SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
After doing a search for amd64
https://github.com/google/sagetv/sea...%9C%93&q=amd64

Code:
native/so/SageLinux/Makefile 
Showing the top match. Last indexed 3 days ago.

1	JDK_HOME ?= /usr/local/j2sdk
2	#JAVA_ARCH ?= i386
3	JAVA_ARCH ?= amd64
I'd modify the Makefile and comment out the amd64 line and uncomment the i386 line (or export JAVA_ARCH=i386 from the command line before the build)
Got a little further. It still fails making SageLinux with the error message "skipping incompatible <path/to/lib/i386/libjawt.so> when searching for -lawt"

I tried changing the conditional setting of JAVA_ARCH in the SageLinux makefile and I tried setting JAVA_ARCH explicitly from the command line.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Got a little further. It still fails making SageLinux with the error message "skipping incompatible <path/to/lib/i386/libjawt.so> when searching for -lawt"

I tried changing the conditional setting of JAVA_ARCH in the SageLinux makefile and I tried setting JAVA_ARCH explicitly from the command line.
Weird. Mine built fine. Lots of warnings but it got all the way through and built the tarballs and debs.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Linux server questions

Sorry for the silly questions.

1) On Windows, when you run the server, you get a UI. I was under the impression that there were server-only settings that couldn't be edited via a client. Is that not the case?

2) The reason that I ask is that with the headless server, when I connect from and external placeshifter client or a HD300, I get the error "No Place Shifter users are available. A new user must be created on the server, or an existing user must be enabled, before login is possible." This made me think that I need a UI on the server to set things up.

3) It seems like all the libraries are statically linked into the server. Ditto for the client, with the exception of libfaac0. Can anyone confirm?

Edit: Swapped out my first question, since reading this thread more I see that there isn't a UI on the server.

Last edited by coppit; 08-13-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Build and install steps for Ubuntu 14.04

Hi all,

I see a few people ran into some issues that I ran into. I thought I'd share my Dockerfile for a Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit build using Oracle Java 8.

https://github.com/coppit/docker-sag...ter/Dockerfile

If you're not familiar with Docker, you should be able to figure it out.

I had to swap out the package dependency for Java, and swap amd64 for i386 in the deb config. The resulting sagetv-server_9.0.0_i386.deb is actually amd64 -- the i386 in the file name is hard-coded in the build.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppit View Post
Sorry for the silly questions.

1) On Windows, when you run the server, you get a UI. I was under the impression that there were server-only settings that couldn't be edited via a client. Is that not the case?

2) The reason that I ask is that with the headless server, when I connect from and external placeshifter client or a HD300, I get the error "No Place Shifter users are available. A new user must be created on the server, or an existing user must be enabled, before login is possible." This made me think that I need a UI on the server to set things up.

3) It seems like all the libraries are statically linked into the server. Ditto for the client, with the exception of libfaac0. Can anyone confirm?

Edit: Swapped out my first question, since reading this thread more I see that there isn't a UI on the server.
I'd prefer to keep this Thread for linux specific building questions in a very general sense. Specific questions about running under linux, configuring linux, differences between linux and windows, etc, should go in new threads.

As for #3, I'm not 100% sure, yet, since I haven't dug too deeply into the code, but I suspect you are right, and they are statically linked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppit View Post
Hi all,

I see a few people ran into some issues that I ran into. I thought I'd share my Dockerfile for a Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit build using Oracle Java 8.

https://github.com/coppit/docker-sag...ter/Dockerfile

If you're not familiar with Docker, you should be able to figure it out.

I had to swap out the package dependency for Java, and swap amd64 for i386 in the deb config. The resulting sagetv-server_9.0.0_i386.deb is actually amd64 -- the i386 in the file name is hard-coded in the build.
Good work on the Docker image. I've used docker a few times and I really like it. But my fear of posting about in this thread is that people will start asking Docker specific questions, here, and they really should go in a separate thread . (Although I do see why you posted it here, since it could help someone being able to setup/compile using a Docker image, under linux).
Old 08-15-2015, 02:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
After doing a search for amd64
https://github.com/google/sagetv/sea...%9C%93&q=amd64

Code:
native/so/SageLinux/Makefile 
Showing the top match. Last indexed 3 days ago.

1	JDK_HOME ?= /usr/local/j2sdk
2	#JAVA_ARCH ?= i386
3	JAVA_ARCH ?= amd64
I'd modify the Makefile and comment out the amd64 line and uncomment the i386 line (or export JAVA_ARCH=i386 from the command line before the build)
Would you mind putting this in the original post?
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreichen View Post
Would you mind putting this in the original post?
Done
Old 08-16-2015, 08:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Please excuse my dumb question but will this docker file thing help me get past the problem of not being able to find/install sun-java6-Jre?

I was able to build the project ( thanks for the great instructions BTW) but can't install due to this error. I am on Ubuntu if that is important.

Any help gratefully received
Old 08-16-2015, 09:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDoc View Post
Please excuse my dumb question but will this docker file thing help me get past the problem of not being able to find/install sun-java6-Jre?

I was able to build the project ( thanks for the great instructions BTW) but can't install due to this error. I am on Ubuntu if that is important.

Any help gratefully received
No, but this pull request will: https://github.com/google/sagetv/pull/11

EDIT: now that I think of it, the Docker container probably will let you get by it because I think Coppit removed the jre dependency limitation from his build.
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Last edited by jreichen; 08-16-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks... It will be a couple of weeks until I get back to this but Looking forward to trying it
Old 08-17-2015, 05:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreichen View Post
No, but this pull request will: https://github.com/google/sagetv/pull/11

EDIT: now that I think of it, the Docker container probably will let you get by it because I think Coppit removed the jre dependency limitation from his build.
If you're trying to do development, Docker probably isn't the way to go, the Vagrant option would probably be better for that.

Docker is more of a prepackaged, (usually) headless application, designed to be installed and run on your server. For example I have Crashplan and Squeezebox server docker containers installed on my unRAID server for those specific functions.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Well, there's not "full" end to end build, as it has in Linux... but, I add add gradle support that enables Windows users to rebuild the Sage.jar quite easily. This would allow windows users to at least make changes to the Sage core java, and add it into their existing system.

https://github.com/google/sagetv/blo...er/BUILDING.md
So, for those of us who like to experiment but have no development background, what do I need to install go build this? I have downloaded the local copy of the github files using SVN and tried to run the gradlew.bat file but then realized it needed java (I think). Don't laugh...you can code but I can probably beat you in racquetball. We all make our choices.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chako View Post
So, for those of us who like to experiment but have no development background, what do I need to install go build this? I have downloaded the local copy of the github files using SVN and tried to run the gradlew.bat file but then realized it needed java (I think). Don't laugh...you can code but I can probably beat you in racquetball. We all make our choices.
If you have no development background (ie, you can't read Java and/or) C code, then I'm not sure what experimenting you'd do ie, the sage code is complex enough that it'll take some time for seasoned developers to wrap their heads around it.

If you by experimenting, you mean, you want to play with the open source version as a product then I'd recommend grabbing the pre-compiled jar file (I think tmiranda is hosting it) and you can drop it into your system (you'll find some instructions on how to do that as well).

But, if you do want to rebuild the jar file yourself, then you'll need to install the JDK (grab the Oracle 7 JDK and install it NOT the JRE). Then gradle will work

If you have some linux experience, you can check out the post I made regarding Vagrant which is help you get a linux build environment up and running.

And yeah, you'll like beat me pretty well in racquetball
Old 08-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Sage User

Quote:
If you have no development background (ie, you can't read Java and/or) C code, then I'm not sure what experimenting you'd do ie, the sage code is complex enough that it'll take some time for seasoned developers to wrap their heads around it.

If you by experimenting, you mean, you want to play with the open source version as a product then I'd recommend grabbing the pre-compiled jar file (I think tmiranda is hosting it) and you can drop it into your system (you'll find some instructions on how to do that as well).

But, if you do want to rebuild the jar file yourself, then you'll need to install the JDK (grab the Oracle 7 JDK and install it NOT the JRE). Then gradle will work

If you have some linux experience, you can check out the post I made regarding Vagrant which is help you get a linux build environment up and running.

And yeah, you'll like beat me pretty well in racquetball
Thanks for the quick reply. I am just after a pre-compiled jar file so you have made me a happy camper! I'll try to find a link to that file.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
But my fear of posting about in this thread is that people will start asking Docker specific questions, here, and they really should go in a separate thread . (Although I do see why you posted it here, since it could help someone being able to setup/compile using a Docker image, under linux).
To be clear, I posted it because I wanted to provide precise documentation about the steps I had to do to get the build to work.

Thanks for not letting me hijack this thread. And for the record I don't think anyone should be using the Docker image yet, as there is nontrivial brokenness.

The average user is super-excited, as we all are, but to be honest until we have working, automated builds with installers I don't think there's much they can do.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
SageTV requires Java 1.5+. (I'm currently using Java 8)

You can install java 8 in Ubuntu using the following commands.
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y oracle-java8-installer
You may want to update this to say to NOT install Java 8 if you plan on using Jetty Web Services. Java 7 seems to work fine.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:09 PM
Sage User

Trying to get hold of or build 32 bit version

Hi
I haven't been able to find a pre-built i386 version of the open source bundle. I've followed stuckless's instructions for building under Ubuntu (I'm using 16.04) on a VM. Things seem to build OK until it fails on MPLAYER because the gcc (5.3.1 20160413) version isn't one used by the mplayer developers. Haven't got the machine up right now, but I think they only supported versions up to 4.x. Does anyone have any advice on this? Anyone else encountered this and found a way through? From the warnings that the configure script gives, it looks like there can be significant problems if you don't use a gcc version that's already been tested by the developers. Currently looking at how to downgrade gcc on the VM:-(
2 x HD-200 clients
Old 05-17-2016, 07:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymcd View Post
Hi
I haven't been able to find a pre-built i386 version of the open source bundle. I've followed stuckless's instructions for building under Ubuntu (I'm using 16.04) on a VM. Things seem to build OK until it fails on MPLAYER because the gcc (5.3.1 20160413) version isn't one used by the mplayer developers. Haven't got the machine up right now, but I think they only supported versions up to 4.x. Does anyone have any advice on this? Anyone else encountered this and found a way through? From the warnings that the configure script gives, it looks like there can be significant problems if you don't use a gcc version that's already been tested by the developers. Currently looking at how to downgrade gcc on the VM:-(
It won't build on Ubuntu versions newer than 15.04.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:38 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
It won't build on Ubuntu versions newer than 15.04.
Thanks for the quick response. In the meantime I installed gcc-4.7 via sudo apt-get install gcc-4.7 and the build didn't fail using CC=gcc-4.7 ./buildall.sh. So ATM it looks like a clean build just following stuckless's instructions, with JAVA_ARCH=i386, plus
sudo apt-get install gcc-4.7
cd <build dir>
CC=gcc-4.7 ./buildall.sh

Haven't tried running it yet tho:-)
2 x HD-200 clients
Old 05-18-2016, 05:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymcd View Post
Thanks for the quick response. In the meantime I installed gcc-4.7 via sudo apt-get install gcc-4.7 and the build didn't fail using CC=gcc-4.7 ./buildall.sh. So ATM it looks like a clean build just following stuckless's instructions, with JAVA_ARCH=i386, plus
sudo apt-get install gcc-4.7
cd <build dir>
CC=gcc-4.7 ./buildall.sh

Haven't tried running it yet tho:-)
That is good to know. I currently use a Docker container. But I'll update the main post with a a note about using CC=gcc-4.7