SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I think this is the main reason I've never been a fan of full-screen fanart. It works in something with limited info, like a coverflow type view, but on something like malore or tve, where the idea is to display a decent amount of information, it ends up just adding too much 'background noise' to the screen. Personally, I think I'd be happier with TVE if the 'background' was scaled down and took up just the empty space in the top right (getting rid of the poster), and made the left and bottom right lists into some sort of panes/panels. That said, I haven't actually USED tve since i added banners to the malore screen.
You might be surprised but I largely agree with you.... I've always found the full list of solid banners distracting too.. which is why I think im moving more towards only the focused item has a banner... then you can "see" the background better anyway I've also toyed with the idea of the background in just a small pane to be less distracting... iirc diamond does this now.. or maybe in screenshots of the new version... i forget where i saw it
Check out TVExplorer
Old 02-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Sage User

Quote:
TVE does not support mouse navigation so that is the issue. It kinda works but like you've found navigation can be wonky sometimes..
I'll just use that HP remote. It's a great plugin.......Thanks
HDHR, Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800
1.5 TB USB SATA Drive
Old 03-06-2011, 12:25 AM
Sage Icon

More screnshots :)

Another screenshot to share with everyone. More refinement of the ui and panels... Let me know what everyone thinks.

One thing I'm considering doing with this tweaking of the ui is to get rid of the customization of the height of the group (left) table. with the right side layed out the way it is it doesn't lend itself to being shrunk very easliy (currently not customizable... the overall height of the episode table is customizable but not the rest of it). So since the right really isnt customizable in height I'm thinking that left side shouldn't be either. Also when the banners are only on for the highlighted episode you can still see lots of the background fanart...

Anyway let me know your thoughts (full size image also attached...)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TVE 110306.jpg (180.9 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg TVE 110306_th.jpg (57.3 KB, 745 views)
Check out TVExplorer
Old 03-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe View Post
Another screenshot to share with everyone. More refinement of the ui and panels... Let me know what everyone thinks.

One thing I'm considering doing with this tweaking of the ui is to get rid of the customization of the height of the group (left) table. with the right side layed out the way it is it doesn't lend itself to being shrunk very easliy (currently not customizable... the overall height of the episode table is customizable but not the rest of it). So since the right really isnt customizable in height I'm thinking that left side shouldn't be either. Also when the banners are only on for the highlighted episode you can still see lots of the background fanart...

Anyway let me know your thoughts (full size image also attached...)
Looking good Razrsharpe. I like the separation with the inset panel behind the group details/episode listing on the right and also like where you are going with the layout of the top with the description/poster.

Cheers,

J
Old 03-06-2011, 09:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Forgive me for the length of this post, razr, but I think it's necessary in order to "make my case". I'm still not big on showing the banner for only the highlighted show. It seems like "why bother?" at that point. To me, the banners are meant to add some character to the display; a "wow" factor, for lack of a better word (I know some people despise that word). By showing it only on the highlighted show, that's gone. Plus, how long are you really going to have the show highlighted to see that banner? By the time the banner displays, you're ready to hit OK and select an episode.

Additionally, I can pick out my shows very quickly just from the banner. Like this, I actually have to read the banners. I realize that sounds stupid or lazy, but going on "look" rather than text is nice. I think I can illustrate this "issue" better by relating it to movies. A text listing of movies is dull, isn't it? Isn't this why people love the wall view in SMM or Diamond? It's the same thing with music. Who doesn't want to see the album coverart when browsing their library? Would you want to see it only on the album you have highlighted? I know I wouldn't.

You know I'm a huge fan of TVE and I respect your work immensely, but I'm having a difficult time understanding the reasoning behind this.

If the reason is so that fanart can be more easily seen behind the group listing because you like a full vertical listing AND want to see fanart, then I'd suggest what someone else did and move it to the right page, rather than as a full background. Put it behind the entire right pane, behind just the info area on the top, or just behind the episode list.

I can't end this with all "bad" comments (even if it is just a single--albeit very long--comment), so I will say that I do really like the changes to the right side. I think it's a great use of the space.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 03-06-2011, 09:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
I'm still not big on showing the banner for only the highlighted show. It seems like "why bother?" at that point.....
Maybe it's an option.

