SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Sage Icon

[QUOTE=panteragstk;558087... You have to have an xbox live subscription for your netflix/amazon subscription to be usable.[/quote]

It may be worse than that, because you can't acces these from within the MCE interface on the 360, you have to drop back to the dash board to do so, and to my knowladge you can't script it to do so. But on the main box you have netflix on the in the interface without a subscription.

Quote:
Roku is by far the best streaming solution. I select roku from my sage menu and it switches inputs for me and lets me control my roku with the same remote as sage. Seamless. WMC can't do that (probably )
I am not sure what you are running to do this(Pretty Cool though), but with 7MC reset Toolbox you can create your own menus and the like. Pretty much as with Sage, not nearly as easy though.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Oh, and AnyDVD doesn't give SageTV or XBMC Blu-ray menus.
AnyDVD has a new "speed menu" it now can add to rips. I think it will play on the latest xbmc, but I suspect that it still won't work with Sage. Personally, I prefer going right into the movie with no menues.
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/articl...nus_for_anydvd
Old 10-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Not quite sure what you mean by iTx WMC, if you mean independent mce boxes?,
Correct indepence MCE boxes in a uITX form factor

Quote:
that makes no sense as you would loose recorded tv shaing.
Not correct - they can easily share content by pointing to the same media directories... only subject to limitations # 1-3.

I even had that setup for years. As long as you have a main WMC that you set recordings on and dont mind a couple minute delay between when media is visible to the satellite media centers you are fine... live TV can be done by a dedicated tuners (ie. dedicate from an HDHR Prime - best if you have at least 2 x Prime)
Old 10-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I select roku from my sage menu and it switches inputs for me and lets me control my roku with the same remote as sage
this sounds interesting! can you explain how to set this up?
Old 10-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
AnyDVD has a new "speed menu" it now can add to rips
Correct.

And you can always use ClownBD to rip to .m2ts (and other options):

http://www.clownbd.com/

Quote:
because you can't acces these from within the MCE interface on the 360, you have to drop back to the dash board
Exactly - there is no integration between them... completely separated (painful)

Quote:
with 7MC reset Toolbox you can create your own menus
not nearly as feature-full (quite limited) and really painful...
Old 10-22-2013, 04:24 PM
Sage Icon

ClownBD supports command line/batch as well... so easy to integrate.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
... The Prime is much better I can watch the Protected channels on any WMC PC.
NP, I'm not trying to turn you either direction here, but in my own testing this was actually the one thing that WMC was completely incapable of doing with PC's as clients, and for me this was a deal breaker. The only way I am able to watch recorded content anywhere other than the computer on which the content was recorded, is using an XBOX 360 as an extender. Did something change on this with Windows 8.1?

If one wasn't really interested in hanging on to a lot of recorded content, I probably wouldn't see a problem with just running WMC and parking a 360 next to every television.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:35 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Did something change on this with Windows 8.1?
No - nothing has changed.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
I am not sure what you are running to do this(Pretty Cool though), but with 7MC reset Toolbox you can create your own menus and the like. Pretty much as with Sage, not nearly as easy though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflamm View Post
this sounds interesting! can you explain how to set this up?
I use the never released Ortus main menu. I can create a menu item in studio (very simple) and it shows up as a selection when I create a new menu in Ortus. In this item I tell it to run a batch file that sends a string of keystrokes to EventGhost to tell it to switch inputs on my receiver then to switch the remote from sagetv mode to roku mode.

It's actually easier than it sounds and I believe Gemstone has the ability to create menu items the same way. You still have to use studio to make the custom items. It really is easy though.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
NP, I'm not trying to turn you either direction here, but in my own testing this was actually the one thing that WMC was completely incapable of doing with PC's as clients, and for me this was a deal breaker. The only way I am able to watch recorded content anywhere other than the computer on which the content was recorded, is using an XBOX 360 as an extender. Did something change on this with Windows 8.1?

