SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Going back to read my post, I realized I really didn't explain myself well enough, but it seems you two got the point! It's really unfortunately because I would have gladly paid a lot of cash to have the same setup I have for SageTV....
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 10-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
Going back to read my post, I realized I really didn't explain myself well enough, but it seems you two got the point! It's really unfortunately because I would have gladly paid a lot of cash to have the same setup I have for SageTV....
So would most of us.

A system that could support CableCard and do what the HD300 can do, would be worth a whole lot. Certainly a lot more then what Jeff and crew were charging.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Sage Icon

It seems like it has gotten really quiet. I would have expected to get continuous reports on how this thing is improving. Have they asked everyone to be quiet or is there just nothing good to report?
Old 10-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
... or is there just nothing good to report?
Still 720p
Still PCM 2.0

When thing's start to rival the xbox, I'll let everyone know.

I will say they are working very hard at trying to meet the specs ...

Last edited by Skybolt; 10-30-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:51 AM
SageTVaholic

You know, I still didn't get an invoice for an Echo. Not that I care, just means I haven't had to turn it down. I wonder if I disqualified myself with my tough comments about the initial state
Old 10-31-2012, 06:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
You know, I still didn't get an invoice for an Echo. Not that I care, just means I haven't had to turn it down. I wonder if I disqualified myself with my tough comments about the initial state
I never got mine either if it makes you feel any better.

Skybolt, how many people are posting on the Ceton Beta forums? Just curious on an estimate of the number of beta Echos that were shipped.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:10 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I wouldn't worry, I haven't exactly been the biggest supporter either. I think they initially stated 1000 beta's or something like that? I would say <50 betas. Or people just aren't posting. The beta's are not limited to the USA though. So I am not sure.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
I wouldn't worry, I haven't exactly been the biggest supporter either. I think they initially stated 1000 beta's or something like that? I would say <50 betas. Or people just aren't posting. The beta's are not limited to the USA though. So I am not sure.
Holy crap! 1000 to 50??

Man oh man. Talk about a punch to the gut if that is true for Ceton. They better start drumming up some interest in this thing quick or it won't come close to paying for itself.

I think the e-mail I got last Friday stated that they would have all the beta Echos out by this Friday (11/1). I tell ya, I don't see that happening either at this point. If judging from the slow-down on the AVS thread is any indication, the interest in this product has seriously wanned up to this point.

I really hope Ceton can do something here and I'm pulling for them. Lord knows the free market needs competition and they need to keep their hat in the ring. But from an outsider looking in, the whole thing looks messy...
Old 10-31-2012, 09:08 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggen View Post
... If judging from the slow-down on the AVS thread is any indication, the interest in this product has seriously wanned up to this point. ...
I think the slow down is the lack of information being posted, and not the actual interest. this shoudl have been a private beta with NDA's. JMO, and there wouldn't be such discourse in the product.

My opion is that they should have had NDA's and this would be a moot point. But they didn't and everyone is expecting this product to be further along then it actualy is. And thats where the disconnect is. The Echo is still in Beta, and it is moving slowly. That's not to say Ceton won't deliver what they said they would, it just means it going slower then expected.

I mean, one firmware revision can launch you way ahead and the next further behind and so on. That's the nature of beta's. As more features are introduced the more chances there are to break existing ones.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I think the slow down is the lack of information being posted, and not the actual interest. this shoudl have been a private beta with NDA's. JMO, and there wouldn't be such discourse in the product.
Out of curiosity, how active is the closed Ceton beta forum? AVS has gotten fairly quiet, and there's almost no activity over at TGB (perhaps partly due to a heavy-handed moderator).

Quote:
My opion is that they should have had NDA's and this would be a moot point. But they didn't and everyone is expecting this product to be further along then it actualy is. And thats where the disconnect is. The Echo is still in Beta, and it is moving slowly. That's not to say Ceton won't deliver what they said they would, it just means it going slower then expected.
I was mostly expecting the Echo to be further along considering they were recently projecting a release date in November. They haven't said that since the beta started, though, and I'm sure they'll miss that target. Unless there's a big firmware update just around the corner I'd be surprised if they can get it out before the end of the year (at least, if they want to release a stable, feature-complete product).

By the way, I haven't gotten my beta invoice yet either. I wonder what percentage of units they've actually sent out. It seems like there would be a lot more people on AVS with units. I'm still thinking about getting one. If they can get it to work well for TV, maybe I'd use that for TV and get some other devices (maybe a PCH, or a OpenELEC box) for streaming ripped media. If Ceton can't get them working properly, then I could return it after the beta period.

Last edited by reggie14; 10-31-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
Out of curiosity, how active is the closed Ceton beta forum? AVS has gotten fairly quiet, and there's almost no activity over at TGB (perhaps partly due to a heavy-handed moderator).
I would have to agree, STS over there is way to senseitve. The Ceton forum is pretty active on a new FW release and then dies down waiting for a new release.

Quote:
I was mostly expecting the Echo to be further along considering they were recently projecting a release date in November. They haven't said that since the beta started, though, and I'm sure they'll miss that target. Unless there's a big firmware update just around the corner I'd be surprised if they can get it out before the end of the year (at least, if they want to release a stable, feature-complete product).
I think we all were expecting things to be further along. Not everyone is being quite about that fact either(Ceton forums). Personally I don't see a Nov. release either, but you never know, the magic code can be one release away.

Right now, still 720p and PCM 2.0 audio.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 AM
SageTVaholic

I posted this on AVS, but Windows Media Center seems to be in the same situation as BeyondTV and SageTV, effectively abandoned by it's owner, but with guide data continuing for some indefinite period.

Well except for the fact that SageTV is still getting minor updates (Youtube/Weather) and well you can't buy SageTV new anymore.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I posted this on AVS, but Windows Media Center seems to be in the same situation as BeyondTV and SageTV, effectively abandoned by it's owner, but with guide data continuing for some indefinite period.

Well except for the fact that SageTV is still getting minor updates (Youtube/Weather) and well you can't buy SageTV new anymore.
Yep, the only benifit of going to WMC, is the fact that MS is still selling WMC for win 8 as an upgrade, but we'll see how long that last's for. Exect for plug-in support, that will end as well in the comming months I would suspect.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I've got to admit that reading this thread has depressed me. I thought the WMC/Echo combination was a contender. Clearly I was wrong.
And it hasn't gotten much better since. Quite depressing.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
And it hasn't gotten much better since. Quite depressing.
On the bright side, it has inspired me to start writing Sage plugins again. I might as well keep improving on what I have because there is nothing better in sight.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:05 AM
SageTVaholic

On that thought, anyone have any thoughts on if the issues I have with my HD300 are just my particular unit, would a different one work better?

Not that I really need another Sage Extender, I've got "spares" already :O
Old 11-01-2012, 07:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
On that thought, anyone have any thoughts on if the issues I have with my HD300 are just my particular unit, would a different one work better?

Worth a try. I have to think that many people on here stream HD audio, so if it was a widespread issue you would see more about it.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

I just lost one of my extenders, Audio started cycleing in and out then over time my HDMI started flickering. I swapped with another unit I had, but this one is now only component and TOS, I hope from what I have read, haven't tried it yet.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

How is this echo with the mkv support compared with the xbox? is as bad as the xbox or not that bad? Does it plays MKV's with subs embedded?
Old 11-03-2012, 05:12 AM
Sage Icon

The echo is available for pre-order on Newegg, they must be getting ready to wrap up the beta:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-15706003-L08A

p.s. Release date is shown as 11/30/2012.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls