SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
Any likelihood Ceton may eventually write their own server software? Once they get a decent install base for the hardware extenders, switching everyone to different server software might not be too difficult, especially if that was your only option as a consumer.
That is what the ceton Q is suppose to be a complete built in Server. From my understanding it will offer many benefits to the Echo extender not available in the basic WMC extender mode and will bypass allot of the limitations of WMC. That's my understanding at least could be wrong.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Maybe they should hire some of the former Sage employees since their works doesn't seem to be going anywhere with GOOG.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Too bad Ceton didn't buy out SageTV...
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
Too bad Ceton didn't buy out SageTV...
Too bad Google didn't buy Ceton, and leave SageTv alone ...

Last edited by Skybolt; 07-17-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
Too bad Google didn't by Ceton, and leave SageTv alone ...
+10000000000

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 07-17-2012, 03:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
Same here ... Maybe if stanger declines one of use will be his replacement
Well you're not going to get my invite
Old 07-17-2012, 03:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Just use it. Maybe it will actually be what you're looking for? Plus, I want to see if it can do 23.976fps material properly, and I know you are one of the few around here that that matters to. I could also be completely wrong...
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:15 PM
SageTVaholic

That's what I meant, I'm using it, I accepted the offer I actually offered/asked to get two.

One of the reps (the one running the beta) finally got a chance to stop by AVS and clarified that we'd get more info before actually giving out credit card info, but also that we'd have the option to return it for a refund within 30 days of the official release (if I read the post properly) if we weren't happy with it. The return thing I wasn't expecting but the rest is what I figured they "meant", but it was good to hear it confirmed.

Yeah, I'm hoping for things like discrete IR codes and native resolution switching (especially if I break down and get a Lumagen Radiance XE ). If it can do that, plus some form of un-recompressed Blu-ray audio/video, I think I'll be set.

I'm rather excited to try it out, though I would be somewhat surprised if it does native resolution switching since that seems to be somewhat rare (though should be "relatively" easy software to implement).

Now I need to setup a 7MC machine and get a bit familiar with 7MC so I'm not a total Media Center noob when I get my Echo. Good thing I was an idiot a couple weeks ago and built that DQ77KB/i7-3770s/16GB RAM/1TB HDD/Lian Li PC-Q05 machine
Old 07-18-2012, 07:16 AM
SageTVaholic

It will be interesting to see how the echo's turn out.

Sweet little pc you've put together. I've always wondered if a dedicated video processor was REALLY worth it. Maybe someday I'll get one just to satisfy my curiosity.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Glad to hear it!

I can't wait for your feedback, that's probably beter than if I were testing it myself. Atleast I know you're standards

Last edited by Skybolt; 07-18-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:41 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
... I've always wondered if a dedicated video processor was REALLY worth it. ...
Oh, it's worth it alright. But 7MC doesn't need it if your using extenders only. I have 7MC in a VM, which basicly has no video support at all.

But if your using 7MC at the tv, then I think it would be awesome. At least from my limited experience.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:09 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjoe View Post
I'm not sure that's accurate - ms has to support it until the EOL for windows 7, but because it's not packaged with windows 8, it might not be tied to it.
From all I've read, WMC isn't included in the package with Win8, but it's an add-on you can purchase for an existing Win8 install (although it looks like it's going to be a free add-on at least initially). With the same interface on all of their devices with Win8 and the integration that's going to be there between the PC, Xbox & Winmo phones, it doesn't make sense to me to drop WMC, maybe do a complete redesign to make it look more like the new interface, but not dump it.

That being said, I didn't get a beta invite either .
Old 07-22-2012, 02:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That's what I meant, I'm using it, I accepted the offer I actually offered/asked to get two.
Did you ever get a response to that? I got an invite today and was wondering the same thing.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Nope no response, though I'm not really expecting to hear anything until closer to the ship date.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:30 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
Did you ever get a response to that? I got an invite today and was wondering the same thing.
I can't believe it, I received my beta invite yesterday. I guess enough people didn't respond so they sent out round two?

I am going to do the same thing, offer to beta two units as well.

EDIT: They said that they would send a final email in September, just for for the beta begins.

Last edited by Skybolt; 07-23-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:23 AM
SageTVaholic

I still did not get an invite If anybody who did get an invite is able to get two units I'd like the opportunity to buy one from you. (Assuming it's not against Ceton's rules.) PM me if interested.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Stanger, good to hear you will be beta testing. I have all the same interests about the capabilities that you do. Let us know. Don't forget to check forced subtitles support in BR rips too!

Have they given any guidance on how long the Beta period is expected to last (assuming no major bugs pop up of course.) I don't have time to put towards beta testing a system, but I am interested in knowing when they plan for production.

That week between Christmas and New Year's would be ideal if I had to do a full house media overhaul...

-Suntan
Old 07-27-2012, 09:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

That week between Christmas and New Year's would be ideal if I had to do a full house media overhaul...

-Suntan
I think they hope/plan to be to market by holidays but as will all tech you never know and delays happen.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

Has anyone gotten a chance to look at the Ceton companion app? I got it yesterday (for ios) and... Yeesh... It doesn't exactly make me very optimistic about Echo prospects.

Granted, I don't really know much about WMC, and I set it up without a tuner (I only have one HD-PVR), but it basically didn't do anything for me. I couldn't seem to get it to see imported videos and it just generally doesn't look very impressive. Clearly designed for WP (why??). Also the server component seemed to cause WMC to crash. Yay.
"Recordings": "2TB SATA",
"Imports": "2x 4TB USB",
"Clients": ["HD300", "HD200", "SageTVClient"]}
Old 09-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjoe View Post
Has anyone gotten a chance to look at the Ceton companion app? I got it yesterday (for ios) and... Yeesh... It doesn't exactly make me very optimistic about Echo prospects.

Granted, I don't really know much about WMC, and I set it up without a tuner (I only have one HD-PVR), but it basically didn't do anything for me. I couldn't seem to get it to see imported videos and it just generally doesn't look very impressive. Clearly designed for WP (why??). Also the server component seemed to cause WMC to crash. Yay.
Yes, I think it isn't bad for what is. And it is an alternate way to control your main PC and any extenders. It is not a remote extender in anyway like Remote Potato is. That being said, it doese need some skinning options.

Your crash is probably due to no tunners being configured. Just a guess though.
EDIT: I just read the Ceton FAQ and it supports not having a tunner installed. You might want to post your issue over at:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=63

EDIT: I should add that I got it for Android

Last edited by Skybolt; 09-07-2012 at 01:13 PM.