SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
I'm trying to create some test files to see what the Echo can and can't play back. Do you know of a good way to create some H.264 and VC-1 test files in a container format natively supported by WMC? I'm having trouble finding a VC-1 encoder and remuxers to WTV or MPG.
MS has a few apps that will covert to vc-1 (wmv advanced profile). I wrote a tool a few years ago that does it too (dvrms2towmvhd).

WMC supports mp4 well so that's an option (via handbrake). You can use todvrms to covert that to wtv if you want.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Sage Icon

Ok, so there are two reviews on Amazon from 11/28 and a mistake from the 26th.

My Opinion is the latest FW release by Ceton is finally Beta worth and should be used to find defects at this point, certainly not RC material. And unless my unit has hardware defects, those with a high level of patience should only attempt usng it.

While I am not going to return my Echo, I am going to wait for another FW update to use it. Last night was painful at best.

And talking of puting ICS on this device when the rest of it is not working correctly is just plain crazy. Unless you don't know that ICS is there, it will be just another complication. JMO, but any sort of a dual boot won't help anyone, just complicate it.

Why they can't focus on getting a stable usable device to the GP first is beyond me.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
Ok, so there are two reviews on Amazon from 11/28 and a mistake from the 26th.

My Opinion is the latest FW release by Ceton is finally Beta worth and should be used to find defects at this point, certainly not RC material. And unless my unit has hardware defects, those with a high level of patience should only attempt usng it.

While I am not going to return my Echo, I am going to wait for another FW update to use it. Last night was painful at best.

And talking of puting ICS on this device when the rest of it is not working correctly is just plain crazy. Unless you don't know that ICS is there, it will be just another complication. JMO, but any sort of a dual boot won't help anyone, just complicate it.

Why they can't focus on getting a stable usable device to the GP first is beyond me.
I am really not 100% certain, as I am waiting on the sidelines hoping this turns into an acceptable replacement for Sage. Would it be that impossible to use ICS as the primary OS, it is my understanding (maybe wrong) that previous extenders from HP etc, ran linux and that the MCX protocol requires only and OS that is RDP capable.

So isn't it possible that ICS will be the OS and MCX protocol used to communicate with the WMC server?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguebert View Post
... So isn't it possible that ICS will be the OS and MCX protocol used to communicate with the WMC server?
That is exactly how it should be, much like XBMC will run on ICS. But there was talk of dual booting and not using ICS as an os but a streaming option. I think the Echo is running on a flavor of linux for ICS to even be discussed, so if Ceton brings the "Experience" into the MCx interface it would be awesome, but if not, a bit of a disaser, I think.

They mentioned the Playstore, so that leads me to believe seperate os's. I could be wrong, thats just an assumption on my part.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
So isn't it possible that ICS will be the OS and MCX protocol used to communicate with the WMC server?
Yes. That is a possible way that it could work.

The MCX is a combination of RDP and sideband ES delivery. Any OS that can do that should be able to act as a MCX.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I am really not 100% certain, as I am waiting on the sidelines hoping this turns into an acceptable replacement for Sage. Would it be that impossible to use ICS as the primary OS, it is my understanding (maybe wrong) that previous extenders from HP etc, ran linux and that the MCX protocol requires only and OS that is RDP capable.

It seems awful late in the game to be changing the OS your MCX runs on.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
It seems awful late in the game to be changing the OS your MCX runs on.
What OS does the Echo run?
Old 11-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
What OS does the Echo run?
I inadvertenly possed that question on the Ceton forums, by asking if the SOC was win embedded based, and was told it absolutly is not. So that only leaves some flavor of Linux?

from the Frescale site:

"Broad operating system support includes Android™, Linux® and Windows® Embedded (via third-party)."

If it's Android, it's still a flavor of the Linux kernal.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I inadvertenly possed that question on the Ceton forums, by asking if the SOC was win embedded based, and was told it absolutly is not. So that only leaves some flavor of Linux?

from the Frescale site:

"Broad operating system support includes Android™, Linux® and Windows® Embedded (via third-party)."

If it's Android, it's still a flavor of the Linux kernal.
My point was that the OS the Echo is currently running isn't publicly known. Also, as you note the Freescale SOC (i.MX6) in the box supports Android.

There's a lot we don't know about how it will work, and what specific benefits it will bring. All we have is speculation at this point.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Well if they're adding Android ICS, that implies it's not Android ICS currently. They could always just have to expose it, guess we'll find out at some point.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
My point was that the OS the Echo is currently running isn't publicly known. Also, as you note the Freescale SOC (i.MX6) in the box supports Android.
Understood, What we don't know is whether the chip is a single. dual or quad core Cortex -A9. I never got an answer on that either.

We're splitting hairs here. Android is just a shell OS running on top of Linux. Linux also supports MCx as you have pointed out.

Quote:
There's a lot we don't know about how it will work, and what specific benefits it will bring. All we have is speculation at this point.
So, So true. But isn't that a part of what forums are about, to discuss and speculate? Because unless a rep from Ceton steps in, that's all it wil ever be.

And to be honest, I don't think they know where this is going. The Echo project has drastically changed at somepoint form there original design and I think it just came backtogether very recently. Which accounts for the state everything is in. JMO, obviously.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Understood, What we don't know is whether the chip is a single. dual or quad core Cortex -A9. I never got an answer on that either.
Ceton hasn't said, but I have a pretty good guess after seeing it naked

Quote:
So, So true. But isn't that a part of what forums are about, to discuss and speculate? Because unless a rep from Ceton steps in, that's all it wil ever be.
There are different kinds of speculation. Generally I don't think it's useful to engage in the wild, uninformed variety. It can be entertaining, but often leads to an unproductive disconnect b/w expectations and reality as well as muddled recollections around capability (or lack thereof) or how complex things work.

Quote:
And to be honest, I don't think they know where this is going. The Echo project has drastically changed at somepoint form there original design and I think it just came backtogether very recently. Which accounts for the state everything is in. JMO, obviously.
I disagree, but it's hard for me to comment further here.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
The SOC changed (I need to find out if it supports HBR), but two things should be clear: they were unwilling to commit to features like HBR support, codecs, etc., and a lot was unknown.
Please find out and let us know if you can. If this thing is never going to support blu-ray rips (MKVs) I will stop wasting my time.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
Please find out and let us know if you can. If this thing is never going to support blu-ray rips (MKVs) I will stop wasting my time.
According to the product brief the i.MX6 supports HDMI 1.4.

It specifically calls out 3D video support, but doesn't mention HBR. HDMI 1.4 includes that feature though, not sure why it's left out.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Ceton hasn't said, but I have a pretty good guess after seeing it naked
Eric has said he can't recall, but htinks it is a dual core? Can you comment on that?

Quote:
There are different kinds of speculation. Generally I don't think it's useful to engage in the wild, uninformed variety. It can be entertaining, but often leads to an unproductive disconnect b/w expectations and reality as well as muddled recollections around capability (or lack thereof) or how complex things work.
Not sure how to take that, but I don't think anything said to this point is that exagerated or wild. The echo has changed drasticaly since your write up.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Eric has said he can't recall, but htinks it is a dual core? Can you comment on that?
I'd rather save comments for the review, took some pictures last night.

Quote:
Not sure how to take that, but I don't think anything said to this point is that exagerated or wild.
I wasn't just speaking to this thread, although it seems that many of the "problems*" w/ the Echo are with the unreasonable expectations sourced from unknown origins. Informed speculation is fine, but IMO unfounded speculation presented as fact (term is used loosely here, can't think of a better word off hand) is an issue because not everyone who stumbles upon it will be able to discern the difference.

* that is not to say that there aren't legitimate stability issues w/ the Echo

Quote:
The echo has changed drasticaly since your write up.
The form factor has changed, but the current capability is consistent with what I was originally told.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The form factor has changed, but the current capability is consistent with what I was originally told.
We were led to believe by one of the Ceton guys that Echo would have pretty good support for imported media from various "Internet sources" (as I believed he worded it). Many of us interpreted that to mean good container and A/V decoder support. I now understand the container issue is more complicated than that, but that doesn't explain the problems people are having with H.264 and VC-1 video and 1080i playback.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
We were led to believe by one of the Ceton guys that Echo would have pretty good support for imported media from various "Internet sources" (as I believed he worded it). Many of us interpreted that to mean good container and A/V decoder support.
Where, and are you sure that wasn't when using a Q?

Quote:
I now understand the container issue is more complicated than that, but that doesn't explain the problems people are having with H.264 and VC-1 video and 1080i playback.
Support for non TV container formats sucks on MCX. It is an artifact of the implementation.

Like I said previously, there are issues and I'm not apologizing for that at all but the is a distinction b/w real issues and unmet, unrealistic expectations.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Where, and are you sure that wasn't when using a Q?
Eric from Ceton posted the following message on AVS in February: "My test matrix includes making sure that video content from *cough*popular internet sources *cough* plays properly."

I do see your point. I think I originally had unrealistic expectations given the limitations of WMC. I didn't realize until recently how splitters worked in WMC. I just assumed WMC was streaming the file like Sage does. Still, I think the Echo has a long way to go. The problems with 1080i playback and high-bitrate videos appear to be entirely Ceton's fault. The fact that two major features- 1080i/p output and bitstreaming- came out a couple days before release indicate the thing still isn't that well tested. It really looks like they were/are rushing the thing to release. I don't think they did what they intended to do in the beta. I thought they wanted to get the Echo in the hands of people running different kinds of hardware/software combinations, playing back different media, and identify bugs that they wouldn't ordinarily detect in a lab. Instead it seemed like they were playing catch-up with bugs they either knew about or should have known about.

Given the hardware that's available today, I don't see why it should have been unreasonable to expect nearly perfect playback of 1080i material and pretty decent support for high-bitrate video (given proper container support).
Old 11-29-2012, 04:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I disagree, but it's hard for me to comment further here.
I smell an NDA

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.