SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:20 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
... they must be getting ready to wrap up the beta...

p.s. Release date is shown as 11/30/2012.
That would be news to me. Still only 720p out and PCM 2.0 Audio. Also Still in Beta.

As for MKV's, I am considering getiing a 4gb slim on black friday.

EDIT: I should point out that I fully intend to use the Echo when it's ready though.

Last edited by Skybolt; 11-03-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:23 AM
SageTVaholic

I do not see what advantage this has over the xbox 360 slim other than it is smaller... Prices about the same and at least with the xbox you can play games etc... No Wi-Fi no DVD player.. is there anything the echo does that the XBOX doesn't

Last edited by nyplayer; 11-03-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I do not see what advantage this has over the xbox 360 slim other than it is smaller... Prices about the same and at least with the xbox you can play games etc... No Wi-Fi no DVD player.. is there anything the echo does that the XBOX doesn't
This has basically been the entire point those of us have been making that are seriously dissatisfied with this product.

There really isn't much else to be said. I'd rather have a house full of Xbox Slims than this thing if it stays in it's current state. Now if in the future it can begin playing full BD bitrate video in multiple containers and pass through DTS-MA then I'll be the first in line to buy one.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I totaly agree with you. What Ceton had promised and what they are going to deliver, at this point seems to be two very differant things. With less then a month to release it is still in an un-usable state. IMO.

As to where this is going to go with future FW releases is anyones guess ...
Old 11-03-2012, 04:13 PM
SageTVaholic

I ended up getting my beta invoice today, and I accepted it. I was pretty torn, though. I'm not real pleased with it, although I have some hope it will be OK. I think they'll probably get high-bitrate MKVs working when people have the right splitters installed. Though, I don't think they'll ever support subtitles, so that's going to be a problem.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
I ended up getting my beta invoice today, and I accepted it. I was pretty torn, though. I'm not real pleased with it, although I have some hope it will be OK. I think they'll probably get high-bitrate MKVs working when people have the right splitters installed. Though, I don't think they'll ever support subtitles, so that's going to be a problem.
http://cetoncorp.com/blog/more-details-on-ceton-echo/

That should answer alot, and Welcome aboard!
Old 11-03-2012, 04:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
http://cetoncorp.com/blog/more-details-on-ceton-echo/

That should answer alot, and Welcome aboard!
I saw that when it was posted. By the time they posted that we pretty much figured that stuff out. Though, I think they're being pretty disingenuous about the online streaming. We're not going to see the major supscription-based services move to HTML5 for actual video streaming until there's more of a standard for doing DRM. Netflix/Hulu/AmazonVOD aren't coming to Echo unless Ceton can get them to develop an app.

Do you know anything about subs? I never expected PGS support, although I wanted it. SRT support seems slightly more likely, but Ceton has never responded to questions about subtitle support (only closed captioning).
Old 11-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
... Do you know anything about subs? I never expected PGS support, although I wanted it. SRT support seems slightly more likely, but Ceton has never responded to questions about subtitle support (only closed captioning).
I am not very knowladgable on subs, but the xbox when muted puts up CC, and supoorts some subs. The Echo at this point does none of these right now. I am not sure what to expect from this whole Echo thing, except I think it might make a great bedroom extender for now.

My new plan is to build a fanless HTPC that will also serve as my main 7MC server and just leave that running and use extenders for my remote locations, outside, bedroom kitchen office etc. All this to support CableCard and have HD tv... Makes me wonder how important live(recorded) tv really is.

If there is a movie or show which has the subs you referance, I will gladdyly test for you tomorrow if you like.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If there is a movie or show which has the subs you referance, I will gladdyly test for you tomorrow if you like.
My understanding is that the Xbox360 doesn't support subtitles, so I doubt the Echo will. If you want to test it you could go to opensubtitles.org and download something to test. In theory an embedded subtitle might work (as opposed to a separate *.srt file), but I doubt it.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Sage Icon

I tried some "Dexter" episodes, and nothing. CC and SAP work on live tv but you have to manually turn them on, as the mute function does not work yet.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Without digging through this entire thread, what's the big picture on the Ceton extender? Will it come anywhere close to what Sage extenders do?
Old 11-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
Without digging through this entire thread, what's the big picture on the Ceton extender? Will it come anywhere close to what Sage extenders do?
Well, digging through this page would answer that, but in short expect standard MCX at release. Maybe passthrough.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well, I don't actually have my beta unit yet, but objectively I think you'd have to say the answer to your question is likely "yes." But, it still might fall short in enough areas that you wouldn't find it acceptable.

Right now it is quite limited (720p output, stereo PCM audio output, apparently finicky support for high-bitrate H.264 files). But, I'm relatively confident they'll get AC3 and DTS passthrough working before or soon after launch. I think they'll probably get unofficial MKV support working pretty well too. Some people are already having decent luck. DTS decoding is a no-go for now, which is confusing because Ceton and DTS previously issued a joint press release...

But, no DVD/blu-ray folder rips, and no ISO support either. I highly doubt either will come in a future update. Native resolution switching is also highly unlikely. I'm not holding out a lot of hope for subtitle support either, which might be a deal-breaker for me. (at least, I'd need another streaming box)

Last edited by reggie14; 11-04-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
IMO, no, at least not if you're using the "full capabilities" of the HD300, most notably DVD/BD rips with subtitles, and HBR audio.

I declined my beta invite (when they sent me an invoice) because IMO it's become clear that their goal is to basically to be just another MCX and they're having a surprising (and disappointing) time even getting that far.

I was really hoping the Echo would change the WMC MCX landscape, but it's become clear that it won't. IMO the Echo should be a $99 or maybe even $79 piece of hardware, not $179.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I was really hoping the Echo would change the WMC MCX landscape, but it's become clear that it won't. IMO the Echo should be a $99 or maybe even $79 piece of hardware, not $179.
I agree with you there. $179 seems fairly ridiculous.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:22 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Well, I don't actually have my beta unit yet, but objectively I think you'd have to say the answer to your question is likely "yes." But, it still might fall short in enough areas that you wouldn't find it acceptable. ...
Maybe after release. But as you point out, no native folder support for DVD/BD. I think that alone is enough to say it's not close. For MKV support is limited to ~10mbps. BD rip's can't be played un lessreally compressed.

The processor seems to be up for discussion, it's not clear if it is a dual or quad core ARM-SOC which really would answer the question. I believe (IMO) that a dual core ARM especially an SOC will have alot of trouble with BD rips, since the SOC has a bit of over head.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I agree with you there. $179 seems fairly ridiculous.
If it was what we all thought it was, then that's a reasonable price, but for nothing but a small, feature limited MCX, yes, it's rather crazy.

Quote:
The processor seems to be up for discussion, it's not clear if it is a dual or quad core ARM-SOC which really would answer the question. I believe (IMO) that a dual core ARM especially an SOC will have alot of trouble with BD rips, since the SOC has a bit of over head.
I believe Ceton confirmed it's a Freescale i.MX6, they indicated it was the Dual, but could not confirm that.

I'm continually amazed by the apparent poor organization, lack of good information, if not outright misinformation, that surrounds this whole Echo thing.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
... I believe Ceton confirmed it's a Freescale i.MX6, they indicated it was the Dual, but could not confirm that.
Yes, but that is the family name of the processors, Which include Single, Dual and Quad core ARM's with SOC's in them.
Eric never confirmed which sub set the processor is.

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...e=IMX6X_SERIES

The series of processors are impressive though, even for an ARM.

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32b...SFS.pdf?fpsp=1

Quote:
I'm continually amazed by the apparent poor organization, lack of good information, if not outright misinformation, that surrounds this whole Echo thing.
You probibly should have accepted the invite, just to be able to read the forums. Only a few will back up Ceton at this point. And I think you know who they are based on AVS post's. It amazes me how people feel compeled to stick up for chaos and think it's great to be apart of it.

Last edited by Skybolt; 11-05-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
You probibly should have accepted the invite, just to be able to read the forums. Only a few will back up Ceton at this point. And I think you know who they are based on AVS post's. It amazes me how people feel compeled to stick up for chaos and think it's great to be apart of it.
I would have if I thought I'd actually use the thing. But in the state it's in, and considering I already dismantled my WMC machine (installed OpenELEC on it), there was basically no chance of me using it, and that seems like a waste of my money (even if I would get it back in a month) and their resources.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
.. I already dismantled my WMC machine (installed OpenELEC on it. ...
Cool, you should start a thread on this, I am considering doing this as well., along with a WMC HTPC in my HT, moving it from the VM.