SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Well I guess that's that. If it's not even going to support DTS, I can stop reading the Echo thread on AVS. I wish they would have posted that a bit sooner, it would have preempted a lot of unnecessary questions and speculation. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think this thing will do well at $179 if it's just a basic MCX.

Last edited by stanger89; 10-17-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Sage Icon

And it looks like BD playback won't be happening either since it's a MCX.
I am still holding on to see what happens, I just paid for my beta.

If this doesn't workout, what then?
I am NOT going back to Satellite, worst reception in my area, every time it rained, no picture.

Tivo then? Just the same as 7MC I think. Only if two 7MC boxes could co-exist 7MC might still be viable then. One could be an extender and setup with little or no moving parts.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Well Sage still works fine (DVR wise) for me, so maybe I'll give OpenElec + SageTV plugin a try on my spare i7 3770k machine. I had OpenElec running for a while and it was pretty cool. Need to find a remote (receiver) for that though.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Sage Icon

Too bad that couldn't run a version 7MC. I am stuck with 7MC for Tv. Not happy about that. But with what the FCC just ruled on, it looks like CableCard is the only route or use thier painfully slow DVR system (back end recording no local HD).

I will most likely keep my Sage server up and running until it dies and only Use 7MC for the HT ... Not the way I wanted to go. Maybe my Echo experience will turn into something. ...
Old 10-17-2012, 01:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Well Sage still works fine (DVR wise) for me, so maybe I'll give OpenElec + SageTV plugin a try on my spare i7 3770k machine. I had OpenElec running for a while and it was pretty cool. Need to find a remote (receiver) for that though.
I tested OpenElec with my e450 box and it was nice and fast. I used a WMC remote without issue. It was RF too, so that was nice. I think you said you use a URC system in the past (I remember random things) so you could use an IR WMC dongle (funny word) and be good to go.

OpenElec worked VERY well on that little underpowerd box so I think your i7 system will fly. HDMI audio is kind of a pain, but easy enough with a few min of tweaking. One thing, I don't know if OpenElec supports HD audio yet. Something to keep in mind.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
But with what the FCC just ruled on, it looks like CableCard is the only route or use thier painfully slow DVR system (back end recording no local HD).
I'm just not sure how much that FCC ruling will make a difference. We are only talking about clear QAM after all, right? Aren't those typically local channels that you could get with an antenna anyway if the cable companies were to encrypt them?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Aren't those typically local channels that you could get with an antenna anyway if the cable companies were to encrypt them?
Not necessarily -- OTA reception issues being what they are vs a signal in your home...
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 10-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggen View Post
I'm just not sure how much that FCC ruling will make a difference. We are only talking about clear QAM after all, right? Aren't those typically local channels that you could get with an antenna anyway if the cable companies were to encrypt them?
Yes, but that asumes that you can get all of the channels via antenna. Not every one can. Like me ...
Old 10-17-2012, 03:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes, but that asumes that you can get all of the channels via antenna. Not every one can. Like me ...
Geeze dude, it sounds like you have to have a wired connection for everything. No OTA, no satellite. That's how I get everything (with the exception of internet). I couldn't imagine having TW cable or U-verse. Yuck. I feel for you.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
I tested OpenElec with my e450 box and it was nice and fast. I used a WMC remote without issue. It was RF too, so that was nice. I think you said you use a URC system in the past (I remember random things) so you could use an IR WMC dongle (funny word) and be good to go.
Know a good one? There seem to be a bunch out there and lots of them seem to have quirks. Doesn't seem you can buy the Microsoft ones anymore.

Quote:
OpenElec worked VERY well on that little underpowerd box so I think your i7 system will fly. HDMI audio is kind of a pain, but easy enough with a few min of tweaking. One thing, I don't know if OpenElec supports HD audio yet. Something to keep in mind.
I had it running at one time, but then sort of got distracted by WMC/Echo, so I killed the OpenElec and put Windows 7 on. Now that that's out, I'll probably toss OE back on and play some more.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggen View Post
It depends where you live. My dad is about 50 miles from the closer towers. Luckily he has a tower from the pre-cable days, just needs a new antenna and amp, and someone that can climb it. Best thing is, he has 3 cities in the 50-70 mile range, and if you can get a good 50 mile picture, you can a 70. If he did that all new, it'd be about $1000 for a good system, as is, it'll be about a $300-$400 "fix"

I think a lot of people forget there are still a lot of people outside the "rabbit ear" range of most TV towers.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 10-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
Geeze dude, it sounds like you have to have a wired connection for everything. No OTA, no satellite. That's how I get everything (with the exception of internet). I couldn't imagine having TW cable or U-verse. Yuck. I feel for you.
Thanks, It does suck. People talke about cutting the cord, I think my house would deflate ...

Last edited by Skybolt; 10-17-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Know a good one? There seem to be a bunch out there and lots of them seem to have quirks. Doesn't seem you can buy the Microsoft ones anymore.
http://www.amazon.com/Azend-MediaGat.../dp/B00123UGWQ
Old 10-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Sage Icon

They apparently just added VC-1 support in the latest beta firmware so there may be some hope for this thing yet...
Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, but despite a press release that they'd support DTS (from way back), they sound uncertain that they'll ever get even DTS in, so that, plus not even supporting 1080p at "launch" they just really don't seem interested in producing a high-end product.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Sage Icon

I know, I posted a link to the press release on the previous page . DTS is big for me too but there was never a mention of VC-1 and they added it so I'm holding on to (small) hope for DTS.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:55 PM
SageTVaholic

I guess for me, it's as much as anything the IMO amateur, poorly planned, poorly organized launch and, sorry state of the product at this point. It just doesn't seem like they know what they're doing.

I broke down and posted on AVS, got suckered in by a misunderstading of 1080i, but then a comment that it shouldn't be compared to Sage.

If you compare the Echo beta launch to the HD100 beta launch, the HD100 was (IIRC and this was a long time ago) basically complete when the beta testers got it. It could pass DD and DTS, decode VC1, H.264, MPEG2. You could pick resolutions, I think it had native output switching, it could play DVDs. SageTV knew what it could do and what it was planned to support (like max bitrates/codec profiles in addition to features).

In contrast the Echo has sketchy/confusing specs, semi-conflicting information, a product launched in a relatively laughable state. Seriously output resolution isn't even selectable? That would seem to be one of the first (and easiest) things to get working. And now there's VC1 support which wasn't anywhere on any spec list we were given. Surely someone knew they were going to put that in three days ago (or whatever) when they released the "final" specs?

Yeah, it's a beta, but this seems like a proof of concept, not even an alpha at this point. Sure the Extender stuff works, but apparently they licensed that code form Microsoft so they didn't even do that part....
Old 10-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Sage Icon

I agree with all of that and have expressed many of those same thoughts all along (even starting back when their promised "updates" turned out to be just the date of the next "update"). The problem is that thanks to Google there really aren't many options.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:29 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
... I broke down and posted on AVS, got suckered in by a misunderstading of 1080i, but then a comment that it shouldn't be compared to Sage. ...
I think I might have been that person, Just to clear things up, I agree with just about all that has been said by everyone. Especially your views on what you expect from the Echo. I have the same needs for my HT.

I think trying to comare anything to what sage is/was turning into or is, is next to impossible. It does so much that others don't. WMC especially, the limitations of DRM alone are enough of a show stopper for most. IMO WMC can only be used for recording/wating live tv, it's pretty much the only option for CableCard.

The Echo could have been the stb that changed the game like the HDx00 stb's. But for some reason they chose not go in that direction. Who knows why, but I think it wouldn't have taken much to go the extra step. I sort of understand no DTS, but not supporting passthrough, no so much.

There are absolutly no other options out there which does everything that Sage does. And the sad part for some, Sage doesn't fully support CableCard tech. so we're left with very limited options for live recording.

If the Echo doesn't support 1080p at some point, it won't even be what the xbox is for $20 more. IMO I doubt we will ever see anything that compares to Sages unrestricted capture and playback support.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I think I might have been that person, Just to clear things up, I agree with just about all that has been said by everyone. Especially your views on what you expect from the Echo. I have the same needs for my HT.
Nope, it was someone else who said it's "unfair" to compare the Echo to Sage because it's "tailored for a whole other market". They obviously don't understand that Sage (like WMC) is first and foremost a DVR, and the HDxxx's were made specifically to extend the SageTV experience to other TVs, just like MCX's are made specifically to extend the WMC experience to other TVs. And if you look at what the SageTV or WMC experience are, they are very similar, primarily a DVR, but with support for Music, Pictures, and Videos on the side.

Quote:
I think trying to comare anything to what sage is/was turning into or is, is next to impossible. It does so much that others don't.
I agree you'll be largely unsuccessful trying, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't compare them. IMO Sage made the benchmark, and others should be held to it.