If one wasn't really interested in hanging on to a lot of recorded content, I probably wouldn't see a problem with just running WMC and parking a 360 next to every television.
I think you mis understood maybe I didn't post it correctly... what I meant was that I rather have a Prime than Invest in a HD-PVR is because I can use the Tuners from any PC that has WMC and watch the protected content. With 2 Primes this should be quite more flexible than Investing in a HD-PVR. The way I have it setup now in WMC is the Hd Homerun units have Priority in recording channels 1-31. My Hd Homerun Prime records the higher channels.

So adding another prime would give me more than enough tuners to watch and Record protected content. current I have 1 Client with a splitter feeding 2 TVs with the Same Content... I then have 2 other PC clients connected to TV's. Plus 2 Laptops which Have WMC on it. I will also Install Remote Potato... so I can Schedule from any PC and stream to my android device.

Last edited by nyplayer; 10-22-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
... Not correct - they can easily share content by pointing to the same media directories... only subject to limitations # 1-3....
You need to qualify your responses. Not everyone is CopyFreely, I know myself and NYPlayer have mostly CopyOnce cable channels. So Sage is nolonger a viable solution.

I am sure you know this, but with CopyOnce you can not watch on another PC. So sharing a recording dir doesn't do anything for anyone. If my lineup was CopyFreely I'd still be with Sage ... But hey, this got really off topic.

Sage is great for what it is, if you want to use CC, you have two options. Tivo and 7MC, for me 7MC is the better option and much more cost effective (JMO).
Old 10-22-2013, 07:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I think you mis understood maybe I didn't post it correctly... what I meant was that I rather have a Prime than Invest in a HD-PVR is because I can use the Tuners from any PC that has WMC and watch the protected content. With 2 Primes this should be quite more flexible than Investing in a HD-PVR. The way I have it setup now in WMC is the Hd Homerun units have Priority in recording channels 1-31. My Hd Homerun Prime records the higher channels.

So adding another prime would give me more than enough tuners to watch and Record protected content. current I have 1 Client with a splitter feeding 2 TVs with the Same Content... I then have 2 other PC clients connected to TV's. Plus 2 Laptops which Have WMC on it. I will also Install Remote Potato... so I can Schedule from any PC and stream to my android device.
Gotcha, so as long as you watch the encrypted programming on <whatever computer happens to record it>, you're good to go. Is it kind of a mess trying to schedule favorites that way, or do you just have all computers record everything so you can watch the encrypted content wherever you wish (except for the streaming to Android which won't work in any event on the encrypted content)?
Old 10-22-2013, 07:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Gotcha, so as long as you watch the encrypted programming on <whatever computer happens to record it>, you're good to go. Is it kind of a mess trying to schedule favorites that way, or do you just have all computers record everything so you can watch the encrypted content wherever you wish (except for the streaming to Android which won't work in any event on the encrypted content)?
I record Unencrypted favorites mostly on my main Sever... any one can scheduled there own favorites (or Use Remote potato and Schedule on the Server) .... all Recording folders are shared.

Of course I had to Increase the number of tuners and Buffer.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
but with CopyOnce you can not watch on another PC
Correct - I should have been a bit more careful. Was referring to copy freely only. No matter how you split the tuners across WMCs, if it is not copy freely then only the WMC that recorded can watch...

Most all of my content is copy freely (not much into premiums) so not usually a problem. As with SageTV you can always add a HDPVR as a tuner to the main WMC and then the non copy freely protected content will all be available to all WMCs.

Quote:
I rather have a Prime than Invest in a HD-PVR is because
Good to have at least 1 HD-PVR so you can record and distribute the non-copy freely content to all the desktop client WMCs and elsewhere
Old 10-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
Still loving my SageTV system. It is, by far, the best HTPC solution out there. I sometimes wonder if the SageTV guys ever regret selling to Google and losing control of their baby...
What does HTPC mean again - and what was this floppy disk thing?
Old 10-23-2013, 05:23 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
...Most all of my content is copy freely (not much into premiums) so not usually a problem. As with SageTV you can always add a HDPVR as a tuner to the main WMC and then the non copy freely protected content will all be available to all WMCs. ...
In your case I would probably do what you suggested, itx everywhere. I have all CopyOnce except some locals (not all), I should qualify that thats for the HD channels. The SD channels are still onen.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
Sage is great for what it is, if you want to use CC, you have two options. Tivo and 7MC, for me 7MC is the better option and much more cost effective (JMO).
With all the limitations of CC I'm not sure why anyone would want to use it... I guess it would be nice to have 6 HD tuners but I find TV shows re-air enough that I never have trouble capturing my HD shows with two HD-PVRs and a HVR-2250. And all my tuners are pretty much rock solid now.

