carlo