SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewispm View Post
I think the icon should start with a "sage" color. Hex BCB88A. Source.

After that, I like the simplicity of the "01" version of this logo.
That would work, since that's pretty much the exact color of the walls in my main viewing location...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-22-2015, 09:08 PM
Sage User

What should we call the new Open Source Sage?

Hello, everybody.

I thought about the naming a bit more.

I've got two ideas I'd like everyone to think about.

I think the word "Sage" should remain in whatever name is chosen. (I doubt anyone would disagree with this.)

But I think the word "TV" should be removed. Now before anyone accuses me of heresy here, let me give you my thoughts.

The world of Media is changing. We consume our Media in more places than our TV. Yes, historically, shows were consumed on the TV, but that's different.

And, we don't know what the future holds so something more generic with the word "Sage" in it I think is best.

Regards!
Old 08-23-2015, 08:22 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptzink View Post
but wanted to through out my suggestions below
1 looks good
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 08-25-2015, 01:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

just throwing it out there...

openSage or openSageTV

I'm a big fan of ptzink's sagetv-logo-concept-01.png typeface and style.
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit ♠ SageTV v9.0.12.504 ♠ Java 1.8.0_111
Clients: 4 x STX-HD300 ♠ 3 x STX-HD200 ♠ MacOS Placeshifter

Last edited by HokiePerogi; 08-25-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Attached is an update to the previous v1 logo (1.01). I just tweaked the icon and colors a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewispm View Post
I think the icon should start with a "sage" color. Hex BCB88A. Source.

After that, I like the simplicity of the "01" version of this logo.
Per lewispm's suggestion, I tried the sage color specified (concept 1.02) as I thought the concept was worth exploring. While this color may be nice in fashion or home decor, I am afraid there is not nearly enough saturation to "pop" in a logo. I also tried a slight variant to that color (1.03) and didn't care for that either. Threw them up here anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayloncovil View Post
Hello, everybody.

I thought about the naming a bit more.

I've got two ideas I'd like everyone to think about.

I think the word "Sage" should remain in whatever name is chosen. (I doubt anyone would disagree with this.)

But I think the word "TV" should be removed. Now before anyone accuses me of heresy here, let me give you my thoughts.

The world of Media is changing. We consume our Media in more places than our TV. Yes, historically, shows were consumed on the TV, but that's different.

And, we don't know what the future holds so something more generic with the word "Sage" in it I think is best.

Regards!
This is an interesting point and conversation. I definitely understand your reasoning here. I will say, however, that I think one of the main things that separates SageTV from Kodi, Plex, etc. is it's prowess as a PVR. We all know this, but new comers to Sage (open source) may not get how it varies from Kodi or the other "media centers". I think the "TV" helps drive home the PVR functionality. Also, this may be a trademark issue?

Also attached is a mockup of a splash screen. The dots in the middle would animate while loading. I added the tag line "PVR and Media Center" prioritizing the PVR portion per my reasoning above. Everything else I tried to keep simple. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: png sagetv-logo-concept-1.01.png (132.9 KB, 300 views)
File Type: png sagetv-logo-concept-1.02-sage.png (134.7 KB, 277 views)
File Type: png sagetv-logo-concept-1.03-dessert-sage.png (135.6 KB, 274 views)
File Type: png sagetv-splash-screen-concept-01.png (45.1 KB, 444 views)
Old 08-25-2015, 03:45 PM
Sage

It should definitely be kept as "SageTV" and not referred to as just "Sage". There's LOTS of things with the Sage name out there...so using 'SageTV' keeps it more distinct.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayloncovil View Post

Not to pile on, but the thing that makes SageTV what it is, and what makes all of us use it, or at least makes me use it, is TV, it's the best DVR out there.

While the world of media is changing, frankly it's a lost cause/waste of time trying to chase the streaming media dragon. The streaming providers have no interest in their services being used on a PC or PC based system, to such an extent that at best, they don't help, and many outright try to prevent it. The best solutions for streaming services are dedicated boxes, Rokus and the like. Just look at the trouble Youtube has caused, beyond that, PCs are second class citizens for the likes of Netflix and Amazon, only streaming boxes get the highest quality content from them.