I'm sure I am in the minority here but I value freedom and unencrypted access to my programing over "more tuners" and a slightly cheaper bill. I've been with SageTV for four years now and have never once had a watch once flag prevent me from watching an HBO show or transcoding that show for my iPad to watch on a flight.

Don't get me wrong, I would buy a CC tuner immediately if the DRM restrictions were lifted but until then I love my HD-PVRs (as long as you keep some extra power supplies on hand).

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s

Last edited by will; 10-23-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm sure I am in the minority here but I value freedom and unencrypted access to my programing over "more tuners" and a slightly cheaper bill. I've been with SageTV for four years now and have never once had a watch once flag prevent me from watching an HBO show or transcoding that show for my iPad to watch on a flight.

Don't get me wrong, I would buy a CC tuner immediately if the DRM restrictions were lifted but until then I love my HD-PVRs (as long as you keep some extra power supplies on hand).
You're right, will. We are both in that minority. With Hauppauge on deathwatch, I think keeping some spare HDPVRs on hand is also a good idea. I have a pair of Colossus cards to back me up, too.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 10-23-2013, 09:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
You're right, will. We are both in that minority. With Hauppauge on deathwatch, I think keeping some spare HDPVRs on hand is also a good idea. I have a pair of Colossus cards to back me up, too.
I got 2 HD-PVRs from BestBuy closeout to bring my total to 5. 3 in use. I plan on getting a HD-PVR2 as a backup to my Colossus or maybe taking out the Colossus and using it as backup to HD-PVR2. Haven't decided yet. I also want to get a couple of HVR-2250s as backups. Already have 2 extras of my AverMedia Duets in case they stop producing them or have Hauppauge like problems.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:41 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
With all the limitations of CC I'm not sure why anyone would want to use it... I guess it would be nice to have 6 HD tuners but I find TV shows re-air enough that I never have trouble capturing my HD shows with two HD-PVRs and a HVR-2250. And all my tuners are pretty much rock solid now.

I originally thought the same way until I wanted to have suround sound with my recorded shows. I also don't keep any shows after they are watched. I do wait to watch a season until it's been fully recorded, then cut all but the last episode to free up recording space. Although I have 3T reserved for that.

I don't bring TV shows with me when I travel, onl DVD/BD rips. As to cable card over tuners, DRM at first seemed to be invasive, how dare anyone stop me from recording and watching a show anywhere I want!, I got over it after I realy thought about it. I don't need to keep everything and watch it everywhere. It's only tv, movies I buy and rip. I still like having an awesome movie collection, but that has nothing to do with a DVR. Even nicer to have it cataloged and there is a lot of software which does that, Sage and 7MC among them.

Cable Cards are real easy, I have two Primes which deliver six tuners full of HD tv encoded with DD 5.1, all in a little package that is the wireing closet. 5.1 for TV is alot nicer then PCM 2.0. Channel changes are only 1-2 seconds with no flashing screen changes while the UIRT re-tunes the channel. Much like serial tunning is for DTV.

Sage/Tivo/7MC - are all good for what they are. Sage is better at watching ripped content, but for using CC 7MC works real well. People that use Tivo, lots of talk of people switching to that around here, DRM isn't an issue there because you can't move the content.

Sorry for the long rant, I loved Sage when I used it and didn't think I could ever switch, now that I did - I don't see the big deal. I am not missing anything. And can't wait for the next thing to replace 7MC.