SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:50 AM
Sage Expert

Sean, if you're to-do list still has some room on it, how's about a KODI PVR add on too?

I think (quite) a few of us already use the SageTV add on but having live tv on Kodi devices would help eliminate the need to run a second PVR server (I'm using nPVR). I _think_ read somewhere that KODI needs a way to connect to the PVR backend via HTTP streaming and I also _think_ I heard Jeff say that that had been added and is included in v9, but I could be sadly mistaken.

Just trying to make sure you've always got a side project to work on! Thanks for all you do.
Sage Mini Client on Amazon Fire Sticks and Android TVs
Old 09-23-2015, 07:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinki View Post
Sean, if you're to-do list still has some room on it, how's about a KODI PVR add on too?

I think (quite) a few of us already use the SageTV add on but having live tv on Kodi devices would help eliminate the need to run a second PVR server (I'm using nPVR). I _think_ read somewhere that KODI needs a way to connect to the PVR backend via HTTP streaming and I also _think_ I heard Jeff say that that had been added and is included in v9, but I could be sadly mistaken.

Just trying to make sure you've always got a side project to work on! Thanks for all you do.
I'll be honest, I don't see myself doing this, although it would be a good project for someone. I think SageTV, with Gemstone and/or Phoenix, is a much better system than the XBMC. I came from XBMC setup originally, and I still install it from time to time, but when I use it, I really don't find it a good experience compared to SageTV. (I think some of that is bias on my part from being immersed into SageTV for so long, but I lack any passion for XMBC/Kodi)
Old 09-23-2015, 07:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Secondly, is the mobile usage. This can be handled with either a native approach, in which case, it will be a separate UI, likely different between iOS and Android, due to being developed independently, and only done so because the core STV functionality lacks good touch capabilities. Personally, I'd much rather see this fixed by adding proper touch capabilities to STV than by segmenting the UI's between platform. Remember, we HAVE the core code now, so we can add new input commands. Once added to the core, it will obviously also require tweaks to the STV itself to handle those inputs, but this will allow touch capability on non-mobile (touchscreen desktops for instance) as well. It will also allow STV plugins, tweaks and improvements to be felt across the entire 'product line'.
Having looked at converting MiniClient to iOS I've been giving this a lot of thought. One of the problems I have as far as using MiniClient for mobile (e.g. iPhone & iPad) is its efficiency. Throwing a whole UI from the server is not the most efficient approach. Especially with mobile devices that unless connected to wifi have imposed data usage limitations. Not the best environment to be composing a whole UI through.

My other concern aside from data usage is latency. Users of mobile devices don't want a whole lot of latency. I see enough latency when using SageTV at home on my HD300 & HD200. I can't imagine the latency impact of running the MiniClient on a mobile device over a cellular nework. It may just border on unusable.

For these reasons I'm going to focus my efforts on a native iOS app using sagex. Video can be done somehow. I know the Mobile Web Interface does video streaming. So it is possible. I realize now this could have been done all along. I think the open sourcing of SageTV has given new life to a product on life support.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Having looked at converting MiniClient to iOS I've been giving this a lot of thought. One of the problems I have as far as using MiniClient for mobile (e.g. iPhone & iPad) is its efficiency. Throwing a whole UI from the server is not the most efficient approach. Especially with mobile devices that unless connected to wifi have imposed data usage limitations. Not the best environment to be composing a whole UI through.

My other concern aside from data usage is latency. Users of mobile devices don't want a whole lot of latency. I see enough latency when using SageTV at home on my HD300 & HD200. I can't imagine the latency impact of running the MiniClient on a mobile device over a cellular nework. It may just border on unusable.
I agree the latency could be an issue, for a mobile phone, although I haven't tested it yet, so I don't know what it would be like. As for the efficiency of the placeshifter protocol... I think you'd be surprised on how efficient it is. While it does render frame by frame, it is not sending entire frames, it is sending "blocks" that build up a frame, and reusing cached textures to minimize the transfers (not unlike how a native app would so the same in terms of using fanart, etc). That's why, if people have installed the Android version, they'll notice that it's sluggish initially, but it gets faster as you use it, since more of the textures are loaded and cached. That being said, I am seeing that frames with 1000s of textures (like the plugin selection screen) is really slow to render.. But it's not slow to render on the HD300, so I have to wonder what I'm doing wrong