While it kind of hurts to say this, I look at Sage as basically an interim solution to get me through until I can get whatever "TV" type content I want directly via the internet, on demand. My Xboxes and Roku take care of my Netflix and Amazon Prime use, and there are lots of solutions for ripped media out there, many with many benefits over Sage (I currently use OpenELEC/Kodi for my rips).

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Not to pile on, but the thing that makes SageTV what it is, and what makes all of us use it, or at least makes me use it, is TV, it's the best DVR out there.

While the world of media is changing, frankly it's a lost cause/waste of time trying to chase the streaming media dragon. The streaming providers have no interest in their services being used on a PC or PC based system, to such an extent that at best, they don't help, and many outright try to prevent it. The best solutions for streaming services are dedicated boxes, Rokus and the like. Just look at the trouble Youtube has caused, beyond that, PCs are second class citizens for the likes of Netflix and Amazon, only streaming boxes get the highest quality content from them.
My thoughts exactly. Sage is first and foremost a great DVR.

I used to think it would be good to have streaming services built into Sage, but it seems like something is always breaking or needing to be updated to keep it working. It's so inexpensive to purchase a set top box specifically designed for streaming content that is supported by the content providers that to me it just seems more practical to use one of them for streaming than trying to keep it functioning in Sage.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Attached is an update to the previous v1 logo (1.01). I just tweaked the icon and colors a little.
Hey ptzink,

If it's easy to do, I'd like to see another version of 1.01 without the shadow under the "TV".

Not sure why but the long extended shadow of the "TV" letters vs the short shadow under the logo don't seem to jive together. The long shadow does break up the solid logo shape though...

Thx for doing all this.

J

PS - Does anyone know what the original logo (overlapping oval shapes) meant? Did it have any meaning or reference?

Last edited by jorton; 08-25-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:49 PM
Sage Expert

I'm mostly with Stanger on this. The TV needs to be in there because that is and should be the best part of SageTV. There is a reason Silcondust is creating its own DVR. TV is not dead and cord cutters will want to get some form of TV whether it is for sports or the ability of not worrying that their shows are not there to stream when they get around to stream.

As to streaming, if we can eventually get STV to work on an Amazon Fire type of device, then the streaming world meets the STV world.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 08-25-2015, 06:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade View Post
I used to think it would be good to have streaming services built into Sage, but it seems like something is always breaking or needing to be updated to keep it working.
I think we're saying the same thing. I still think it would be good, but like you I've resigned myself to it being impractical.

I still have this dream of a system where Netflix, Amazon, etc are just more "channels" more video sources, where I could setup a Favorite of Doctor Who, and all the episodes from Amazon would show up in my Recordings list, or maybe my video library, and I could hit play and it would seamlessly stream it from Amazon. I've seen glimpses of it, there are some plugins for Kodi that can do this, find a show on Hulu (for example) and add it to your library, and Kodi seamlessly streams it just like if it was stored locally. Unfortunately those plugins are always chasing a moving target, and they frequently break for indefinite periods of time.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:29 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
........Thoughts?
I love the look. As they say on Reddit, "DAT splash screen tho"
As Jorton was wondering, I also would like to see what a shadow on "TV" would look like, if it was the same depth, so to speak, as the one behind the symbol..
Old 08-25-2015, 08:22 PM
SageTVaholic

I will leave the graphics to others that have that talent....but for a name...

SageTV
Community Edition

Community Edition is used extensively for open source apps (based on a Google search) so although it's long it really states what this is or will be.

Of course the font on CE would be much smaller under the SageTV logo.
k
Old 08-25-2015, 08:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorton View Post
Hey ptzink,

If it's easy to do, I'd like to see another version of 1.01 without the shadow under the "TV".

Not sure why but the long extended shadow of the "TV" letters vs the short shadow under the logo don't seem to jive together. The long shadow does break up the solid logo shape though...

Thx for doing all this.