The new Diamond does this too and offers both ways but honestly I like the two pane view in TVE (and in Malore) better than having to go into the episode listing like in Diamond.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorton View Post
Looking good Razrsharpe. I like the separation with the inset panel behind the group details/episode listing on the right and also like where you are going with the layout of the top with the description/poster.

Cheers,

J
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Maybe it's an option.

The new Diamond does this too and offers both ways but honestly I like the two pane view in TVE (and in Malore) better than having to go into the episode listing like in Diamond.

Gerry
not yet but it will be before long... see
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TVE 110306-1.jpg (168.0 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg TVE 110306-1_th.jpg (49.8 KB, 288 views)
Check out TVExplorer
Old 03-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Sage Icon

now for my harshest credit and what i think is one of TVE's biggest fans
Quote:
I'm still not big on showing the banner for only the highlighted show. It seems like "why bother?" at that point. To me, the banners are meant to add some character to the display; a "wow" factor, for lack of a better word (I know some people despise that word). By showing it only on the highlighted show, that's gone. Plus, how long are you really going to have the show highlighted to see that banner? By the time the banner displays, you're ready to hit OK and select an episode.

Additionally, I can pick out my shows very quickly just from the banner. Like this, I actually have to read the banners. I realize that sounds stupid or lazy, but going on "look" rather than text is nice. I think I can illustrate this "issue" better by relating it to movies. A text listing of movies is dull, isn't it? Isn't this why people love the wall view in SMM or Diamond? It's the same thing with music. Who doesn't want to see the album coverart when browsing their library? Would you want to see it only on the album you have highlighted? I know I wouldn't.
see I'm the complete opposite... i like lists that i can read... i find a page full of banners or a wall full of posters to be distracting, busy, hard to figure out what i want and what I'm selected on But I can appreciate that not everybody sees the world as I do so that's what options are for (see previous post )

Also just as a side note... the banner stays there when you browse over to the right to highlight a particular episode...

Quote:
If the reason is so that fanart can be more easily seen behind the group listing because you like a full vertical listing AND want to see fanart, then I'd suggest what someone else did and move it to the right page, rather than as a full background. Put it behind the entire right pane, behind just the info area on the top, or just behind the episode list.
I like the idea of putting it behind the info area... let me work that up

Quote:
I can't end this with all "bad" comments (even if it is just a single--albeit very long--comment), so I will say that I do really like the changes to the right side. I think it's a great use of the space.
phew... I'm glad... I know you're a really big fan of only displaying content on the bottom half of the screen but i think using up the full right side of the screen for info and the episode list is the way to go...
Check out TVExplorer
Old 03-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Put it behind the entire right pane, behind just the info area on the top, or just behind the episode list.
Quote:
I like the idea of putting it behind the info area... let me work that up
something like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TVE 110306-2.jpg (188.6 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg TVE 110306-2_th.jpg (56.2 KB, 492 views)
Check out TVExplorer
Old 03-06-2011, 03:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
something like this?
Very much what I was talking about a few days ago. Looks good, and I like how you extended the right pane up to include the info.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well, this certainly isn't scientific or anything, but I just had my wife look at the three examples that you have shown.

She likes the fanart in the background, as well as the poster and info on the top right. And her comment was that displaying all the banners makes it appear a little too busy.

Therefore her choice (which also happens to be mine ) is #1.

Grant
Old 03-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfMany View Post
Well, this certainly isn't scientific or anything, but I just had my wife look at the three examples that you have shown.

She likes the fanart in the background, as well as the poster and info on the top right. And her comment was that displaying all the banners makes it appear a little too busy.

Therefore her choice (which also happens to be mine ) is #1.

Grant
those
those are my favorites too... but thats why choice is good right ... I am kinda digging the background behind the info right now... probalby bc i just did it
Check out TVExplorer
Old 03-06-2011, 03:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
now for my harshest credit and what i think is one of TVE's biggest fans
Awww shucks.

Quote:
Also just as a side note... the banner stays there when you browse over to the right to highlight a particular episode...
I thought that was the case, actually. I do see you're going to provide an option for full banners, so I'm definitely happy about that.

Quote:
phew... I'm glad... I know you're a really big fan of only displaying content on the bottom half of the screen but i think using up the full right side of the screen for info and the episode list is the way to go...
Believe it or not, the only reason I display on the bottom half is because I like to actually see the fanart. Combine that desire with my banner preference and using only half the screen was my only option. Is it a waste of space? Oh yeah, but now you know why.

I do like the fanart behind the info area. You sure made quick work of that! The only issue I see is that now there's no place to put cover art for movies. You don't usually have cover art for TV shows until the first season is released on DVD, so that's not a big deal, but I imagine others might also miss the movie cover art. Just thinking out loud here... what about only showing cover art for movies? Would it be possible to hide the cover art box when showing TV content?

As long as I'm in the "pie in the sky" mode, how about folder or content locks (stock parental code entry would be fine), to keep the kiddies from viewing anything we don't want? I'm talking about fully concealing the fact that it's recorded, not just preventing playback. User categories, combined with ratings, should allow enough customizing for that.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Bah.. you shouldn't be looking at movies from TVE anyways... :-) No need for covers for tv.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-06-2011, 04:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Bah.. you shouldn't be looking at movies from TVE anyways... :-) No need for covers for tv.
Go back to your Malore menus. While I actually do agree, my personal movie collection is still in its infancy, so my movie content is mostly recordings. I prefer having everything in one place (or menu), so using TVE for everything makes sense to me... for now. As my personal movie collection keeps growing, something like Diamond will definitely be put to use.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
something like this?
I like this too. Especially the background art with the info in front of it. In almost any other theme or movie add-in where you have the option of turning on the background art there is almost way too much stuff in front of it to even get a good idea of what the background art it. Nice job.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:52 PM
SageTVaholic

I've been using tve since it's inception and I think all the screenshots are great. I don't like to be the devil's advocate, but some like the ability to shrink the left side (me included) with fanart as the background while others like the left from top to bottom with fanart in the top right corner with the info on top or a combination of the two. That as well as the ability to have banners show all the time or just for the show selected. My advice is to make them all options. Whether or not this would be easy to implement is another matter, but I think that would make everyone happy (as if that were possible).

Thoughts?
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Especially the background art with the info in front of it. In almost any other theme or movie add-in where you have the option of turning on the background art there is almost way too much stuff in front of it to even get a good idea of what the background art it. Nice job.

Gerry
thanks i think my favorite is still the list, banners only on the focused, full frame fanart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
My advice is to make them all options. Whether or not this would be easy to implement is another matter, but I think that would make everyone happy (as if that were possible).
See there's the kicker... making them all options makes for some very messy and complicated code (not that it isn't ridiculously complicated already )... but more importantly i think having an adjustable left side height will look silly if the right side is full height (which is currently not adjustable)... not to mention all the code for determining menu backgrounds, etc, etc, etc.

So here is what I am thinking regarding the browser/layout config... (all of the grouping, sorting, filtering, display options aren't going anywhere... and eventually will be much more robust )

Not Adjustable:
-Overall height of the left or right panels

Adjustable
-left vs. right panel width
-overall height of episode table relative to the right panel (maybe... all the screen shots show it at 50% ... and it might end up not being adjustable but for now lets assume it is...)
-number of groups in left panel
-number or episodes in right panel
-banners on none, all, or focused group
-font sizes (font style follows currently loaded theme)
-fanart background behind the whole menu or just behind the right info panel (video while playing bg will be in the same place i think)
-poster on/off
Check out TVExplorer

Last edited by razrsharpe; 03-09-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Sage Icon

And another screenie to share Group Dividers... right now its just for when sorting the groups by date... eventually I'll add alpha dividers as well ... the layout is not 100% complete and i want to make a different divider graphic but you get the idea... as always larger version is attached

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tve 110308.jpg (165.0 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg tve 110308_th.jpg (38.8 KB, 247 views)
Check out TVExplorer
Old 03-09-2011, 11:42 AM
SageTVaholic

I like the idea of the "date dividers", but what purpose does an alpha divider serve? Then, again, I could see it being a great visual aid when "jumping" to groups beginning with that letter and showing you that you're there. It'd be great if this were a prelude to such a "jump" feature.