SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by osx-addict View Post
...-- I'm using it on W7 Home Premium w/o issue along side Sage.

Interestingly enough I found that XBMC has a SageTV plugin available that will allow it to talk to the Sage server to get videos & whatnot..
It's funny you mention that, I was one of the first contributors with the original xbox's to get XBMC up an running (the whole mech warrior thing). I also got some help from one of our Sage users (Sorry I forgot who, from Canada I think, real nice guy) to get the original python scripts up and running. I have just helped another friend with the NextPvr backend install and we use a Pivos box with xbmc, and it works real nice with there latest release, he's using the Prime as his source, too many CopyOnce flag's to be usefull here in Long Island NY.

I am using the HDHR Prime and two HDHR's in my setup though. Sage has one HDHR and WMC has the other along with the Prime. And like you there side by side.

My only hope is that the Echo will be able to work as well as the 360 at this point. I had to lower my standards a little I guess. Perhaps the networking will be better and a little faster video processing would be real nice.

Right now I have an Avengers MKV (MakeMKV rip) running @~23mbps and AC3 working with the xbox, if they eventually support DTS passthrough it won't be that bad.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
Mone shipped today, Trust me I will post everything ... Are you not going to test?
Well I haven't got an invoice yet, so I guess it depends on what info comes to light between now and when I get an invoice. That said, I don't foresee any info coming out that will make the Echo an acceptable solution for me.

I suppose I'm lucky in that my provider provides either everything clear or Copy Freely so I'm not stuck with WMC. Sage actually functions as fine as a DVR it's the other functionality (specifically something without the bugs I've got with my HD300) I'm looking for. So if I can't get similar BD support on the Echo to my HD300, there's no point in me switching or even testing.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Well I haven't got an invoice yet, so I guess it depends on what info comes to light between now and when I get an invoice. That said, I don't foresee any info coming out that will make the Echo an acceptable solution for me.

I suppose I'm lucky in that my provider provides either everything clear or Copy Freely so I'm not stuck with WMC. Sage actually functions as fine as a DVR it's the other functionality (specifically something without the bugs I've got with my HD300) I'm looking for. So if I can't get similar BD support on the Echo to my HD300, there's no point in me switching or even testing.
Yeah, I see your point. If I had mostly copy freely and clear I most likely stand way back as well. Please keep us posted if you decide to beta. I would be interested in your feedback. Besides what we already know that is.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Oh, if I get one, people will know
Old 10-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

I haven't gotten my invoice yet either but probably won't buy one. Based on what we know, it seems pointless at least for me.

I'm building a new house and we are moving in in December. I had everyroom wired for ethernet on the assumption I would be using an echo in every room. Oh well... I guess I will just go DirecTV with a Genie and be done with it.

That saves me from building one less server in the house. I can finally focus on building out a Unraid server so I can get my meager 4TB of BD rips onto something better than external HD's.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Did you try your i7 test system as a SageTV client? I know you don't want to have to use pc clients, but I don't remember if you tried it or not.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Suppose I could, but I was under the impression Blu-ray rips (BDMV) were basically a non-starter on Client.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Wow, from AVS it sounds like they don't even have AC3 passthrough working on the Echo. This thing is beginning to sound like a Coupon Eligible Converter Box.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Suppose I could, but I was under the impression Blu-ray rips (BDMV) were basically a non-starter on Client.
My son plays Blu-ray rips all of the time on his client.. It's only a P4 machine but has a decent video card in it that handles the video instead of the CPU. Of course he is only 7 but he enjoys it..

Phil
HD-DVD Titles 166
DVD Titles - Too Many To Count..
Old 10-19-2012, 10:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
All mine are BDMV folder structure. Sage plays them, but there is no subtitle support, or automatic refresh rate change. I use fuzzy's external play plugin to launch MPC-HC to use with madVR and LAV decoders. Plays everything perfectly and the picture is fantastic. Seamless integration into sage is VERY simple. I play a bd, mpc opens, I push stop it closes back to sage. A normal EU would never know that it is happening.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Well maybe that's not quite right, my desktop is an i7 920 with an nVidia 9600GT, and I was never really happy with how Client ran (video performance wise) on that machine. I think I was using the Microsoft decoders (Win 7).

I haven't tried it on the new i7 3770k with HD4000 integrated graphics though.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well maybe that's not quite right, my desktop is an i7 920 with an nVidia 9600GT, and I was never really happy with how Client ran (video performance wise) on that machine. I think I was using the Microsoft decoders (Win 7).

I haven't tried it on the new i7 3770k with HD4000 integrated graphics though.
9600gt is so far behind what today's graphics cards are capable of it's sad. I have an 8800gt (same capability) and it is laughably sad how bad the video quality is compared to my regular HD intel graphics (which sucks). The AMD 6570 in my sig is fantastic when it comes to video quality. Decodes everything. Plenty of shaders for madVR. The only difference between what I have and the HD4000 is 23.976fps playback. The last thing I saw reported was that the issue was fixed, but no confirmation of that fact. Here is just about everything you need to know about how well the HD4000 performs.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Mine shipped today, Trust me I will post everything ... Are you not going to test?

And yes, sorry to those following this thread. I seem to have a habbit of getting side tracked
Looking forward to your updates.
Server: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L; Intel Core2Duo E5200; 4 GB DDR2 RAM; NVidia GeForce 9400GT; 6 tuners: Hauppauge HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM combo, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Hybrid QAM, HD Homerun Prime (using SageDCT); 3.06TB total space: Seagate 160 GB, Maxtor 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 400GB, Hitachi 2 TB
Extender: HD200
Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit
Old 10-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk6 View Post
Looking forward to your updates.
Me too, I don't know what to expect at this point. It seems very up in the air as to how and what the Echo can actually do at this point. It's very confusing over at AVS, not quite sure what to expect. Seems like basic HD is a challange. I can't imagine any company releaseing, even for beta, a device that can't do HD S&V.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:12 PM
SageTVaholic

I've got to admit that reading this thread has depressed me. I thought the WMC/Echo combination was a contender. Clearly I was wrong.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I've got to admit that reading this thread has depressed me. I thought the WMC/Echo combination was a contender. Clearly I was wrong.
Agreed. I was hoping for 80% of Sage + HD300's and instead it sounds like we are getting 20-30% at best....
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 10-19-2012, 02:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Right there with you. Even though I don't like wmc, my current hardware would be able to be used (except for the client pc's) and I could have nice little low powered extenders and would be set. Not sagetv of course, but it still sucks that they seem to be so tied down by MS.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
Right there with you. Even though I don't like wmc, my current hardware would be able to be used (except for the client pc's) and I could have nice little low powered extenders and would be set. Not sagetv of course, but it still sucks that they seem to be so tied down by MS.
Ditto ...

But they shouldn't be tied down by MS, it's an embedded device that they could add extra functionality to, pretty easily I should think. My only guess why they didn't is because of DRM. And then again this is a public beta and no 1080 support, and they want to release in November ... Does not make any sense.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Sage Icon

So I received my Echo yesterday. And I said I would post it's capabilities, but I can say that the reason there is not alot of information about is because it is a true beta. Not a public beta as most companies do just to get feedback on there product before a launch.

That being said, it wouldn't be fair to review the Echo's potential at this stage.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So I received my Echo yesterday. And I said I would post it's capabilities, but I can say that the reason there is not alot of information about is because it is a true beta. Not a public beta as most companies do just to get feedback on there product before a launch.

That being said, it wouldn't be fair to review the Echo's potential at this stage.
TBH that doesn't sound good. How can they launch the retail version in a month if it isn't even worth reviewing?