J

PS - Does anyone know what the original logo (overlapping oval shapes) meant? Did it have any meaning or reference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
I love the look. As they say on Reddit, "DAT splash screen tho"
As Jorton was wondering, I also would like to see what a shadow on "TV" would look like, if it was the same depth, so to speak, as the one behind the symbol..
You guys must be iOS folks. I kid. The long shadow under the "TV" is based loosely on the Material design guide for icons. https://www.google.com/design/spec/style/icons.html. You can find it in many Android icons (not sure about iOS) such as:

or

or

or

Admittedly, it's a little trendy, but I think it looks pretty sharp in this application. Also, it doesn't hurt to be trendy as you try to attract new developers and users. As the trends update so can the logo, but I prefer smaller changes that incorporate the heritage of the brand (green "flower" in this case).
That being said, I have attached a completely flat logo (1.01b - no drop or stylized shadows) and one with only the drop shadow under the "flower" (1.01c).
Attached Images
File Type: png sagetv-logo-concept-1.01b-flat.png (46.7 KB, 240 views)
File Type: png sagetv-logo-concept-1.01c-flat-w-drop.png (118.6 KB, 226 views)
Old 08-25-2015, 09:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
While it kind of hurts to say this, I look at Sage as basically an interim solution to get me through until I can get whatever "TV" type content I want directly via the internet, on demand.
My ideal solution for video media is essentially Spotify for video that includes all movies and TV shows ever made and all live sports(available with PVR like functionality the moment a game starts). For that I am willing to replace my current spend on media and even pay a bit more - say about $150/month. This way the content providers in Hollywood, etc got more revenue then they do today and I get the option of watching anything at anytime. But it would disrupt too many people so it ain't gonna happen unless people get desperate - which is I guess why we have this (or pretty close to it) in the music world.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:45 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
You guys must be iOS folks. I kid.
You are correct! All iOS in my house

It was more my grade 8 art teacher's voice in my head saying that the long shadow on the "TV" doesn't match the short shadow of the logo... Perspective seemed wrong but if it's in the "Google" icon guidelines it must be cool

I'm still curious what the significance of the leafy or flower like shape is... Sage leaves? What does it have to do with TV? It's really only is used on the icon, splash screen and the logo in the bottom right corner of the menu.

Maybe a new logo/shape is in order for the new open source product? It's changed before. I'm with the keep the Sagetv name crowd but think the logo and font could use a little love.

Other products change from time to time, XBMC changed to Kodi with a new logo.

J

Last edited by jorton; 08-25-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
But there was a very good reason for that as the name XBMC stands for Xbox Media Center which makes no sense as it doesn't work on the last two generations of Xbox.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
You are correct! All iOS in my house

It was more my grade 8 art teacher's voice in my head saying that the long shadow on the "TV" doesn't match the short shadow of the logo... Perspective seemed wrong but if it's in the "Google" icon guidelines it must be cool

I'm still curious what the significance of the leafy or flower like shape is... Sage leaves? What does it have to do with TV? It's really only is used on the icon, splash screen and the logo in the bottom right corner of the menu.

Maybe a new logo/shape is in order for the new open source product? It's changed before. I'm with the keep the Sagetv name crowd but think the logo and font could use a little love.

J
I actually think it iterated from the original sage logo (depicted earlier in this thread). The original had 3 overlapping circles. The newer sage logo is actually made of 8 circles overlapping, then the single layer portions removed. It made a natural flower shape. The green color was likely to work better with the rest of the UI, that in 2005 had the 'every UI needs to have a lot of blue on it' paradigm that existed then.

I will say that the sagetv icon is very recognizable, and not something I've seen even close to by any other product, so it serves it's trademarking purpose quite nicely.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-25-2015, 10:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Sorry Fuzzy - I don't see the 8 overlapping circles, especially given the point at the ends. I see 8 overlapping semi-transparent leaves.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:09 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
But there was a very good reason for that as the name XBMC stands for Xbox Media Center which makes no sense as it doesn't work on the last two generations of Xbox.
Yes, but the last time Sagetv changed from three circles to leafy shapes they didn't stop supporting Xbox

Just saying maybe a more modern take or minor change could be good.

And ptzink has already taken it that way by flattening the logo and removing the overlap.

J