I think a native iOS app would be good. Video playback is always going to be problematic (it was for me on the Android side), and Live TV, is especially problematic. But now that source is opened, there may be things you can do at the server level to ease those pains.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I know the Mobile Web Interface does video streaming.
It does the HTTP live streaming used by Apple on iOS devices and AppleTV, though things have probably improved since the last time the project was updated...

http://sageplugins.cvs.sourceforge.n...ediaStreaming/
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 11-03-2015, 04:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Air video HD now on appletv 4
Old 11-03-2015, 05:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
Air video HD now on appletv 4
have you tried that combo out yet?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-03-2015, 05:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Plex for Apple TV 4 is also out.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
have you tried that combo out yet?

I guess not.

I had very little time check out new toy. It's getting wrapped up for Christmas.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Plex for Apple TV 4 is also out.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Sage Expert

is it possible to integrate Sage recordings into Plex?

i spied Plex on my birthday-gift AppleTV 4 & installed it & the server application, but i am new to Plex.

I have been running Sage v6 quietly & efficiently since the google purchase, and i havent futzed with it at all, so i figure now is the time
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 11-04-2015, 01:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandor View Post
is it possible to integrate Sage recordings into Plex?

i spied Plex on my birthday-gift AppleTV 4 & installed it & the server application, but i am new to Plex.

I have been running Sage v6 quietly & efficiently since the google purchase, and i havent futzed with it at all, so i figure now is the time
Yes, it is. It's not really the most elegant solution. The author of the SageTV plugin is attempting to make it more flexible as far as being able to make the watched progress two-way. It still has it's limitations though.

That being said there are a couple methods of integration. The first and, IMHO, better solution is sagetv-for-plexmediacenter. Someone has also created sagetv-phoenix-plex-channel.

In my opinion the Plex channel system is quite limited. Granted, I haven't tried it in some time but the last time I gave it a whirl I felt clumsy in comparison to the scanner & agent.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:23 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Yes, it is. It's not really the most elegant solution. The author of the SageTV plugin is attempting to make it more flexible as far as being able to make the watched progress two-way. It still has it's limitations though.

That being said there are a couple methods of integration. The first and, IMHO, better solution is sagetv-for-plexmediacenter. Someone has also created sagetv-phoenix-plex-channel.

In my opinion the Plex channel system is quite limited. Granted, I haven't tried it in some time but the last time I gave it a whirl I felt clumsy in comparison to the scanner & agent.

Cool.

So, in theory, the sagetv-forplexmediacenter plugin should work fine if i am running SageTV on a windows box & plex on a macintosh box?

I just install the proper components in the correct locations & make sure they are pointed at each other?
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
Old 11-04-2015, 01:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandor View Post
Cool.

So, in theory, the sagetv-forplexmediacenter plugin should work fine if i am running SageTV on a windows box & plex on a macintosh box?

I just install the proper components in the correct locations & make sure they are pointed at each other?
Yes.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:41 PM
Sage User

Quote:

I have now been using Plex on the Apple TV 4 as a SageTV viewer and I have to say I am pretty impressed. There are definitely settings that need to be tweaked, but it is a pretty easy turn key solution.

Pluses:
A great ATV4 interface with a number of media views comparable to a SageTV client
Direct untranscoded playback of h264 ac3 progressive scan video
Syncs "watched" with SageTV

Minuses:
No programme guide or recording management
No live TV

Last edited by Vaskill; 11-21-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:08 PM
Sage Expert

For now, i am using Infuse to play files directly from my SageTV recordings directory.
And using Channels to play live tv.

It seems Channels is working on a DVR too - it will be interesting to see how this works out. My tuners have always been HDHRs, so using them (currently) with Sage & Channels (on the ATV4) has been working well.
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809: