SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
... I agree you'll be largely unsuccessful trying, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't compare them. IMO Sage made the benchmark, and others should be held to it.
I couldn't say it any better. This whole Echo thing is making me think about revisiting the HD-PVR again.

Last edited by Skybolt; 10-18-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
I couldn't say it any better. This whole Echo thing i smaking me think about revisiting the HD-PVR again.
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but the colossus has been pretty solid since I got it. Now that I have two I'm still wondering why so many other people have so many problems.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:19 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but the colossus has been pretty solid since I got it. Now that I have two I'm still wondering why so many other people have so many problems.
The horse isn't dead anylonger, I really need to figure this out and how I got here. I am running sage on 2008 R2, so that may very well be some of my issues with the HD-PVR as well. I am not sure I can get the colossus installed either, which is why I went with the HD-PVR.

If I use 7MC for TV and Sage for ripped content, I can put Sage in a VM along side 7MC and be done for now (with adding Echo's). I really don't want to use two solutions though, the WAF will be, well should I say not so good.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
... Now that I have two I'm still wondering why so many other people have so many problems.
OK, you got me. $129 at newegg, and I'll have it tomorrow. I'll let you know.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
OK, you got me. $129 at newegg, and I'll have it tomorrow. I'll let you know.
We are in the process of tracking usage with the latest driver (may of this year) on the hauppauge website. Seems to be great so far. When you get yours, I would use that driver. If it doesn't work I (or SHS) have the "known" working driver a lot of us have been using for over a year.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:32 AM
SageTVaholic

@Skybolt: I thought about chiming in with the fact that my two HD-PVRs are 99% stable (can't remember the last missed recording), but you seemed pretty determined to leave. Since you mentioned you're giving it another shot, I'll say what I had been thinking. I was wondering why you were willing to dump an entire solution, spend more money, go through the hassle of setting up something from scratch, and possibly have to "retrain" everyone how to use it, rather than get the HD-PVR working.

I openly admit (and blogged about) my issues getting the HD-PVRs working, but I was determined to get it going, so that I'd be free from the restrictions (DRM, etc) of the providers. I'm confident that when I build my new server I'll again be able to get them working just fine, even running under vSphere.

Welcome back!
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 10-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
@Skybolt: I thought about chiming in with the fact that my two HD-PVRs are 99% stable (can't remember the last missed recording), but you seemed pretty determined to leave. Since you mentioned you're giving it another shot, I'll say what I had been thinking. I was wondering why you were willing to dump an entire solution, spend more money, go through the hassle of setting up something from scratch, and possibly have to "retrain" everyone how to use it, rather than get the HD-PVR working.

I openly admit (and blogged about) my issues getting the HD-PVRs working, but I was determined to get it going, so that I'd be free from the restrictions (DRM, etc) of the providers. I'm confident that when I build my new server I'll again be able to get them working just fine, even running under vSphere.

Welcome back!
Thanks, not so determind to leave, I absolutly love Sage and have dreded the thouhgt of not using it. I am unfortunetly forced to use cable as a provider. I have way too many trees that can't be cut down, and bad weather would almost always kill my sat signal. So CableCard is my only real option.

That being said, I still might stop using the DVR side of sage and go with 7MC, as I really need more then one or two tunners and want to dump the cable boxes. But I will definetly try the Colosus out and that might gain me more time to explore and stick with a tried and true system, Sage.

When I first tried the HD-PVR out I had only one and got it up and runnig in <30 min. I think there is a post around here from me asking why is everyone unhappy with the HD-PVR. It worked flawlessly for almost a month. So I ordered a second. ... Another month later and they were both on ebay. I can not tell you how much trouble I had with the usb drivers and haveing the system see the HD-PVR's correctly. I am also using 2008 R2 server, so that could have been some of my trouble. Not sure.

