SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

big thanks!

Very good news. Very good indeed.
Thanks
Old 03-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'd love to see a SageTV server app for Synology NAS
Old 03-10-2015, 06:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm hoping that with this coming back to life that silicondust will work with us to get the cable card support. I also hope route runner can work his magic on an extender based on android or rpi if he has the code from the extenders.

Last edited by mechling-burgh; 03-10-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Depending upon the Android device, decoding of mpeg2 may be problematic.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
Any development I'm involved in will maintain backwards compatibility with extenders going back to the MediaMVP. There's no reason that should get broken.
snip
Welcome back Jeff - very exciting news.

Do you think there would be a way to do a builder version of an extender?
Old 03-10-2015, 07:45 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
I've been playing with Plex and the Rasplex client on a Pi2, but despite all the eye candy, the one thing I've learned is nothing beats that Sigma based HD300 for video quality. If there was a way the community could continue a relationship with Sigma Designs to produce more (or newer gen ones), that would be awesome. Only after that would I care about the artwork and flash that comes with XBMC/Kodi/Plex.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:57 PM
Sage Expert

Thank Jeff. Excellent news.

Ditto to Valnar's last comment.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
If we're throwing ideas around ...

Would it be possible to make SageTV natively recognize the cablecard tuners (Prime, Ceton)?
yes, as much as I appreciate everything Andy has done with SageDCT, native support would be fantastic.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:53 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
I've been playing with Plex and the Rasplex client on a Pi2, but despite all the eye candy, the one thing I've learned is nothing beats that Sigma based HD300 for video quality. If there was a way the community could continue a relationship with Sigma Designs to produce more (or newer gen ones), that would be awesome. Only after that would I care about the artwork and flash that comes with XBMC/Kodi/Plex.
Count me in. I have tried many alternatives and have been unable to stop using my Sage, especially for OTA recording with 3 HDHR tuners.

Thanks for the email Valnar, it made my day.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Sage User

Quote:
...because the extender was one of the best things about SageTV IMO.
This is so true! SageTV extenders were ahead of their time and still hold up.

I had just purchased BeyondTV in early 2007 along with the Media MVP. I was having issues getting the Media MVP to work as an extender for BeyondTV. I installed the SageTV 6 trial to see if that would work. The wow factor with SageTV running on the Media MVP converted me that day.

I still have three Media MVP's, the HD100, HD200, and a couple of HD300's. The HD300 devices get daily use in our household.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:07 PM
Sage User

This is fantastic news! When I first saw that there was an announcement, I clicked on the link nervously, worried that the bad news was lurking on the pages. Then I read in disbelief the great news, first checking the calendar to see if perhaps it was the 1st of April. After the calendar disproved my original hypothesis, I pinched myself and determined that I was in fact awake.

I was recently just considering options after seeing much of the "old guard" leave or speak of imminent departure. Thanks so much to Jeff and Google for making this happen!
Old 03-10-2015, 10:31 PM

Aww man I carp my self today when I saw this cool
Sweet time for hacking that SageTV Box againe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Funny that Google Fiber TV currently has a 4-box limit on TV boxes. Hmm.
Cable has a limit of 6-box limit per acct so there nothing new there

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiso View Post
... and a Raspberry Pi client ...
There are lot of option now day unlike before a few years back
Mini PC / Thin Client / Mini / Booksize Barebone PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
First thing get rid of the JAVA limitation.
Agree we really need to move it 64bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Does this mean that we will no longer need keys to run the software under the current available installers?
That right if goes Open Source in "Near" Future we will no longer need keys any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I wonder if this will mean the end of the EPG data being provided by Google?
I'm sure that will be the case but not worry there are other option as it become open-sourced there becomes non-commercial software, so it automatic qualify for schedules direct use.

Last edited by SHS; 03-10-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:47 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Database was massively enhanced; biggest thing is now there's read/write locks rather than plain locks for operations so you won't get the spinny circle of death when it's doing EPG updates anymore.
Does this mean there's no more Wiz.bin?

Quote:
...because the extender was one of the best things about SageTV IMO.
No doubt!
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

This really is great news. When I first read the original post I imagined a scenario where Google would allow Jeff to release the code as it was at the time of the buyout for the community here to do with as we could. To have Jeff actively involved in releasing a newer version is Fantastic News.

Maybe, within the next few months, an Android TV box will be released with proper deinterlacing of Mpeg 1080i content. With an android SageTV client plugin this could be the "one box to rule them all" A community supported, free DVR backend could be a great addition to the Android TV experience.

Of course, my wife will probably be disapointed. Our SageTV system has been rock solid with a never changing predictable UI and no new menu items or plugins. Now I will probably start tinkering with it again.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

This is amazing news!!!

Although I recently switched to Plex, Sagetv has still been running and I use it from time to time for DVD Bluray viewing. Pled maybe simple to use and sleek looking but it's got nothing on Sage, plus I miss the tinkering to be honest.
I'm going to be coming back, can't wait!

2xhd300
Old 03-11-2015, 07:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

What happen? must be real thread it's not April fools day
Old 03-11-2015, 08:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeezer View Post
Of course, my wife will probably be disapointed. Our SageTV system has been rock solid with a never changing predictable UI and no new menu items or plugins. Now I will probably start tinkering with it again.
(nods head and grins sheepishly)

Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:46 AM
Sage User

I knew there was a reason I came back here a couple months ago, and built a new Sage server with 3 grabber cards....
Old 03-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thank you for the fantastic news Jeff! I'm reallylooking forward to seeing what the community comes up with!

pat----
Old 03-11-2015, 09:13 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
Great news!

Some things I would like to see changed on OS version but not necessarily in this order:

1. Fix HD200 extender so it doesn't crash when playing "XMen 1" blueray and a couple of others. I am trying a rerip on this in case it was just a bad rip but put this out if it is a real is a problem.
  2. Make it 64 bit compatible and on current java version.
  3. Allow recordings to overlap on same channel without using multiple tuners.
  4. Allow recordings on multiple channels with single tuner. I.E. OTA main channel and sub channels can be recorded at same time as well as allowing all QAM channels on same main channel to be recorded from one tuner.
  5. Remove the drive access on remote directories when browsing through recordings. I.E. don't have to spinup NAS drives on my unRAID server when browsing recordings in import directory only spins up when PLAY selected or manual/automatic scan run.
  6. Allow the replacing of the SageTV splitter on M2TS files like you can with MKV. Then I could just rip movies to folders only.
  7. Work on response time and indicators. I.E. I press a remote button multiple times when not needed sometimes because the spinning circle doesn't start up soon enough - this might be adjustable already just haven't researched it yet.
#4 should be #1!! My Comcast has several spots where multiple networks are all on the same channel/sub-subchannel! It would make some nights much easier to deal with conflicts.

I'd put the ability to overlap same channel recordings with a single tuner right up there also. A much needed fix for stupid networks that can't tell time and you end up missing the final scene of show A or the beginning of show B as it starts recording show B on the same channel/tuner. Right now there is a few seconds dropout.

Tags
open source