But with the Echo barley supporting what does xbox does I really have no choice. While 7MC is the only real answer to CableCard tech, it isn't the PVR/DVR answer we all want. I was hoping, like others, for the added support only a third party stb could offer. Maybe in future releases.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks, not so determind to leave, I absolutly love Sage and have dreded the thouhgt of not using it. I am unfortunetly forced to use cable as a provider. I have way too many trees that can't be cut down, and bad weather would almost always kill my sat signal. So CableCard is my only real option.
Really? The trees are that tall? Granted, I don't live in the middle of the woods and have no clue what the trees are like by you, but we've got several trees that are about 4 or 5 stories tall and mounting stuff on the roof works fine to get above them. All you need is a single clear view of some of the southern sky and you should be fine. Perhaps you aren't thinking hard enough about using angles and height adjustment to get a clear shot? Just throwing stuff out there...

Quote:
When I first tried the HD-PVR out I had only one and got it up and runnig in <30 min. I think there is a post around here from me asking why is everyone unhappy with the HD-PVR. It worked flawlessly for almost a month. So I ordered a second. ... Another month later and they were both on ebay. I can not tell you how much trouble I had with the usb drivers and haveing the system see the HD-PVR's correctly.
I seem to recall that my issues were resolved by shortening the cables, putting the HD-PVRs on separate USB controllers and ensuring they were both running the same drivers. I also RMA'd them both at least once during that time.

That being said, with all the other threads I've read about people unsuccessfully trying to get these working with various cable companies, I'm not sure I'd be up to trying this under a different provider. However, if your problem was drivers, etc, you should be able to get that solved. The signal... well...
Old 10-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Really? The trees are that tall? Granted, I don't live in the middle of the woods and have no clue what the trees are like by you. ...
I live aboout 2hrs from you out in LI. and yes my trees are about the same as yours. The dish just cleared them and had pretty good signal. I did not have a great experience with DTV, and there HD setup. As I stated bad weather really messed me up. Durring Ireene last year, I watched cable at my neibors house with my generator running his tv etc. Thats when I threw in the towel.I would try and watch tv with a simple thunderstorm and lose signal for 20 minutes. The best was all of the recordings saying "Searching for Satellite ..." I still have the HD Dish on my roof. And they want to give me a free WH DRV system (4 rooms) to switch back - 12yr customer.

Quote:
I seem to recall that my issues were resolved by shortening the cables, putting the HD-PVRs on separate USB controllers and ensuring they were both running the same drivers. I also RMA'd them both at least once during that time.

That being said, with all the other threads I've read about people unsuccessfully trying to get these working with various cable companies, I'm not sure I'd be up to trying this under a different provider. However, if your problem was drivers, etc, you should be able to get that solved. The signal... well...
Yeah, I am going to try the Colosus. I think my issue was drivers being shared on the same controller. It just didn't work. I tried seperate controlles which helped, but I think Hauppauge never intended there to be more then one in a system. But your results may vary.

Last edited by Skybolt; 10-18-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Who installed the dish? If it was DTV, you may have had a bad installer. My first dish had similar problems. However, after the 2nd dish went in, everything was fine. The first dish was installed onto the vinyl siding on the side of the house. The second one was anchored to the roof. I suspect that a combination of improper angle and unstable mounting caused the initial problems. Currently, it takes some very heavy snowfall or a pretty darn severe thunderstorm to interrupt the signal, but, even with that, it's only out for a few minutes. Between OTA and the DTV boxes, catching another airing isn't that big of a deal for us. I'd say I miss recordings about 3 or 4 times a year. I can live with that.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Who installed the dish? If it was DTV, you may have had a bad installer. My first dish had similar problems. However, after the 2nd dish went in, everything was fine. The first dish was installed onto the vinyl siding on the side of the house. The second one was anchored to the roof. I suspect that a combination of improper angle and unstable mounting caused the initial problems. Currently, it takes some very heavy snowfall or a pretty darn severe thunderstorm to interrupt the signal, but, even with that, it's only out for a few minutes. Between OTA and the DTV boxes, catching another airing isn't that big of a deal for us. I'd say I miss recordings about 3 or 4 times a year. I can live with that.
Yeah, mouted solid to the roof, like I said, it's still there. I had DTV come out and check it a few times, and my neighbors tree is slitly affecting the signal according to DTV. And you know what my neighbor's response to cutting the tree down was ... So now I have CableCard Yea!
Old 10-18-2012, 02:01 PM
SageTVaholic

I've had both directv and dish for a combined total of about 5 years and the ONLY time i've had signal issues was when my dish had an inch of ice on it. Other than that I can't remember the last signal problem I've had. I'm willing to bet the people that do have crappy installs. Their customer satisfaction wouldn't be so high if it were that bad...at least you'd think that.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I've had both directv and dish for a combined total of about 5 years and the ONLY time i've had signal issues was when my dish had an inch of ice on it. Other than that I can't remember the last signal problem I've had. I'm willing to bet the people that do have crappy installs. Their customer satisfaction wouldn't be so high if it were that bad...at least you'd think that.
Totaly makes sense to me, but I had them out several times and got the same answers.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Totaly makes sense to me, but I had them out several times and got the same answers.
I used to sell DTV so I've heard all the stories. The techs they use aren't all that well educated about the product (for the most part). You should have seen the look on the chick's face when I asked her to run both cables into the same closet for my boxes. She didn't understand why anyone would want to do that.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I used to sell DTV so I've heard all the stories. The techs they use aren't all that well educated about the product (for the most part). You should have seen the look on the chick's face when I asked her to run both cables into the same closet for my boxes. She didn't understand why anyone would want to do that.
I couldn't even get them to run cable. I had to have them come back twice to just install the HD Dish and splitter panel in the atic. I had to run the RG6 every where. There installers aren't what they should be here in NY.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yeah, mouted solid to the roof, like I said, it's still there. I had DTV come out and check it a few times, and my neighbors tree is slitly affecting the signal according to DTV. And you know what my neighbor's response to cutting the tree down was ... So now I have CableCard Yea!
Do you know what kind of strength you were getting? My first install was horrible. The 2nd one? I think I have one satellite that goes down to about 70% (the Spanish one), but all the others are high 90's or 100.

EDIT: Sorry to the folks who were actually discussing the Echo! We kind of hijacked the thread here.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
EDIT: Sorry to the folks who were actually discussing the Echo! We kind of hijacked the thread here.
It's not like there's any info coming out of the folks who have Echo's anyway.

I don't really mean any offense to those who have them, but it's kind of surprising how little info there is on it, beyond it being unable to do even the most basic things.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Skybolt.. Regarding the HD-PVR.. Have you tried NextPVR + XBMC yet -- or even just NextPVR by itself? I'm just toying around with NextPVR and it's a pretty well designed piece of software -- albeit with not nearly as many plugins as XBMC.. Recently (within the past few weeks) a plugin was released that allows XBMC to communicate with NextPVR as the backend.. Seems to work well for an initial CUT.. Obviously for you, you'd need to find some cable card tuners that would work for your area.. Not sure if the HDHomeRun Prime would do the job or not for that angle.. Anyway, the software is obviously not as feature rich as Sage is but it is very actively developed and maintained by one guy (sub) who is super responsive to issues.. NextPVR of course runs under Windows -- I'm using it on W7 Home Premium w/o issue along side Sage.

Interestingly enough I found that XBMC has a SageTV plugin available that will allow it to talk to the Sage server to get videos & whatnot..
Old 10-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Do you know what kind of strength you were getting? My first install was horrible. The 2nd one? I think I have one satellite that goes down to about 70% (the Spanish one), but all the others are high 90's or 100.

I think I had ~80's I don't ever remember seeing anything in the 90's.

I was big into FTA back in the day, so I totally understand the sat. setup.
It's pretty much irrelevant, since an STB is still an STB. I am going to give the colosus a try, and I won't need to do much to test it. If that works for a while I'll get a second. But it really doesn't get me where I wanted to be, which was STB free. As the kids love the xbox and are fine with the MC extensions and have access to Netflix, I will most likely keep both up and running for a while longer. Ultimately I want to be on CableCard as it so easy and takes up little space. We'll see.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
It's not like there's any info coming out of the folks who have Echo's anyway.

I don't really mean any offense to those who have them, but it's kind of surprising how little info there is on it, beyond it being unable to do even the most basic things.
Mine shipped today, Trust me I will post everything ... Are you not going to test?

And yes, sorry to those following this thread. I seem to have a habbit of getting side tracked

Last edited by Skybolt; 10-19-2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Spellinig